• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

POLL: SURVIVE! EDC-4 Preorder Promotion. Would you participate?

Would you participate in a EDC-4 Preorder promotion?

• No thanks, not for me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I would buy one!

• Yes, I would buy two!

• Yes, I would buy three!

• I need Christmas gifts. Sign me up for four!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
BOOM.

This message was sent to you at the request of Survive Knives to notify you that the electronic shipment information below has been transmitted to UPS. The physical package(s) may or may not have actually been tendered to UPS for shipment. To verify the actual transit status of your shipment, click on the tracking link below or contact Survive Knives directly.

Important Delivery Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scheduled Delivery: 17-April-2013

but 17 April? good god, when did UPS switch to delivery by oxen-pulled wagon? i'm pretty sure i could drive a moped from Pennsylvania to
Washington State faster than that.

ah well, it's a GOOD wait when you know you're getting a knife at the end of it. like a little christmas in april.

One thing though, I need this to work with a firesteel and just by feeling the spine corners, I'm not thinking this is going to happen as they are quite rounded...

Some use files or stones to change the spine of the blade. Personally, i prefer to use a file or stone or some other tool to act as the scraper. You're already carrying the firesteel, why not a decent scraper also? In emergency, a small section of the knife edge will also do the trick.

Some use files or stones to change the spine of the blade. Personally, i prefer to use a file or stone or some other tool to act as the scraper. You're already carrying the firesteel, why not a decent scraper also? In emergency, a small section of the knife edge will also do the trick.

Yeah, but I use it enough that I always have the knife and firesteel together. One less thing to carry. I know Guy said the spine would work, but it will not. It has to actually feel like it catches on your fingerprints when you run them over the spine edge. This one is buttery smooth. So it is a no go.

grab yourself a diamond file, and maybe sharpen the edge up a small amount on one edge of the spine. just enough to make contact with the steel ?? maybe. or use the striker most provide.

Well, I've got an initial review all typed out comparing this knife to a BRKT Bravo 1 and a Swamp Rat HRLM. Now I just need a decent day with time to take the pictures! By the way, the GSO-4.1 is strikingly similar to the BRKT Bravo 1 spear-point field knife, with some important differences (including the price)...

Well, I've got an initial review all typed out comparing this knife to a BRKT Bravo 1 and a Swamp Rat HRLM. Now I just need a decent day with time to take the pictures! By the way, the GSO-4.1 is strikingly similar to the BRKT Bravo 1 spear-point field knife, with some important differences (including the price)...

Post it. You can always add your pics later. I was thinking it would be closer to the Gunny but maybe I should have looked at dimensions closer.

Monday delivery for me. Very excited.

Post it. You can always add your pics later. I was thinking it would be closer to the Gunny but maybe I should have looked at dimensions closer.

Monday delivery for me. Very excited.

Here's a quick, ugly picture comparing an original Bravo 1 to the GSO-4.1. The GSO fits in its leather sheath:
000_0214.JPG

Here's a quick, ugly picture comparing an original Bravo 1 to the GSO-4.1. The GSO fits in its leather sheath

Interesting. Thanks for the sheath info, that is good to know. Looking forward to your comparison review. I have a few Bark Rivers on my wish list, not the Bravo 1, but do not have any presently.

Was scheduled for arrival on 15, came today before noon. Needless to say was quite thrilled and quite surprised, was a little bit smaller than expected and have to have it in your hand to get a grasp and realize how compact the design is, the hidden lanyard hole is just excellent.:thumbup:
Bevel lines are clean straight and the edge is very sharp, tumble finish looks beautiful, sheath is secure and pops in an out w/o hassle.

But...

The only thing I'm disappointed in is that I emailed Guy last week (or the week before...I'd have to check the email) and asked if I could switch my m390 to 3v if there was any 3v extras. He relied right away saying it was done, but sure enough, I got m390, which is a bummer. Guess it's time to make a trade thread

In the boat here, originally ordered two M390s, had a change of mind and mailed to see if one of them can be swapped for 3V along with scales and sheath option, when received nothing was changed.

Alright, been fiddling my 4.1 for the last few hours, figure I'll keep both M390s for a knife this size.
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but Guy if you're reading this, are there any plans to sell scale and sheath sets in the near future?

Looking forward to the GSO 3.5 as the 4.1 is probably at the max I would carry based on its size. As for the stainless to be chosen, I know you want to stick with US made and like that concept, but I don't think there is much better stainless out there than the M390 which I think is awesome.

I received my 4.1 in M390 and could not be happier. I was thinking it was going to be a bit bulky but I am pleased that it is smaller and more compact.
Its just great in hand; A perfect companion with the GSO 10.

I did a little carving with it and it did fine. I'm not going to use this size blade for anything heavy so I gave it a thinner, shallow convex grind to improve performance.
The M390 takes an incredible edge, I went to do a shave test with its new grind and it stuck to my skin the second it made contact and dug out a nice gash,
I then did the same thing to test the other direction and it opened me up again. It definitely works better as a cutting tool with the thin convex but its not for everyone.
If you plan on using your 4.1 hard the original edge is great.

Alright, been fiddling my 4.1 for the last few hours, figure I'll keep both M390s for a knife this size.
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but Guy if you're reading this, are there any plans to sell scale and sheath sets in the near future?

If he doesn't, I'll bet there will be some pretty lively trading going on!

Mine just arrived, I'm really impressed. Workmanship is beautiful, finish is perfect.
Edge is polished, and shaving sharp. Sheath retention is perfect, belt clip works
well for high carry. Knife balances well scales are comfortable and grippy.
Steel is AWESOME!

Does anyone know what hardness Guy is running the M390 at?
Thanks,
salmonkiller

58-60Rc if I remember correctly. Rc is important, but tempering and who heat treats it is just as important. Since these are hard use knives, you don't want the 60-62Rc that you see on pocket knives that are meant to be slicers. You'll want a slightly lower HT to make the steel tougher. Having Pete's Heat Treat do the work is probably just as important as what hardness Guy is having them done at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back