SHOT Show 2015

Not USA made, but I want to handle a Selkirk. And Buck added options to the traditional line last year via the Custom Shop. I'm late to Buck but am becoming a real fan pretty fast.

Last edited:
Here's a sweet small Buck Knife the New 017 THORN ... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

017 THORN...

:)

Thank you for posting that good picture Of the latest version of the Thorn ITE. With a length of about 6 inches and a stainless steel blade and G10 scales I wonder if this fixed blade would be a good candidate for pocket carry.

Just curious. Does anyone know when they'll put the 245 Matt would go knife up on the buck website for sale?

I read the posts in this thread and I laugh. Posters criticize some of the knives and say they don't know why Buck made this knife, that Buck needs to change this and that. Fortunately or unfortunately depending upon your feelings, Buck doesn't make knives just for "you". They make knives for everybody. I'm sure they realize not everyone is going to like every knife they make, but if they made knives to just attract a certain "group" they would be out of business very quickly. As I saw someone say, we haven't seen the entire catalog yet. These posts kind of remind me of an old thread where people were criticizing the name given to the Punk. Hey if you like the knife buy it, if not don't buy it. 300Bucks you have the right attitude, while you have not seen anything yet that appeals to you, you are happy that Buck has made new knives that other Buck collectors like and want. I do like some of the new knives that I've seen. I've already placed an order with Larry for the Matt Would Go knife and there are others I will be buying. I'm an avid Buck collector and will continue to be even if Buck does make some knives that aren't attractive to me.

Outstanding work revnewk! :thumbup:

I feel like king Oregon with the new knives parading before me thanks to your post. Much appreciated and enjoyed. May you live a thousand years. WTG.

I'm really glad to see on the video that the Open Season folders have a pocket clip...for deep pocket carry. Well done.

Thanks for the videos and descriptions revnewk. I really like the Open Season series with the Rosewood handles. I also notice the blades on the Compadre series aren't quite as bright red as the early pictures showed. Definitely some interesting new knives this year.

Thanks for the videos revnewk!

I think as far as "new" stuff goes, I'm still digging the Brahma but now, despite the Tanto blade, I'm really liking the boot knife too!

I really don't understand the auto-opening knife though. To deploy the blade you first have to disarm the safety? I don't see how that is any more convenient than a good flipper or assisted-opener, or even a good thumb stud. Maybe for someone missing an arm and missing the index finger on their only hand. People will buy it though... I have a couple of one button open and open/close autos, I don't get the safety, or the safety on the 2 flippers in that series for that matter.

From the videos, I'm about 50/50 on what I seen. With the exception of the boot knife, I don't like any of the knives in plastic or Kydex sheaths. If they were in leather or ballistic nylon, I may like them more, but Kydex? I don't understand...

At the end of the video with the tacticals, there are 3 more knives sitting on the table that I haven't seen in any of the videos. Did I miss something?

It may be too soon to get an answer to this, but can the pocket clip be removed from the 547 folding Skinner (rosewood scales)? I'm assuming it can be removed, but as I'm no fan of pocket clips, that would be a go/no go decision point for me.

Okay, saw the handle on the Selkirk in the video and I'm in for one. Looks like one of the most comfortable outdoors knives on the market right now with that beautifully rounded micarta. The steel snob in me wishes for something a bit nicer than 420HC, but I can live with that.

The Apex "borrows" heavily from the French Baladeo knife, made popular by mountaineer Conrad Anker.
baladeohero2_1_.jpg

Which video has the Selkirk?

The Compadres look better in video than static images. Wish the knife was flat or scandi ground though.

Back