Show us what's in your survival kit.

Mike, the gentle ribbing on THAT forum was NO problem at all (I seem to recall posting quite afew pics of Tamera (bless 'er!!) on there!)
A female member on yet another forum REALLY went to town on me though!!!
I DO remember reading that you carry a pic in your kit & I also recall reading a kit list off a commercial site, too.
I seem to recall an article about packing a kit for a child on the same site. The layout of the site was very TAD-ish, wish I could think which one it was.

PS Doc-Canada, youre a VERY bad man. But my girlfriend says to say "Hello"! LOL

eastr77,

How do you like that Hossum, I have been eyeballing one of those for a while...?

eastr77,

How do you like that Hossum, I have been eyeballing one of those for a while...?

it's been great to me so far it's my favorite big blade. going to get the rtak2 to see how they compair. the dayhiker will be in my hand in about a week:D

Eastr77, I really like the look of that Spyderco forester - I was thinking of adding one to my kit recently.

Why so many knives??? Because we are knife nuts of course! You should see what I used to carry. Necessary? No. Fun? Hell yes!

There's a difference though between what goes into a 'survival pack' and what goes into a rucksack when I'm going hiking. The former is the essentials, the latter is the 'fun' part. As eastr77 said, his kit can be thinned down when appropriate.

thanks for getting the point of my pack when i thin it down to the must have items it losses the fun factor. but when your lost or traveling it's not about fun it's about have to have . when i hike with the wife and or kids i carry the camelback full of water the hossum 2 temperance all the other knives stay behind i don't need them just carry them for fun and conditioning carry more weight than i need so when i thin it down, when the time calls for it. makes it like carrying a feather compaired to what im used to. i was wanting help making sure when the time comes to thin it down i don't toss anything important or if i am missing anything you guy will be the ones to know what i need. thanks for any insight keep the post coming. and i don't like the mini psk for hiking for the same reason a shipwreck:D

Im gonna try to finally finish re-packing my SAS Tins in the new BCB mess tins & take some pics, too.
The main reason for the move is Im sick of tobacco tins "exploding open" when you take the lid off.
I usually have 2-3 packed kits & one "training" kit that I use for practice, this trainer is not as neatly packed, most of the contents have been used or opened (matches, puritabs, scalpel blades etc) & the sparklites/firesteels are well used.

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0005-1.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

PB020007.jpg

cgusek111, I would get rid of several knives and buy a real compass or whistle or two. They weigh much less than a half dozen knives.

cgusek111, I would get rid of several knives and buy a real compass or whistle or two. They weigh much less than a half dozen knives.

yeah well there not as much fun;) as the knives.plus when you have them you can find which one works best . so when you need to dump weight you know which one is the best for you:)

I do have two signal mirrors and three directional devices and one whistle. I was just too lazy too pull everything out, plus I remember my daughter in the next room was very quiet and you know what that means, lol. I'm used to carrying the knives, in fact I love to carry all the knives in the pic. They are all my favorite and I don't want to leave any behind. That may sound weird, but some of those knives also have sentimental value. That alone would help to boost my moral in a survival situation.

The knife strapped to the front of the pack is a modified Ontario machete. The pack is just simply a hydration pack w/ the bladder taken out of it.

Cool mod to your Ontario. I bought one of the handguard ones & the guard is SOOOO uncomfortable on my fingers when I swing the machete. Looks like I'll be modding mine, too.

I just took the handle off and wrapped it in hockey stick grip tape, used it for a while and let it conform to my hand then I wrapped a layer of Wilson tennis racket grip. Turned out to be the most comfortable knife I've ever held. I also modified the blade shape to be not only for chopping, but gutting as well. I'll post a pic in a minute.
DSCF0009.jpg

Hey guys, as you may know I am going on a hunting trip here in Michigan tomorrow and have put together a little survival kit that will go into my backpack. My main concerns will be water, fire, and shelter. Here is a pic of all the goods laid out. By the way, most of this stuff I found around the house.

SurvivalKit.jpg

1) USMC Ka Bar Full Size
2) Holy Bible
3) Extra pair of wool socks
4) Emergency(space) blanket
5) Hand Sanitizer
6) Wrist Compass
7) Light My Fire Firesteel Scout
8) Small Flashlight in holster
9) RAT 3
10) Cotton balls with petroleum jelly and bic lighter
11) Film canister with more cotton balls with PJ
12) $4 in quarters with a few feet of paracord to keep them quiet
13) 12 6" tent stakes
14) Medical tape
15) Modified space blanket( reinforced duct tape edges and corners with holes in them for using as a quick shelter)
16) 2 packs of 4 hand warmers
17-19) Heavy duty clear garbage bags(these are really big I am 6"2' and one of these could eat me)
20) 4 sewing kits(shown above in previous post)
21) Medical supplies
22) 1 cup metal measuring cup for boiling H2O
23) Roll of duct tape
24) Several feet of braided string, extra pair of shoelaces, paracord, and twist-ties.

Not Shown: Nail clippers, floss, extra batteries, Remington 700 and Fatwood tinder and kindling wood. (Knives, flashlight, and compass will be on my person at all times) And sorry for the bad quality pic, it was taken with my cell phone.

Looks good.... perhaps add a SAK or MT to the mix. One with a saw.

The Bible is a nice touch. If things really go belly-up, you can use the pages for fuel.

Mark

Back