Spyderco Bushcraft total failure.(Warning:Knife gore present)

Status
Not open for further replies.
heh, glad I didn't waste that 300 dollars...

Nah, I don't think that's fair (these things cost $300!?!!) - it's, thus far, an isolated incident, and it's entirely possible there's a specific flaw in the knife. No human engineering/manufacturing process is 100% perfect every time.

These things happen and I tend to believe it a fluke more than to assume it is widespread. According to my thinking, the OP did right by testing. That his knife broke while testing it is far better then the alternative of it breaking when he was out in the field. I think people should use their blades harder in testing them to develop confidence in its abilities than what they do when they are out and about. I'm also a believer in having some kind of redundancy. I'm not going to bring 2 choppers with me, but I'll always have a spare 4" blade on me somewhere beyond what is in hand.

The fact that Spyderco sells them as 90$ seconds , probably means more knives is
going to get get batoned , and see some real hard use .

This is somewhat turning in to a "real world" mule project , very interesting to see what
the outcome will be .

wow ..well arnt they made in japan? or is it just the steel...I like their knives as a seat belt cutters because of the wicked teeth on most of their blades....but for survial and hard use ...im sticking with chris reeve or randall made....I have beat my shadow 1 and my model 14 through all kinda wood with no problems....hopefully spyderco will make it right that looked like a pretty knife..

Aww, just wrap it with some duct tape. Where is the W&SS spirit?

(Sorry 'bout that Savage, nice to see Sal stepping up.)

wow ..well arnt they made in japan? or is it just the steel...I like their knives as a seat belt cutters because of the wicked teeth on most of their blades....but for survial and hard use ...im sticking with chris reeve or randall made....I have beat my shadow 1 and my model 14 through all kinda wood with no problems....hopefully spyderco will make it right that looked like a pretty knife..

These are made in Taiwan and it's the first time for Spyderco using O-1 steel. Hopefully there will be a Gen 2 with everything worked out. These first ones are going to be a learning experience. I hope the next gen can be made in Golden from A2 or 1095 and still be affordable.

like all things spyderco, their prices are too inflated for me to justify spending. Even at 90 dollars for a factory second... for a factory made stainless steel bushcrafting knife? I have one that Cristof made me for just over that and I have damn near nuked the thing, haven't had to sharpen the edge in the 4 months I owned it. It's still shaving sharp. I just don't understand how companies can mass produce knives like these and sell them at such a high price when makers are producing handmade, custom blades for the same price.

like all things spyderco, their prices are too inflated for me to justify spending. Even at 90 dollars for a factory second... for a factory made stainless steel bushcrafting knife? I have one that Cristof made me for just over that and I have damn near nuked the thing, haven't had to sharpen the edge in the 4 months I owned it. It's still shaving sharp. I just don't understand how companies can mass produce knives like these and sell them at such a high price when makers are producing handmade, custom blades for the same price.

I think the 90 price was fair, since you get a decent leather sheath. And the steel is O1 - not stainless.

Glad the useless hole in the blade keep me away from buying one & now i know the scales problems and the skeletonized tang...

No thanks! Not for me!

But i can't wait to get my first Spyderco a G10 Endura.

For those of you "nay sayers" it's pretty easy to say "I told you so" after the fact. It's like driving up to an accident and saying,"I knew he'd eventually crash someday." Spyderco has done an excellent job and is my favorite company (from use and ownership, not a dealer standpoint) who has had nothing but excellent knives all these years and now that there is a sign of one "accident" a few of you drive up to put out your "I told you so's."

It could have been any knife, but it happened to this one. As for inflated prices, only you can make that decision. Some think a Military is too pricey, while others have dozens of them in all variations. Spyderco puts out quality that is similar to custom fit and finish. This was just one bad apple which was unfortunate for SS.

Best of luck, J.

Thanks for sharing this and I hope that you will get a replacement - I bought one of the seconds and after a few hours of handle fixing I was looking forward to using it.

Now I am concerned as to whether it will break and if so where and how. The last thing I want is the handle to break whilst I am holding it.

I think I will put it back into the box and go back to my trusted knives. Its a shame because it feels so good in the hand.

Never has one broken knife attracted so much attention, scorn and disappointment.
(The latter it seems, from some of those who either haven't used theirs yet or don't even own one to break)
I used mine hard and no problems yet.
Knives can break just like anything else man makes can.
As far as edges rolling, it happens. I've had a few other scandi's that were considered high-end knives from custom makers and I rolled the edges on a couple of them just with normal use. A stone will fix that up.
Anything with a sharp edge will need attention from time to time.

Last edited:
I've only used mine a bit around the house and my edge rolled pretty bad when I used it as a scraper on some Osage for an axe handle, but that may sharpen out. It really is fortunate that it broke in a safe testing location and not out in the wilds. My guess is too little of a temper or such HT issue. I look forward to hearing what the results are- my bushcraft came with just one crack in one scale so I look forward to using it!

I'm not questioning Spydeco quality, as their folders have never let me down. I am questioning the quality of this particular model. Second?... yes. Because issues with stabilization of the wood used for the handles, not because of issues with the steel treatment. If the bushcrafter can't stand up to buscraft tasks, it's disappointing. I have no intent to baby this knife or turn it into a safe queen. But I will not use it as a cheese knife either. If the steel fails, I expect spyderco to honor their well earned reputation and cover it under their warranty. Only fair, as I see it. I am not gonna argue the price, but still: $90 is $90.

I am not questioning their quality either thats an odd thing for O1 to do... there knives just are not my style I do own a couple of them but they sit on the shelf. they do make some mean serrations that will cut like teath on a shark.

savagesicslayer, I'd love to see some more close ups of the fracture surfaces, it would be interesting try and determine the failure method.

Thanks,

Dave

P3171258.jpg

this is as close as i have so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back