Spyderco Bushcraft total failure.(Warning:Knife gore present)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my knife did just fine today, in fact it did better than some more expensive knives I have. I believe this is a fluke...

I beat my knife steady for an hour. Most of the wood was maple. Not the hardest, but certainly not the softest wood. Some pieces were very knotty and grainy and had the knife under alot of stress. I never backed the knife out, I just beat it through. I want to mention that my belt knife is always a scandi grind knife of some sort as of late. I would consider everything in this video to be very hard use for a scandi ground knife. I carry other tools for splitting and sectioning wood. However, I wanted to make sure my knife would handle this and not fail like the 1 in this thread.
Enjoy the video

[youtube]bp3bcCd46kA[/youtube]

Well my knife did just fine today, in fact it did better than some more expensive knives I have. I believe this is a fluke...

I beat my knife steady for an hour. Most of the wood was maple. Not the hardest, but certainly not the softest wood. Some pieces were very knotty and grainy and had the knife under alot of stress. I never backed the knife out, I just beat it through. I want to mention that my belt knife is always a scandi grind knife of some sort as of late. I would consider everything in this video to be very hard use for a scandi ground knife. I carry other tools for splitting and sectioning wood. However, I wanted to make sure my knife would handle this and not fail like the 1 in this thread.
Enjoy the video

[youtube]bp3bcCd46kA[/youtube]

great stuff Tony..:thumbup: mine has been pretty solid so far.. though it has only been used for some light duty stuff around the house..:)

Nice job on the video Tony ... that should help to put some people at ease :thumbup:
Everyone who purchased a 2nd would be wise to put it to the test as well.

Cool stuff Tony. I plan on using mine harder than I have been this weekend too.

Well, I'm not much for beating on a knife. It had a nice look to it. Maybe if you don't send it back, you can throw the blade into an altoids can. They may not replace it and call it abuse. Good luck. I liked the knife but now I think I will pass on it. Regards, Loosearrow

Nice video Tony, a timely counterbalance in this thread! Sal waded into this place and commented, that is a great company response. If he wasn't serious, he would have been silent.

I have to say that I have never owned any Spyderco knives, but based on the consistently first class posts and responses from Spyderco rep's (Sal, I guess being some kind of bigwig in the company?), I would not hesitate to purchase a Spyderco product if I were in the market for a production blade.

And kudos to the folks on WSS who share these kinds of experiences... not only sharing the bad, but also talking up the good!

I have to say that I have never owned any Spyderco knives, but based on the consistently first class posts and responses from Spyderco rep's (Sal, I guess being some kind of bigwig in the company?), I would not hesitate to purchase a Spyderco product if I were in the market for a production blade.

And kudos to the folks on WSS who share these kinds of experiences... not only sharing the bad, but also talking up the good!

He's bigger than the big whig, he's THE big whig (owner-founder-commander in chief, etc...) :D

He's bigger than the big whig, he's THE big whig (owner-founder-commander in chief, etc...) :D

Even better! :thumbup:

It's nice to know there are folks out there who stand behind what they sell and aren't afraid to talk to the people who use their products and have a problem!

I'm gonna have to take a look at some Spyderco's to put on my list.

I was gonna say, maybe the knife is perfect and savagesicslayer is just a BEAST! :eek:

What tonym did is exactly what I wanted to do.Kudos for a great video btw.

the knife tilted forward as they sometimes do when batoning and the scale made contact with the wood.it cracked apart quite fast.I expected it to.the number of cracked scales out there told me that this wood isn't micarta strong.I started to back the knife out and when i thought it was free enough I hit the handle...what was left of the handle to free the knife and it snapped off.
I'll be sending the blade/tang back tomorrow.(payday)

I chose an old board for the sake of ease of batoning and for photo impressiveness(the huge pile of split wood looks cool with the knife).I started fine the edge carved through the wood easy.I noticed the scales started to buckle so I started backing it off.When i grabbed the blade and pulled it up it snapped off clean.

What tonym did is exactly what I wanted to do.Kudos for a great video btw.

the knife tilted forward as they sometimes do when batoning and the scale made contact with the wood.it cracked apart quite fast.I expected it to.the number of cracked scales out there told me that this wood isn't micarta strong.I started to back the knife out and when i thought it was free enough I hit the handle...what was left of the handle to free the knife and it snapped off.
I'll be sending the blade/tang back tomorrow.(payday)

I see a little difference on both post.....
the question remains did you hit the handle or not??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back