Spyderco, no longer the value it once was...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spydercos are just overrated. Never liked them (especially for the price) and will never own one.

How overrated? They're designed to perform well in cutting chores. Don't yours cut?

Correction: did the ones you handled not perform?

Spydercos are just overrated. Never liked them (especially for the price) and will never own one.

Cool, good to know. But, how does this add to the discussion? What is it that you do like? I'm betting it isn't overrated at all and priced just right? At least we know you don't speak from experience... Amazing how people just keep doing this, who needs facts, they are overrated too. ;)

Cool, good to know. But, how does this add to the discussion? What is it that you do like? I'm betting it isn't overrated at all and priced just right?

Emersons. He's into Emersons. Worth it to him so that's all that matters :yawn:

Should know better than to say such things when he hears it about what he likes all the time on the forums.

Emersons. He's into Emersons. Worth it to him so that's all that matters :yawn:

Should know better than to such things when he hears it about what he likes all the time on the forums.

I love Emerson knives too, I own 15 of them, but there is more to life than 154-CM. Ironic much? Lolz!

I love Emerson knives too, I own 15 of them, but there is more to life than 154-CM. Ironic much? Lolz!

We all have our favorite brands of course, very ironic though since he says that yet Emerson isn't exactly known around these parts as the beacon of value and is often called over-rated. Up to an individual to decide of course... Maybe it's human nature to return the favor having seen Emerson get ragged on over the years.

...Quick example: People have been requesting the return of the G10 Endura/Delica which was priced at around $90. Sal has said that it will significantly be more than that, around $130 now. DUE TO the power of the Yen and what makers are charging there. That's from Sal saying it. Is he lying or is he just sharing what he knows Hardheart? What do you think?

I bought a G10 Endura for a little less than $90, but it was after the price was lowered for the disco blowout. The typical cost on line was ~$118 before the blowout pricing. If they can sell them for ~$130 today, it would be a better deal than the G10 Worker.

That's the epitome of a blanket statement. Every single Spyderco is overrated and overpriced?!

Is this the person who placed an order for 10 Emerson Persian folders?

Thanks for the heads up. Just placed an order for 10 of them. The Perisan is definitely my all time favorite knife and will triple in value once they are discontinued.

I bought a G10 Endura for a little less than $90, but it was after the price was lowered for the disco blowout. The typical cost on line was ~$118 before the blowout pricing. If they can sell them for ~$130 today, it would be a better deal than the G10 Worker.

Uh oh, yeah north of $130 is possible. One thing going for it is they already have the tooling unlike the New Worker which is an updated design that just came out (recent tooling cost factored into the price). Gotta wonder how much the future Stretch ZDP in brown G10 will be and the CF version after that...

I was able to pick up a Spyderco Military Digi camo with a satin blade for $85 BNIB from the exchange here. I have not found a better place to buy knives yet. If you are patient, what you want will come along sooner or later. No reason to pay retail, unless you are impatient.

Just an observation ... Most of the knives that offer "less value" are coming from japan. A lot of their new models this year fall into this category, unfortunately. The golden produced knives offer exceptional value, in my opinion.

People need to realize that Spyderco is in vogue, or demand with many Spyderco Nuts who are like chipmunks who will gather up, collect, have to have anything Spyderco.

Don't like Spyderco? That is OK others are standing in line to get popular model like a Para II, or Sprint Runs, or Limited Editions.

I think a lot of that speaks to how popular the PM2 and Manix 2 are, in addition to the insanity of the secondary market prices. However not all limited editions are going crazy. Look at the S90V CF Manix 2 XL, on ebay you can almost always find a NIB one for less than the $275 MSRP, and on the boards they barely sell for the $225 pre-order price. Compare that with the S90V PM2 that's going over $600 today, or the Manix 2 (non-xl) CF S90V that easily goes north of $300 etc.

It's not just spyderco either, every ZT limited edition sells for way over MSRP, Hinderer insanity has been beaten to death, and you can tell when makers like George, Hoback, etc. release a mid-tech batch because half of them show up at 50% over what the maker sells them for here and on ebay.

It's a bad trend for knife consumers, makers are certainly not blind to this, they are going to see that the prices they are asking are way less than what the market will bear.

Thankfully there are still great non-limited deals to be had, but I only see prices for limited editions going up significantly. We've already seen it with the last couple sprints (be that dealer or spyderco's markup) and now the only way you'll get a ZT limited knife is at full MSRP direct from ZT.

Just an observation ... Most of the knives that offer "less value" are coming from japan. A lot of their new models this year fall into this category, unfortunately. The golden produced knives offer exceptional value, in my opinion.
:thumbup:I generally agree with the last sentence, but there is always an exception.I look at it on a knife by knife basis..........

Spyderco FFG blades make wicked slicers and are the benchline that I use to compare to any other production knives performance that I purchase.I seem to prefer slicers for the most part as they seem the most practical for my everyday uses.Most of the Golden produced knives are FFG hence my view that they have great value and provide great real world performance.I have always felt that I got more than my moneys worth and more from my Spyderco purchases.Times are changing with the newest releases my value scale is moving another direction and my future purchases will have to be managed on a case by case basis.I will see if I am feeling it when the time comes.Spyderco seems to crank out must-haves in my book year after year..I probably paid less for the sprints that I own than some who have chased the same production models when the supply was at a low point and the street price was high. A PM2 would be my example.An Elmax PM2 is not worth $200 in my book, but unfortunately if you want that particular model, then that's the price you will pay before tax and shipping.Sorry, but I will pass on that model and feel that a ZT 0770CF is a better value for me personally.It's all relative and how you look at it and If there is value for your needs, tastes,WANTS,and of course if the knife is practical for your intended uses.Some of the newest production models that are going for over $200 street price I tend to prefer other manufacturers because I just can't justify the purchase in my mind for the going price.There is always the exception and I try not let any marketing or other types of hype /influence/fanboy posts cloud my decisions of what knives carry value for my personally.There is value for everyone sprinkled throughout Spyderco's lineup and we all have a contrasting judgement as to what has value to each of us individually.

Last edited:
Spyderco's lock backs are known to have bladeplay (in fact most lock backs do except for a few that account for wear... tri ad lock iirc is one).

Which is why you can't say that's a weakness of Spyderco - lockbacks have some play, yes, but their lifespan and reliability makes up for it.

Wrong. ZT 0770 has better geometry for edc, it is not as delicate as a PM2's blade. The tip on the Pm2 is infamously delicate. The lack of sharpening choil doesn't help the PM2. The huge handle footprint to blade ratio while somewhat comfortable isn't worth it.

Everything you just mentioned is completely subjective. The Para 2 is by far the most comfortable folder I've ever used for my hands, and the delicate tip helps with finer work quite often. You can't tell me that my EDC preferences are wrong.

M390 and CTS 204P and are not much better than Elmax. Remember one of the benefits of those steels was toughness while keeping good edge retention. That's what Elmax is. This is speaking in production level. In the custom world, it's a whole other ballgame. M390 beats it hands down when it's perfectly HTed.

For the slight decrease in toughness with M390, you get far better edge retention. It's a tradeoff, and everybody has their preferences, but I for one will gladly trade a slight decrease in one area for a quantum leap in another.

Hello? History? Axis lock? Benchmade didn't create the axis lock they just basically bought it.

I just don't know how that's relevant.

I've dealt with a lot of knife companies. So far Benchmade has the best service.

I'm happy for you that that's been the case, but my experience with them hasn't been the best. And on the other hand, my experience with Spyderco has been great. You can't tell me that my experience is wrong - again, this is a case where I'm putting forth my experience and subjective preferences, and you're telling me they're wrong.

Business.

Uh... ok.

Anyways we'll agree to disagree, aye?

Of course - I'm not telling you you're wrong, I was just stating my own opinions. I really didn't mean to start an argument over it, this is just part of the discussion.

But yes, I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

True Spyderco Nuts as I like to call them would buy anything sold by Spyderco. Spyderco Hot Sause, Peanut Butter, call it Spyderco and they will stand in line for it.

Meh I dunno. I love them all equally. I use to be a Spyderco only kinda guy, but then I tried out a ZT, then BM, CRK, mid-techs etc.

I love that you can buy a M2 LW with 110V though. I don't have one, but will probably try to get one.

I know from the making side of things that processing some of the crazy steels is very expensive. The cost of the steel is high, but actually grinding it can be extremely expensive as well. Add in a complex heat treatment with cryo and the use of these steels raises the price of manufacture significantly.

I say bravo to Spyderco for staying on the cutting edge (zing!) and making the products that we want. To argue against their products is just silly imo. But I won't disparage other companies for selling wares at what we are obviously willing to pay either. :)

People need to realize that Spyderco is in vogue, or demand with many Spyderco Nuts who are like chipmunks who will gather up, collect, have to have anything Spyderco.

So to these people Spyderco are still attractive, and in demand. IMHO Spyderco as a company is consumer friendly, and very customer service orientated compared with other knife manufactures.

Don't like Spyderco? That is OK others are standing in line to get popular model like a Para II, or Sprint Runs, or Limited Editions.

Spyderco has reached the point where they have a cult like following of people who love anything Spyderco, so they will ride the wave of success until there are no more waves. If and when that happens I will not predict.

True Spyderco Nuts as I like to call them would buy anything sold by Spyderco. Spyderco Hot Sause, Peanut Butter, call it Spyderco and they will stand in line for it.

So, you don't like Spyderco knives and you object to people liking them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back