Spyderco, no longer the value it once was...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have lots of Spyderco and lots of Benchmade knifes, and the idea that with Benchmade's pricing policy *anyone* could consider Benchmade a better value is beyond comical. :rolleyes: :thumbdn:

Prices of Spyderco knives are going through the roof. I have been a long time Spyderco guy but am now a days finding their knives offering less and less value (although they do offer the most interesting variety of design and blade steel). All the new Spyderco are coming out at around $200 retail pushing $300, that's getting into Sebenza territory and is plain ridiculous.

Not too long ago, Spyderco used to be the value option against Benchmade, however these days Benchmade (even with their MAP price enforcement) is much CHEAPER than Spyderco's new models. Most BM knives are under $200 and their warranty is head and shoulders above Spyderco's, free pocket clips, blade replacement, no $5 shipping charge etc...

Now before anyone jump on me about the made in U.S. Spyderco Para 2, Manix 2 being a good value. First of all, the new Para 2, Yojimbo 2 when they first came out all cost around $90-$100. Nowdays due to demand they're for sale around $150-$175 new on many dealer's websites and that's if they're in stock. So who's gouging us? Did Spyderco increase whole sale prices due to demand or are the dealers trying to make more money? Maybe both? And the FFG Manix 2 is impossible to find also.

I understand supply and demand perfectly and if people are willing to pay these prices for Spydercos then yes they are worth the asking price. I'm simply pointing out that Spyderco's business strategy has changed and is no longer the value option it used to be years ago.

Personally I'm ditching my Spydercos unless the design really appeals to me and going more Benchmade.

I have lots of Spyderco and lots of Benchmade knifes, and the idea that with Benchmade's pricing policy *anyone* could consider Benchmade a better value is beyond comical. :rolleyes: :thumbdn:

Absolutely agree. The BM Grip was my first quality knife and it was realistically priced at $72. Now they are nearly $100 with plastic handles. You can get an American Spyderco (If that concerns you) Manix FFG in G10 for cheaper. At the end of the day, they are still a much better value.

BM does make a quality knife but they take advantage of the "I only buy American" crowd. If the Sage 1 with CF grips and S30v steel were being produced by BM, it would be a $200 knife.

Kershaw offered it, 110V, in the Shallot series a few years back for around $60-$70. For that price you got the 110V blade, full stainless steel handles, the Kershaw "Speedsafe" assisted opening mechanism, a blade flipper, and a true pocket clip instead of a bent piece of wire. This was true value in a knife. Don't take me wrong, I love most Spydercos myself, just not crazy about their FRN knives.

Sure they did but at what hardness?

People need to realize that Spyderco is in vogue, or demand with many Spyderco Nuts who are like chipmunks who will gather up, collect, have to have anything Spyderco.

So to these people Spyderco are still attractive, and in demand. IMHO Spyderco as a company is consumer friendly, and very customer service orientated compared with other knife manufactures.

Don't like Spyderco? That is OK others are standing in line to get popular model like a Para II, or Sprint Runs, or Limited Editions.

I had one but I never really used it. So I can't say how well it performed. I see them selling for $200 + now days which is just crazy. Im seriously considering doing the blade swap thing on my G-10 Manix with a 110V blade. Now that would be a knife as Mr Dundee said.

The most popular spydercos are all in the $100 range. Para 2 $120 manix 2-$100, manix s110 $110, native 5 $120, delica 4 $60, dragonfly $50, manix lightweight $80, endura $60, caly 3.5 $100, sage series $100-$150. Yea your guna obviously have certain spydercos that are guna hit the $200+ range but what knife company doesnt. From what ive seen since i started buying spydercos, everyone that i have owned has been worth every cent. Yea you have some like the domino, southard, dice flippers in the $200 range and from what i see thats what alot of companys are charging for a nice flipper now a days. (Zt) yea i wish they would be cheaper, everyone does but i cant say after owning the southard and domino that they are not worth the money. I didnt buy spydercos back in the 90s or early 2000's so i cant compare the past spydercos to present, but im assuming 99% of spyderco buyers would say the value has went up along with the quality.

I had one but I never really used it. So I can't say how well it performed. I see them selling for $200 + now days which is just crazy. Im seriously considering doing the blade swap thing on my G-10 Manix with a 110V blade. Now that would be a knife as Mr Dundee said.

Agreed! The S110V on a G10 Manix2 handle would be something. If they ever get back in stock, I might try it. I've been waiting for it to become available once more.

Compared to Benchmade they are still a fair deal. Benchmade's new pricing puts them in ripoff territory. I'm a Benchmade fan but I will no longer by their knives just because. I really have to love the model to justify myself getting gouged.

Last edited:
Spyderco PM2 $90.00 NAVEX...readily available, and not really sought after by many military. ZT 0566 $90.00 NAVEX as well, and somewhat more popular. Personally, I have just 4 Spyderco's that I'll keep, and one ZT 0350 in orange that I'll keep, and all bought at less than $100.00 each. Same knives today are priced way over what they're worth; of course, YOMV.

I am guessing brick and mortar?

I tried to understand what the OP was saying but I can't. All of the points made in the first post have been refuted throughout this thread, so I am not going to revisit them. I would concede that a number of the new models coming out are up there in price - I think that Spyderco is looking at a more upscale market with the more expensive offerings. They have been pushing into that market lately - Lionspy comes to mind. Supply and demand - there have been more expensive offerings from just about all the manufacturers that seem to be selling like hotcakes indicating that there is a market. Spyderco would be doing a disservice to itself by not competing in that market, which they do, very well, I might add. I said I would not revisit points made, but there are plenty of fantastic knives available from Spyderco in the 60-120.00 range. I simply do not agree with points made in the original post.

OK, what the hell, I'll throw my .02 in the bucket …

I like Spyderco knives. I like BM knives. Some Kershaw USA offerings are arguably the best bang for the buck on the market.
It all comes down to what is of value to you, and how deep your pockets are.
If a newbie asks me what knife to buy, the standard answer is "what do you want to do with it?"
The key advantages I see in Spyderco is that they embrace modern steels, and aren't afraid to "put it out there" with new designs; and so I feel they are generally good value … BM makes a fine product, but they play "safe" with their steels and designs IMO, and because of that I think they are a bit pricey. How long can 154CM and S30V be your premium steels? They are great steels, don't get me wrong, I am a big S30V fan … but Sal & Co. are putting out offerings that outperform it, and at (usually) more competitive prices.
Sprint and limited runs are a different animal entirely, and if you MUST have that limited edition SlamDammit with Unicorn Hoof scales that's been signed by a leprechaun, well … then the assumption is you're willing to pay for it.
As far as specific models being unavailable, c'mon - wait it out, watch the forums, keep your eye on the known 'fair' dealers … you should know the drill by now.
I own a number of excellent BM knives - some that I will never part with; but I personally feel that Spyderco is still generally the best value to those who covet performance steels and quality construction.
Of course, YOMV.

~ Edge

I like Spyderco knives. I like BM knives. Some Kershaw USA offerings are arguably the best bang for the buck on the market.
If a newbie asks me what knife to buy, the standard answer is "what do you want to do with it?"
The key advantages I see in Spyderco is that they embrace modern steels, and aren't afraid to "put it out there" with new designs; and so I feel they are generally good value … BM makes a fine product, but they play "safe" with their steels and designs IMO, and because of that I think they are a bit pricey. How long can 154CM and S30V be your premium steels? They are great steels, don't get me wrong, I am a big S30V fan … but Sal & Co. are putting out offerings that outperform it, and at (usually) more competitive prices.
Sprint and limited runs are a different animal entirely, and if you MUST have that limited edition SlamDammit with Unicorn Hoof scales that's been signed by a leprechaun, well … then the assumption is you're willing to pay for it.
As far as specific models being unavailable, c'mon - wait it out, watch the forums, keep your eye on the known 'fair' dealers … you should know the drill by now.
I own a number of excellent BM knives - some that I will never part with; but I personally feel that Spyderco is still generally the best value to those who covet performance steels and quality construction.
Of course, YOMV.

~ Edge

We'll said sir!

"Unicorn Hoof scales that's been signed by a leprechaun"

Lol. I'm saving up for that LE.

I think what most are seeing is that Spyderco has shifted from stainless and frn handles to lined G10, carbon fiber, nishijin, titanium, bolsters, bone, etc. The variety, the sprints, this all imparts extra costs and reduces the ability to maximize the output on equipment. Set ups, changeovers, this costs time and money. After the initial cost of molds, frn handles are pretty cheap, but demand is there for a lot more than frn. Spyderco meets that demand, but it has to cost more. Personally, I always loved the super steel + serviceable handle type knives. I got what I wanted in the blade, and only what I needed in the handle. Great value. The ethnic designs, the short lived collabs, they are gorgeous, unique, and pricier. They don't always appeal to everyone, so they can tie up funding waiting to be sold. This puts more pressure on other models since they all cost Spyderco money to make, and they have to keep paying the bills and their employees. They've done a good job of maintaining products for multiple price levels and buyers concerned with performance, aesthetics, and collectibility. But, while servicing some, it's going to bother others, as different customers have different motivations, and som will be in direct opposition. Some will be bothered by the "cheap" products under the brand, while others will be bothered by the "overpriced". It's a sign of good value and good marketing when you can appeal to everyone, but that means you'll also end up pissing off someone from every segment, and not just one or two. That doesn't matter as much as making most everyone else happy.

Also, since I didn't see anyone mention it (I may have missed it) the price of metals has gone up with the increased demand from China and India. If anything, that's going to drive up prices of knives, along with perhaps more demands on other professional services the knife industry uses that tie in with this growth. Machining, hardware manufacture, heck even the handle materials are phenolics and laminates used in aerospace and electrical work. Demand elsewhere will affect knife manufacture and knife prices. Still, that isn't about the exchange rate over the last year or so.

Of course, YOMV.

~ Edge

Saved me a bunch of typing and said it better than I could have anyway. Thanks Edge.

Spydercos are just overrated. Never liked them (especially for the price) and will never own one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back