• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Steven Ketchen <spketch> MIA: Overbooked? Off the grid? Lost his phone? What's up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell, I figure if the Det. knows what they look like and he has a warrant, maybe he can seize them and fly em back home, that's why I included the pics-- who knows if it's helpful or not??? :confused: I've never been involved in such a clusterf#*k like this before...it sucks. :mad:

Yeah @DNAIrradiator that's a great idea and I just followed thru with your suggestion, here's what my email looked like:

Thank you again Det....here's a listing of my knives and conservative secondary market values that were shipped to, and received by Steven Ketchen:

1. Spyderco Tatanka <black handles> $160
2. Spyderco Dodo <blue handles> $160
3. Spyderco Police <black handles> $150
4. Spyderco Chaparral <black handles> $100

In addition, I paid him for 2 slabs of fancy Ctek handle raw material slabs in unfinished condition $60

Total: $630

Here are pics of what my knives look like <these are not pics of MY actual knives but they look exactly like these and all are in NEW condition>:

1. Tatanka, it's quite large

mail

2. Spyderco Blue Dodo, small knife

mail

3. Spyderco Police, it is quite large like the Tatanka, but more slender
mail

4. Spyderco Chaparral, another smallish knife
mail
That's what all the emails need to contain so value can be put to the charges.

I will be compiling a package of:'picture of knife and value, letter from credit union on when he cashed my check along with an email asking if he received the knife/check along with his email acknowledging receipt. To dang computer stupid to bundle all the info and send it via email.

Sure would of rather had knife pimped by Ketchen than go through this mess. Looks like the boys in a heap of trouble and is about to bet his just reward.

I will be compiling a package of:'picture of knife and value, letter from credit union on when he cashed my check along with an email asking if he received the knife/check along with his email acknowledging receipt. To dang computer stupid to bundle all the info and send it via email.

Sure would of rather had knife pimped by Ketchen than go through this mess. Looks like the boys in a heap of trouble and is about to bet his just reward.

Yup, even at this point I'd prefer to have my knives customized and I'd even love to return his fees to him...but he's shit his bed this time it would appear...so sad.

Yup, even at this point I'd prefer to have my knives customized and I'd even love to return his fees to him...but he's shit his bed this time it would appear...so sad.
Well Pete you reluctantly started this thread more as I see it as a wake up call for Steve to get his act together.

Look at what it morphed into...'the uncovering of a scam that affected quite a few people. I know it wasn't your intention of burning Steve,'he did that to himself, but to nudge him in the right direction. Unfortunately or fortunately it uncovered a man who turned to thievery for unknown reasons.

It's sad to see a once upright person of great talent use a gift for unsavory gain.'but he did and was unmasked thanks to you. We may not get our knives back but collectively we may have saved others from being scammed and that's the only good I can take away from this experience along with an empty wallet and loss of a good knife.

I hold out a very dim hope that he just slipped into a funk and will some how dig his way out and make good but the wind is strong and the candle flickers

I've got to say, as unnecessary and crappy this situation has been, that I'm pretty pleased that law enforcement has become involved -- only because it seems like these cases of some forum member getting ripped off never involve helpful authorities.

Well,...I must say what a waste of one time real talent! Several months ago I bought a used Spyderco Gayle Bradley (the original version GB1 with the solid liners), and it came with both the unmounted original scales, ....along with a pair of Steve's black G10 scales mounted on the knife. A perfect fit too, and all for just $90 to boot! Hell of a deal really.

I HAD seriously considered having Steve make me some scales for several more of my knifes,...UNTIL I found this thread. Somehow I wanted to know how backed up he might be, and if his work was still up to snuff so I did a few Google searches only to find what a mess he created!

"Karma" at work for me,...maybe? ......and then "it" hit me to "Pay it Forward"!

I figure you guys SAVED me LOTS of money and frustration by getting this information out there, so I kinda feel I owe some of those who were hurt by this guy a small token of my appreciation.

If it's alright with the mods I would like to send each of the poster's in this thread up to now who have taken a loss by Steve to contact me, and I will send you a No Cost sample of my Ti Rod Tactical Titanium 6-1/8" x .50" diameter (most popular),... OR 6-1/2" x .50" diameter Aerospace Grade 5 Titanium self defense Yawara Stick with "Fist-Lock™" Grip and DNA Collector Tips. (This is my Patent Pending "Flagship" $33 or $34 model on the Ti Rod Tactical Website). I'll pick up the USPS First Class shipping too.

I'm not sure how many have been harmed and have posted in this thread up to now, but I'll get them made up and shipped within a few days after the 16th of October at the latest. (Edited to add: I just checked and I have several 6-1/8" sticks already made up in inventory, and just a few in 6-1/2" lengths. These will ship immediately once I hear from the members).

I filed for an extension on my 2016 Income Taxes, and am just finishing that up over the next few days, and my son gets married on Saturday so will be away that day. :)

To make this as easy on me as possible, "if" you have posted in this thread having been harmed and would like one, click on the Indian Nickle over my username and go to my Profile Page to get my contact email. (or do a Google search under "Ti Rod Tactical", and look at my contact info link)

I will start a file on this group and get them out the door very soon.

It sure won't make you "whole",...but will put a smile on your face regardless I think. :)

Stay Safe,
Joe T
Ti Rod Tactical

Last edited:
Well,...I must say what a waste of one time real talent! Several months ago I bought a used Spyderco Gayle Bradley (the original version GB1 with the solid liners), and it came with both the unmounted original scales, ....along with a pair of Steve's black G10 scales mounted on the knife. A perfect fit too, and all for just $90 to boot! Hell of a deal really.

I HAD seriously considered having Steve make me some scales for several more of my knifes,...UNTIL I found this thread. Somehow I wanted to know how backed up he might be, and if his work was still up to snuff so I did a few Google searches only to find what a mess he created!

"Karma" at work for me,...maybe? ......and then "it" hit me to "Pay it Forward"!

I figure you guys SAVED me LOTS of money and frustration by getting this information out there, so I kinda feel I owe some of those who were hurt by this guy a small token of my appreciation.

If it's alright with the mods I would like to send each of the poster's in this thread up to now who have taken a loss by Steve to contact me, and I will send you a No Cost sample of my Ti Rod Tactical Titanium 6-1/8" x .50" diameter OR 6-1/2" x .50" diameter Aerospace Grade 5 Titanium self defense Yawara Stick with "Fist-Lock™" Grip. (my Patent Pending "Flagship" $33 or $34 model on the Ti Rod Tactical Website). I'll pick up the USPS First Class shipping too.

I'm not sure how many have been harmed and have posted in this thread up to now, but I'll get them made up and shipped within a few days after the 16th of October. I filed for an extension on my 2016 Income Taxes, and am just finishing that up over the next few days, and my son gets married on Saturday so will be away that day. :)

To make this as easy on me as possible, "if" you have posted in this thread having been harmed and would like one, click on the Indian Nickle over my username and go to my Profile Page to get my contact email. (or do a Google search under "Ti Rod Tactical", and look at my contact info link)

It sure won't make you "whole",...but will put a smile on your face regardless I think. :)

Stay Safe,
Joe T
Ti Rod Tactical
Joe thank you for a most generous offer... I did take you up on it.

I will say that the one thing I have taken away from this debacle is the fine people I have met on blade forum. The positives have far outweighed my negative feelings toward Steve a Ketchen. I hope he likes the bed he made for himself.

Again thank you for An offer that, well words escape me at the moment.

joejeweler joejeweler
I 110% agree with Ernest. It REALLY chokes me up to think about the goodwill and support that has been displayed by many members.

Most of all it REMINDS ME that there are 1000's of good folk for every 1 bum who decides to check out of society for whatever reason. I say it REMINDS ME, because I KNOW FULL WELL the good will always outshine the bad, but I often need a wake up call every now and then when I get down on society and feel blue. Thanks for shaking me out of the doldrums AGAIN Joe! Emailed you about something EXCITING, thanks brother!

Oh and BTW, that was the DEAL OF THE CENTURY on that GB1...they are one SERIOUS usin' knife! And the custom set of sketchen handles were more than 90, I'm sure. When he was good, Steve was the BEST...unfortunately he's gotten real good at being BAD. :(

Last edited:
Joe thank you for a most generous offer... I did take you up on it.

I will say that the one thing I have taken away from this debacle is the fine people I have met on blade forum. The positives have far outweighed my negative feelings toward Steve a Ketchen. I hope he likes the bed he made for himself.

Again thank you for An offer that, well words escape me at the moment.

Never underestimate the people of BF. There are some jerks, but the good people more than outweigh that. A few years back someone took my money and didn't ship a CRK to me while I was deployed. One of BF's finest offered to have a brand new knife shipped directly to me from CRK. I didn't let him, but was blown away by the offer. What joejeweler is doing here is a perfect example of what this community can be like.

A big thank you to jeojewler... I emailed him via his site and he has already replied and stated I would receive on of his sticks.. really generous of him.

Got my wife to help me bundle all my info to email to the Detective. Also had a statement from my credit union that had a picture of the check along with Ketchens signature on the endorsement line. Also had saved pertinent emails with Steve acknowledging receipt of knife and check. All sent along with a picture and price of the knife.

We just might have the rat cornered guys.

You know,...I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread yet or not,...BUT receiving merchandise or checks through the US Mail will make any resulting scam or fraud a "Federal" crime,...with much stiffer penalties. Those of you with a Postal Receipt for knives sent would be easiest to prove the US Mail was involved, elevating it to the Federal fraud level. Not sure how you could prove you used the US Mail to send a check though, although logically that's the most cost effective way to send funds via snail mail.

If anything, the added pressure of a potential Federal prosecution might just get you some of your stuff back.

Oh,...and don't worry, the sticks are yours to keep regardless,.... for the "aggravation" factor! :)

cheers, Joe T

PS,..Ernest,.....your 6-1/8" x .50" Titanium Yawara stick is all packed and will ship tomorrow. I'll send the Tracking number once I have it.

You know,...I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread yet or not,...BUT receiving merchandise or checks through the US Mail will make any resulting scam or fraud a "Federal" crime,...with much stiffer penalties. Those of you with a Postal Receipt for knives sent would be easiest to prove the US Mail was involved, elevating it to the Federal fraud level. Not sure how you could prove you used the US Mail to send a check though, although logically that's the most cost effective way to send funds via snail mail.

If anything, the added pressure of a potential Federal prosecution might just get you some of your stuff back.

Oh,...and don't worry, the sticks are yours to keep regardless,.... for the "aggravation" factor! :)

cheers, Joe T

PS,..Ernest,.....your 6-1/8" x .50" Titanium Yawara stick is all packed and will ship tomorrow. I'll send the Tracking number once I have it.
Joejewler
Your one heck of a guy.. I will certainly pay foreward when the occasion presents itself. As I have said before this has been one exceptional welcoming to blade forum... but after getting to know you guys I refuse to let one miserable sob tarnish my attitude to the folks that frequent this forum nor will I let it stop me from conducting bussiness with others here. I still believe that there is a sad story in this mess... this whole,ordeal seems so out of character from what I have read on the sketchenscales forum.. MaKeys no sense to me.

Well,..I shipped a 6-1/8" x .50" Titanium Yawara Stick out today for both BladeForum members that contacted me yesterday (Ernest Wohleb and cf1969 ),.... which are the only ones I've heard back from so far. Tracking info has been sent to their email.......

Also,...I'll repeat my offer in all updates of shipment, in case other members who took a financial hit with Steve missed the original post in this long thread.

cheers,
Joe T

If it's alright with the mods I would like to send each of the poster's in this thread up to now who have taken a loss by Steve to contact me, and I will send you a No Cost sample of my Ti Rod Tactical Titanium 6-1/8" x .50" diameter (most popular),... OR 6-1/2" x .50" diameter Aerospace Grade 5 Titanium self defense Yawara Stick with "Fist-Lock™" Grip and DNA Collector Tips. (This is my Patent Pending "Flagship" $33 or $34 model on the Ti Rod Tactical Website). I'll pick up the USPS First Class shipping too.

I'm not sure how many have been harmed and have posted in this thread up to now, but I'll get them made up and shipped within a few days after the 16th of October at the latest. (Edited to add: I just checked and I have several 6-1/8" sticks already made up in inventory, and just a few in 6-1/2" lengths. These will ship immediately once I hear from the members).

I filed for an extension on my 2016 Income Taxes, and am just finishing that up over the next few days, and my son gets married on Saturday so will be away that day. :)

Stay Safe,
Joe T
Ti Rod Tactical

Last edited:
Well,..I shipped a 6-1/8" x .50" Titanium Yawara Stick out today for both BladeForum members that contacted me yesterday (Ernest Wohleb and cf1969 ),.... which are the only ones I've heard back from so far. I'll repeat my offer in all updates of shipment, in case other members affected missed the original post.
Thanks Joe
Just got the tracking info.. most appreciated. Now if the Detective handling this case would call it would cap a most perfect day.
cheers,
Joe T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back