• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Survive! Deserves A Permanent Post In The Hall Of Shame

I watched Guy's video with the results from his "investigation." I am not an engineer, but I did not see much proof of anything. Is there a person with actual metallurgy or materials engineering experience that can provide some perspective on what Guy is showing?

Also, Guy claims in the comments that "we have four separate labs involved in this investigation." Based on all the exaggerations, BS and lies Guy has spewed over the years, I have to question this. What 4 "labs" are working on this? Are they actual professional labs, or just a dude with a $39.99 microscope he got on Amazon that is hooked up to his iPhone? If there is a professional lab doing real testing of some sort, I expect to see a lot more than pics accompanied by Guy's commentary.

Are they actual professional labs, or just a dude with a $39.99 microscope he got on Amazon that is hooked up to his iPhone?
In the video he posted today the photo he shows of the "ledge" is annotated. If that annotation is legit it was made with a scanning electron microscope, which is a professional tool.

I don't know if that particular model is commonly used in metallurgical labs but it is a bit beyond what most amateurs are going to have on hand.

In the video he posted today the photo he shows of the "ledge" is annotated. If that annotation is legit it was made with a scanning electron microscope, which is a professional tool.

I don't know if that particular model is commonly used in metallurgical labs but it is a bit beyond what most amateurs are going to have on hand.
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I am a layman when it comes to metallurgy, but am distrustful of Guy based on his history.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I am a layman when it comes to metallurgy, but am distrustful of Guy based on his history.
I am a layman as well but a familiar with some equipment used in analytical labs, though not metallurgical.

Guy hasn't earned the right for anyone to trust anything he says so your position is the right one. That is why I wrote "if that annotation is legit"....

My thoughts watching the 3/20 video: As I see it, there may be 2 separate issues being conflated. The indication that he shows at the start of the video [22 sec] that he calls a delamination is on the bevel following the bevel grinds covered by black marker. This does not look to be the same as the images he shows [47 sec] on the surface of the blades which are perpendicular to the first indication. So just from the video, it looks like two indications, two different orientations, at two different "depths" within the sheet.

Here is where we may be seeing a magician's sleight of hand...

In the SEM photos, he says "thicker and deeper" but the scale is 40 microns or 0.0015". Jump to 7:14 and he is showing a "foily situatation" which fits something like 1 thousandth deep. We already know he decarbed the blades and we also know from his videos that he leaves less than 0.005" TOTAL for surface removal. With less than 0.0025" per side of removal, what he is seeing on the handle portions should almost be expected coming from raw material sheet stock. BUT this doesn't explain the indication on the bevel which is a different orientation and depth. By conflating the two defects, he makes it seem to me like the lack of decarbed surface removal is the same as the indications following a bevel grind.

He tries to answer the question [4:38] of why others aren't seeing it by saying his finishing methods are unique. This seems to contradict previous statements that Survive! doesn't do anything different... I'm not a genius, but it seems like following manufacturer's recommendations and removing a couple more thousandths per side would clear up almost all of this...

My thoughts watching the 3/20 video: As I see it, there may be 2 separate issues being conflated. The indication that he shows at the start of the video [22 sec] that he calls a delamination is on the bevel following the bevel grinds covered by black marker. This does not look to be the same as the images he shows [47 sec] on the surface of the blades which are perpendicular to the first indication. So just from the video, it looks like two indications, two different orientations, at two different "depths" within the sheet.

Here is where we may be seeing a magician's sleight of hand...

In the SEM photos, he says "thicker and deeper" but the scale is 40 microns or 0.0015". Jump to 7:14 and he is showing a "foily situatation" which fits something like 1 thousandth deep. We already know he decarbed the blades and we also know from his videos that he leaves less than 0.005" TOTAL for surface removal. With less than 0.0025" per side of removal, what he is seeing on the handle portions should almost be expected coming from raw material sheet stock. BUT this doesn't explain the indication on the bevel which is a different orientation and depth. By conflating the two defects, he makes it seem to me like the lack of decarbed surface removal is the same as the indications following a bevel grind.

He tries to answer the question [4:38] of why others aren't seeing it by saying his finishing methods are unique. This seems to contradict previous statements that Survive! doesn't do anything different... I'm not a genius, but it seems like following manufacturer's recommendations and removing a couple more thousandths per side would clear up almost all of this...
Great post. Thanks for explaining this.

Heavysettactical is HEAVILY editing the comments on his video. There was a 13 post convo from a customer that wanted a refund. Guy actually responded with a word salad. Customer responded claiming Guy had blocked him on YouTube and FB. Guy responded with denial and more word salad. Multiple other customers complained about lack of refunds and communication... and then Heavysettactical deleted entire convo.
Glad you noticed, that was me that guy blocked. Heavyset tactical also blocked me and deleted my conversation I had with survive knives. I emailed survive knives twice now canceling my order and asking for a refund.the first time about three weeks ago and then again on last Sunday. I Also went on to my account on survive knives website and canceled my order and of course I got no answer, my account still saids my order is waiting fulfillment even after I canceled it .its been 26 months as of now waiting for an order that was supposed to take 4 to 6 months. Looks like it's time for some legal action

Glad you noticed, that was me that guy blocked. Heavyset tactical also blocked me and deleted my conversation I had with survive knives. I emailed survive knives twice now canceling my order and asking for a refund.the first time about three weeks ago and then again on last Sunday. I Also went on to my account on survive knives website and canceled my order and of course I got no answer, my account still saids my order is waiting fulfillment even after I canceled it .its been 26 months as of now waiting for an order that was supposed to take 4 to 6 months. Looks like it's time for some legal action
Good luck man. There’s some advice about letting the something something attorney general or something state know. Blues Blues is an old LE guy, and he could direct you, I’m sure.

That’s just what S!K does, wipe out the bad, place blame for their missed promises, and upsell new promises.

Your situation is very close to my own. I also noticed your conversation and when it was deleted.

Unfortunately, I have $912 across 3 unfulfilled orders dating back in 2020 and 2021. Originally this was for a GSO12, Vendetta 5, and a TSK.

I have tried to cancel the orders numerous times over the past couple of years with no response whatsoever. So, in an effort to try and get *something* for the money, I managed to get a response out of "Tyler" back on Feb 14 of this year to change my orders for the Vendetta and TSK into a EDC 4 in K890 and issue a refund for the difference. I suggested to keep the GSO12 for now on good faith (yeah right). I was *promised* Ellie would be refunding the difference, and of course that hasn't happened. Even more insulting is that the order for the EDC4 transitioned to "built" after a week, and is stuck there ever since.

I agree that legal action is appropriate here. Has anyone tried to gather members for a class action? From the videos alone, it appears that there are many thousands of dollars in undelivered goods. With enough dollars involved, it should be possible to get some attention on the matter.

Also, does anyone know if a case has been opened with the FTC?

I have not seen any discussion from Survive or others on any NDT testing of the raw materials or the cut blanks. Ultrasonic would likely show laps and voids from the initial rolling of the sheet steel and radiographic testing would disclose the larger, rounded voids (all inspection methods for sub-surface discontinuities). Mag-particle or liquid penetrant would indicate any surface discontinuities.

It seems someone would have gone this route to prove if the flaws Guy is seeing were inherent in the metal before he started his process.

my favorite part is the process where Guy hits the blades with a ball peen hammer for no discernable reason.
When I start a terrible company, I'm going to brush my blades lightly with the armpit hairs of blonde French women between the ages of 22 and 25 who were born in the month of May.

my favorite part is the process where Guy hits the blades with a ball peen hammer for no discernable reason.
When I start a terrible company, I'm going to brush my blades lightly with the armpit hairs of blonde French women between the ages of 22 and 25 who were born in the month of May.
You're going to have to increase the edge bevel to 25 degrees in that case.

lol.......... 😂

You gonna charge more or less for that?

You all sure give this guy a lot of free press. Top of the page with a red banner. Nobody can miss seeing his and his company's name. All day, everyday. Just saying.

You all sure give this guy a lot of free press. Top of the page with a red banner. Nobody can miss seeing his and his company's name. All day, everyday. Just saying.
You've seen through the subterfuge.

We have obtained evidence from unnamed but reliable informants that the members posting in this thread have actually received multiple knives from Survive! which they were provided as compensation for keeping the thread going.

Thank you. Thank you for finally getting the truth out there.

Wait… what if Blues Blues is really Guy and this whole thing is just an elaborate marketing scheme? The man who sold the world (knife).

Not implying any subterfuge. Just pointing out that thousands (I'm assuming) of people are seeing the Survive! name/brand at the very top of the Knife Exchange page every single day. Whether or not they are reading the thread, they are seeing their name. Perhaps that free press is not in line with what they deserve. That's all I'm saying.

Back