The “Can’t leave anything alone” Thread

Some handles, like the plain black plastic on the Griptilion are crying out for new scales, but I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would want to change the scales on the Benchmade Crooked River. Modding some of my folders is definitely something I've given some thought to.

The only knives I've done mods for are smooth handled machetes that are made a bit more usable by wrapping them with the cloth from a field dressing and then covering that with hockey or gun tape for a more secure grip. Of course now, people are getting micarta scales for their Kabar BK-2 so it's a very different world.

I've got a machete with a rubber grip.
It sticks to the hand even better than a bad nickname...
But Hockey tape would work just as well!

Made some new stabilized box elder scales for my Le Thiers this past weekend. So much nicer than the smelly juniper scales (sorry Gary).
A58AA207-7979-43A3-ACA5-FDA73AE213FA.jpegDE181D55-99A6-41DC-88C4-4E9C58C4A65F.jpeg
Some good looking knives in this thread…glad you all have kept this thread rockin. 😎🥳
Engraving by my ever so talented friend WValtakis WValtakis Thanks for running with my ideas Chip!

Died assault..err...I mean...Dyed a Salt

Just foolin' around with some Rit Dye today. I lost my Zome green H1 SE Dragonfly swap in the woods and decided to keep the replacement brighter. Yea, I know the stock yellow was even brighter than my results, but you guys know, "Can't leave anything alone". I had already dyed a yellow Pacific Salt lime green years ago using the "kelly green" Rit powder and liked the results, but I saw some of the fade jobs people are doing with the yellow and wanted to take it a bit further. Still, I knew I liked the lime green results, so I started with that as a base. Then I used the liquid "aquamarine" for the fade. It didn't come out exactly as I expected but overall I'm happy with the results. I finished it off by flaming the hardware, and tried to take it a little past the normal bronze I do to get some purples. I've got some lime green paracord incoming, but for now I used this scrap I had.

zIhaCLl.jpg

aVD8ZpL.jpg

Made some new stabilized box elder scales for my Le Thiers this past weekend. So much nicer than the smelly juniper scales (sorry Gary).
View attachment 1608050View attachment 1608051
Some good looking knives in this thread…glad you all have kept this thread rockin. 😎🥳
Engraving by my ever so talented friend WValtakis WValtakis Thanks for running with my ideas Chip!
I can understand your issue with smell of the juniper. Personally, I cannot stand the smell of copper, and it drives me crazy that so many things are copper this and copper that. Like ok, I'd like that knife with the upgraded steel but not the copper scales.

Been puttering around with this Navaja I picked up...got an idea and ran with it🤷‍♂️

Screenshot_20210805-073455_Photos.jpg

IMG_20210805_073527_479~2.jpg

Screenshot_20210805-074154_Photos~2.jpg

20210805_073725~2.jpg

Still working on aging it to match the rest of the knife, then I'll pin it on😊
That is cool, Chip!! Love it! Can’t wait to see what you come up with for the finish.

Got the pommel pinned on, and some WICKED patina started🥰

Screenshot_20210806-100936_Photos~2.jpg
nice work, the pivot pin seems disproportionate to the overall size of the blade?? as the pin for the butt cap has a larger end to it.
G2

Back