The “Can’t leave anything alone” Thread

Ok. So I'm a huge fan of my "customized" ZT 0470, but the carbon fiber insert is not my favorite. I will not post a link, but I am thinking about ordering either the silver twill or dark matter blue carbon fiber insert for it from sharp dressed knives. My question is, what is y'all's opinion on whether it would match the blue of the stars and stripes, or would leaving the black in place be a better idea.

Thanks.

Zhtcf8r.jpg
Dark Matter, mine is just a plain Jane but I'm thinking I might add the black CF, I like CF but I'm not into the marbled CF look. Have a MXG deep carry clip ordered.

So I had this Mini-Bugout, and it was just crying out for a makeover...
A set of Rogue Bladeworks Carbon Fiber scales found their way onto it...
They feel REALLY light, and a whole bunch... sexier!

Attachments

• Mini-B.jpg
    Mini-B.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210817_154847.jpg
    20210817_154847.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
So after spending the evening "flickety-flicking" the knife: A couple of opinions have come to mind.
1. I really like the feel of the new scales. The Grivory did the job; but it left me wanting more...
2. The knife is lighter than it was. I'll have to break out my scales to confirm it though.
3. I prefer the more finished feel of Benchmade's carbon fiber grips. They have a more rounded cross section to them.
But all-in-all: a major improvement!

Things got a little hectic on this end so I unplugged for awhile... Looks like I have a whole bunch of catching up to do. You guys have been busy! It's been pretty quiet on this end (mod-wise) lately.

I swapped a CPM-154 blade, some black screws, and a black pocket clip on my wife's purple Kershaw Leek the other day. The leftover parts made for one really UGLY frankenLeek so I gave it away at work, lol.

8hRTlaE.jpg

6fPfyYB.jpg

My wife's Spyderco McBee is also finished. I'm not super jazzed with how the Damacore blade turned out, but it was just an extra piece from the length I'm using for the Sebenza, so no big deal. This ended up being a bit more of a project than I expected, lol. The wife likes it though, so it is what it is.

Damacore Hugin blade
"Easter Bunny Flomascus" anodized scales
Aqua anodized, McNee Honeycomb clip
Purple anodized screws
Purple anodized standoffs

w3TRBo1.jpg

egomRaY.jpg

86nROo3.jpg

OLFDQnd.jpg
Did you do the etchwork yourself? If yes, do you have a guide to how you got it so ultra clean looking?

Amazing work.

So a while back, my anthem has this issue where the pivot barrel was way undersized of 0.004 from the blade’s bore. My attempt to fix that was by « shimming » it with a feeler gauge wrapped around. But, obviously, that method would be only temporarily and cannot be sold afterwards. So this time, my attempt will be to hard chrome plating, a permanent method.

So here’s the pivot before plating:

71767-D35-755-E-45-EA-8-FAC-73530-C635-F92.jpg

Here’s the blade’s bore:

353-F10-E1-4724-48-B9-8-EFA-EECC89766-B76.jpg

Now, this is the pivot after plating (cannot shown processus as it’s industrial secret):

D349-CD0-E-600-F-48-BE-A211-AEBFA0-EA1600.jpg

C7-BED87-D-5443-4-F6-D-9-B38-29-D49-C01-A7-B8.jpg

The part is now oversized by around 0.007":

C67773-FD-2-B1-E-4183-B615-A8-D1-E8-C2-E222.jpg

Now, hard chrome plating is very hard, reaching around 70 rockwell C for 0.001 thickness minimum. Therefore, in cannot be machined but only doable by cylindrical grinding. So let’s get to business!

I started it by dialed it in under 0.0005 runout

B5-AEC0-B7-6-A0-F-44-CA-B9-A2-7-E8-C4-CB21-FC0.gif

Once that done, let’s grind!

25191-AC3-7-F20-45-AF-BF9-A-E2-BFCAC2-CFC4.gif

So, the size, im looking for is 0.2505 +/-0.0002 which is -0.0005 under the bore diameter for a slide fit, shouldn’t be that hard to reach.

611-D119-F-E66-D-4-D66-8-CB6-8-C3-C4042109-A.jpg

Overall, after all that, there’s still a tiny bit of something but that’s only if you’re looking for it. Im happy with the results, way better than what i got from the factory and with some tighter tolerances from the pb washers to the pivot itself

FE73-B4-C0-1-A00-423-E-8-C3-D-3-D4-F66105925.jpg

Been dicking around with my APurvis Progeny. An odd knife. On bearings, but the detent ball rubs/scrapes heavily on the blade. I tried slightly relieving lockbar pressure. However, that results in early lock up. It's fine if you flip or flick it open, but two hand open it does not lock at all. I think the detent ball must be too large or not recessed enough.

I also removed the backspacer. I don't like backspacers unless they add to the knife, like grip etc.

Still dicking with the lockbar.

Did you do the etchwork yourself? If yes, do you have a guide to how you got it so ultra clean looking?

Amazing work.

Do ya mean the anodized titanium on the scales? They were done by BladesWeLove. I'm fairly certain Steve uses a stencil for the anodizing, but I'm unsure of the process. I imagine it's probably a bit proprietary though.

Back