The “Can’t leave anything alone” Thread

Made a few acquisitions (new blades and all new hardware):

Generic changes are:

*carbon clips (these are so much better than the originals and are low profile, no more hot spots)
*models of scales are Raptors (excellent ergonomics and lightweight)
*bearings polished to 200k grit diamond paste and lubed with KPL
*and I replaced detent balls with a SI3N4 upgrade from BOCA bearings (polish, lube and new detent makes a nice difference).

1. Rex 45 PM2 with copper dark matter scales; doesn't pop as much as it does in reality, presume this is due to lighting:

PXL_20211016_052926832.MP

PXL_20211016_052948171.MP

2. Maxamet PM2 with red dark matter scales; Iove this one, I think it's how the blade has developed a patina but the edge is ultra clean and shiny - great contrast!

PXL_20211016_052706116.PORTRAIT

PXL_20211016_020925427.PORTRAIT

PXL_20211016_052732092.PORTRAIT

PXL_20211016_052846346.PORTRAIT

3. S90V PM2 with gold dark matter scales:

PXL_20211016_052437070.PORTRAIT

PXL_20211016_052532038.PORTRAIT

4. K390 Para 3 with shadow storm scales; I'm loving this steel, takes a killer edge so easily:

PXL_20211016_053043235.MP

PXL_20211016_053059747.MP

5. Group shot:

PXL_20211016_053449582.MP

Last edited:
Still messing around with the Shaman scales.
Removed the last ano color and tumbled for about an hour.

Shaman.2  10.16.21.jpg Shaman  10.16.21.jpg

I also used some Presto Black to mute the shine on the hardware to give a more uniform look, which looks better but still some room for improvement.

Also applied some to the exposed part of the liners which give an overall even tone in hand, looks pretty good.

Shaman.3  10.16.21.jpg Shaman.4  10.16.21.jpg

It's slowly coming together, working more with ano colors to determine what I'll eventually go with.

Possible texture / pattern added to the handle, light acid wash / tumble and maybe an alteration to the blade in some form.. still debating on that.

Shaman.5  10.16.21.jpg

Last edited:
mini Stryker with aogami blue steel blade from a grafting/ marking kiridashi. got the idea from STR backyard knife works. it's pretty rough the steel is HARD actually had to put a bearing on one side and a PB washer on the other side of the blade just to get any type of centering, but it works as a beater shop knifeIMG_20200513_212335_compress60.jpg
IMG_20200513_212322_compress29.jpg

I really, really love my Quiet Carry Drift 2. Vanax blade, LCN200 lockbar insert, ceramic detent, titanium scales and hardware... I mean, what's not to love? Well, for one, it's bland as hell. Silver on silver on silver. Bleh. It was boring the hell out of me.

So now it's blue. Problem solved. :)

ZRqdx0j.jpg

60CiGoD.jpg

I also went for a blue anodize on my Tactile Turn Bolt Action Short... But I'm not super jazzed about how it turned out. The barrel is a bit darker than the endcap and tip, and it's a bit splotchy. I was also hoping for more of the lighter blue you get from the 26v - 28v range, but whatever. I like it more than the original silver, and hand oils are going to discolor it when I use it anyways.

Have any ideas WValtakis WValtakis ? I was kind of thinking of maybe sending it to you for some sort of entropic type finish. Also... The bolt is Timascus, but the layers are pretty tight and don't have much contrast. Do ya think reanodizing could help?

vU340OQ.jpg

Last edited:
I really, really love my Quiet Carry Drift 2. Vanax blade, LCN200 lockbar insert, ceramic detent, titanium scales and hardware... I mean, what's not to love? Well, for one, it's bland as hell. Silver on silver on silver. Bleh. It was boring the hell out of me.

So now it's blue. Problem solved. :)

ZRqdx0j.jpg

60CiGoD.jpg

I also went for a blue anodize on my Tactile Turn Bolt Action Short... But I'm not super jazzed about how it turned out. The barrel is a bit darker than the endcap and tip, and it's a bit splotchy. I was also hoping for more of the lighter blue you get from the 26v - 28v range, but whatever. I like it more than the original silver, and hand oils are going to discolor it when I use it anyways.

Have any ideas WValtakis WValtakis ? I was kind of thinking of maybe sending it to you for some sort of entropic type finish. Also... The bolt is Timascus, but the layers are pretty tight and don't have much contrast. Do ya think reanodizing could help?

vU340OQ.jpg
What are you using for a power supply? I often have to tweak the voltage a bit between different items to get the color to match...surface finish also plays a part but it looks like they're relatively similar machined finishes.

What are you using for a power supply? I often have to tweak the voltage a bit between different items to get the color to match...surface finish also plays a part but it looks like they're relatively similar machined finishes.

It a SMT Micro Anodizer (0 - 120v, 0-1amp, solid state). You can't really tell in the picture, but the entire barrel is pretty splotchy. This is after it has been cleaned (heated ultrasonic cleaner), etched, and anodized twice professionally... And then stripped, cleaned, etched, and anodized with my buddies SMT Micro. The tip and cap not matching the barrel is no biggie, I'm sure with some tweaking, that could be fixed. The part that was annoying me was the splotchy barrel. After a day of use, you can't even really tell since it's all discolored from hand oil anyways though... And it kind of doesn't matter anymore because I (like a genius) dropped it on the asphalt getting out of my truck. :D

My SHF 3.25" is back from Spartan Blades. :D

I actually just wanted the compass engraving and hardware blue, and the rest of the knife titanium gray... But I didn't make that very clear in my email. The end result is the whole knife is blue, lol. The miscommunication was completely my fault. I still really like how it turned out though, and I think I'm going to leave it as is (the scales at least).

Now on to phase two. ;)

Before:
nTiqGFM.jpg

ewaglWZ.jpg

After:
38ZUgd7.jpg

0C4odAw.jpg

Last edited:

I actually just wanted the compass engraving and hardware blue, and the rest of the knife titanium gray... But I didn't make that very clear in my email. The end result is the whole knife is blue, lol. The miscommunication was completely my fault. I still really like how it turned out though, and I think I'm going to leave it as is (the scales at least).

Now on to phase two. ;)

Before:
nTiqGFM.jpg

ewaglWZ.jpg

After:
38ZUgd7.jpg

0C4odAw.jpg
Shoot, I actually kind of like it! That compass stands out! They really do some awesome artwork on these knives.

I'm pleased with how it turned out. :)

The engraving is pretty deep, so I had given some thought to giving the titanium a hand rubbed finish. That should leave the engraved stuff blue, while leaving everything else a nice titanium gray. After thinking about it, I'm just going to leave it I think. Considering it's not what I was going for, I think it looks damn good.

Now on to phase two. ;)

Before:
nTiqGFM.jpg

ewaglWZ.jpg

After:
38ZUgd7.jpg

0C4odAw.jpg
Honestly Fixall Fixall the double blue is really rad. I like it a lot. Spartan did an amazing job.

Honestly Fixall Fixall the double blue is really rad. I like it a lot. Spartan did an amazing job.

They really did! The price for the service was mind-boggling cheap too. Spartan actually just got back to me and said it would be no problem to sand the anodizing off the scales, leaving the engravings and hardware blue. I'm not sure if I want to do that anymore though, lol. I think the double blue will look pretty sweet with Bjorkman's Twist... I'll have to think on it. What do you think?

They really did! The price for the service was mind-boggling cheap too. Spartan actually just got back to me and said it would be no problem to sand the anodizing off the scales, leaving the engravings and hardware blue. I'm not sure if I want to do that anymore though, lol. I think the double blue will look pretty sweet with Bjorkman's Twist... I'll have to think on it. What do you think?
I really like the blue on blue. It’s not something you see often. With the Bjorkman’s Twist…I think it will look killer.

If after the BT blade you don’t like the look, you could always get the flats polished then.

I’d stick with the blue on blue for now if it was mine. A happy accident. Too many plain ti colored scales out there these days.

I really like the blue on blue. It’s not something you see often. With the Bjorkman’s Twist…I think it will look killer.

If after the BT blade you don’t like the look, you could always get the flats polished then.

I’d stick with the blue on blue for now if it was mine. A happy accident. Too many plain ti colored scales out there these days.

You know, I think I'm going to do just that. I didn't even think about keeping the offer from Spartan on the back burner until after the blade is done. The blue on blue has been growing on me more and more, so I'm pretty sure I'm just going to keep it like that anyways.

I might give some thought to having the hardware stripped, or anodized a darker blue, or maybe even DLC coated though.

Also... It sure seems like laser engravers have come a long ways! The engraving is so deep and crisp!

87thzIu.jpg

Back