The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

Technically those Bears Club edition Neons are Ultra-Lites. S30V blades, no internal milling, stand-off instead of backspacer.

That's a tough call to make. I'd use it though. If I'm not mistaken, the original idea behind the Ultra-Lite Neon was to make a more affordable Neon for every day use. Heck, there are guys that beat the crap out of the Custom Division Shirogorovs. I suppose it depends on your personal views of value, but I don't see the point in keeping safe queens (for the majority of pocket knives).

-----------------

MaxFactor: It's not the cost. I carry & use other Shiros, Thorburns and other amazing folders that are more expensive than this one. There's something about the fact that there are only 30 of these. And somewhat rare little things are only truly pristine up until you get that first scratch or ding. It might be just guilt but I kind of feel like I owe it to the universe to protect this one of thirty, this little gem. Then again, I could be totally wrong on that. :)

Shirogorov Neon Light M390 and S90V are so nice, but don't forget about limited Vegas project with Mini Cannabis, Sinkevich design. The dimensions are close to Neon.
It's most wanted and rare knife (54 were made as cards with different logo on spacer).

Technically those Bears Club edition Neons are Ultra-Lites.

So help me out here....

Are there Neons, Neon Lites, and Neon Ultra-Lites? :confused: And what are the differences amongst whatever various models there may be?

I just recently got my hands on a Neon Lite Bears Edition, 30 made. I'm really torn. I'd love to carry & use it but it's #4 of just 30 made, so feel like I must keep it pristine. But I will say this about it...it's a damn slick little machine. You can really feel, hear & see sheer quality. I think it can be easy to "say" oh just carry it & use it, that's why we have knives. But it's like holding a perfect little diamond...and there's only 30 of those particular diamonds that will ever be made. What to do????? Any and all opinions (and rationalizations) are welcomed.

I'd say just go with your gut, Scrim.

My first large Sebenza was a 2009 pre-Idaho 21 Bocote, bought on the Exchange from the original owner. It had been in his safe since he bought it and was in pristine condition. It's not a special edition or anything, but was just so pretty-perfect that I couldn't bear to put it in my pocket. The knife was someone else's safe-queen and became mine. I soon bought another large (KA CF 21) which is my main work EDC and it looks like it's been attacked by giant snails from Mars at this point. I also have a large 25 Plain Jane which gets used, and the p-I Bocote stays in the drawer and just gets admired and lovingly handled from time-to-time.

My guess is that you already have that feeling in the pit of your stomach when you think of the first ding or scratch that you'd get on that knife. If it was mine and I felt that way, I'd get another Neon and use the crap out of it and put the SE next to my other safe-queen.

Highly doubtful. :)....although I have an F3 with a mirror edge on it (got it that way) and it looks & cuts great...so who knows.

I'm not so sure about what I'll do when it's time to sharpen my Shiros. My preferred edge is a 15-per-side secondary bevel with a 20-p-s micro. Not sure if I want to change the look of the edge. What has anyone else done with theirs?

"My guess is that you already have that feeling in the pit of your stomach when you think of the first ding or scratch that you'd get on that knife. If it was mine and I felt that way, I'd get another Neon and use the crap out of it and put the SE next to my other safe-queen."

ChazzyP, thats probably the best solution, for me, with this particular Shiro.:thumbup:

So help me out here....

Are there Neons, Neon Lites, and Neon Ultra-Lites? :confused: And what are the differences amongst whatever various models there may be?

--------------

Here's what I was able to find...on another "green" knife site...

(Thanks to Vlad) https://youtu.be/pJKx9mKLl_4

Regular, production NeOn Lite has M390 or S90V steel, backspacer. Lanyard attached to backspacer.

Ultra lite version comes with S30V steel and standoff instead of backspacer.
Lanyard attached to one side of the handle

Last edited:
Hi guys! You can buy 2 same Shiro - one for using and second for keeping. When you need to renew you can send it to SPA and use another one. In a some time you get the knife from SPA for keeping and so long.. :cool:

MaxFactor: It's not the cost. I carry & use other Shiros, Thorburns and other amazing folders that are more expensive than this one. There's something about the fact that there are only 30 of these. And somewhat rare little things are only truly pristine up until you get that first scratch or ding. It might be just guilt but I kind of feel like I owe it to the universe to protect this one of thirty, this little gem. Then again, I could be totally wrong on that. :)

Well, in that case I'd keep it pristine. Especially if you have other Shirogorovs. If anything you should get another Neon to carry and use.

I'll be putting an edge on my Neon (can I just say Neon or do I need to say Neon lite?) if it doesn't whittle hair out of the box. I don't expect any knife to have the type of sharpness I want in a user. It will also give me a change to put stones on a m390 for the first time.

I'll be putting an edge on my Neon (can I just say Neon or do I need to say Neon lite?) if it doesn't whittle hair out of the box. I don't expect any knife to have the type of sharpness I want in a user. It will also give a change to put stones on a m390 for the first time.

All three of my M390 Shiros came insanely sharp. The sharpest out-of-the-box knives I've ever seen.

Nothing new here, but I was hanging out tonight and realized I didn't have a picture of all my Shiros together. Here's my three bears sitting on my lap.

2ofNrDF.jpg

I don't think I've seen another Tabargan here. I really like mine--anybody else have one or maybe a new 110?

Last edited:
I've had two tabargans pass through my possession. Really fine blade. Sickest non bearing knife I've ever felt and even better than most bearing knives on the market. Only reason I sold my last one, a chipped carbon fiber s30v, was it was just kind of thick for me.

Great knife,excellent user.

Attachments

• IMG_1540.jpg
    IMG_1540.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 32
Back