The Cinguedea, One of the Most Effective Personal Weapons Of All Time

Except that most actual fans of the show mostly tune in for the big exotic ancient weapons and the very kind of testing that others find so offensive . The show you imagine would be cancelled in no time for lack of interest .

Exactly

The masses aren’t going to tune in for sushi and French knife cut offs

I think the cinqueada is a very ugly blade, it's all stout and broad and bleh.

I haven't watched Forged in Fire for a few months but if I recall the Kill Test is only administered at the end of the show when they make a historical weapon. I think they deliberately separate the kill test from the beginning for that reason, to show that not all blades are weapons. I also would think a kill test is appropriate for a weapon demonstration, and if anything, if you really wanted to stretch to the point of being ridiculous, this paints blacksmiths in a worse light than knives because these guys are the ones forging kill weapons. When in reality most blacksmiths don't even make weapons.

Last edited:
And if you made a Buffalo skinning knife and than showed it in use , a crapstorm would ensue from them that disapproved of hunting or eating meat etc ad nauseam .

I think cutting pig carcasses elicits the same effect but let’s face it they are calling the blades on the show weapons and using them on test mediums that people want to see .....this is why the show is popular

Hell I just ordered the cold steel version

Soon is a relative term ;)

Sure, "it will keeeeeel", but how would this do against Zombies? :D

n2s

Zombies? I don't believe in zombies. Unless, by 'zombies' you simply mean any 2 legged-vermin inhabiting a pre/post-apocalyptic wasteland who wish you dead for whatever reason, whether it's lunch or just to steal your toys. Then, like any other decent weapons system, if you wish to use it to its full potential you'll have to put in time getting good with it. The kind of time that may not be available in a pre/post-apocalyptic wasteland inhabited by 2-legged vermin who wish you dead. For whatever reason. I'll stick with a 12ga pump with ghost ring rear and tritium front sights, for zombies. If they're close enough for a short-sword, I'm already screwed.

Cold Steel always wants to thread their tangs. I hate that! I always worry that it's just a $%#@ screw welded to the tang (rat-tail tang, total crapola). I just don't trust it. I'd much rather them peen the tang. At least then you'd know it went all the way through. The Del Tin and almost all the originals had full tangs. That's the way to go.

I have the Cold Steel cinq. The threaded part is integral to the tang, not welded on. The tang is pretty narrow, but it's not a welded on rat tail. :thumbsup:

edit: It's pretty similar to this Darksword tang. I used to worry about skinny tangs like this, but I have several Windlass swords that have similar tangs that I've used for backyard cutting for years, and I've never had a problem with any of them.

iu

Here's my cinq in hand:

cinq.jpg

Last edited:
I like cinquedeas a lot, and have for many years, but I think there's a lot of starry-eyed speculation in this thread elevating the weapon well above its worth.

I agree. Just because the weapon did great damage on a tv show doesn't mean it was a good real world weapon.

The targets in the show don't move or fight back. I am sure a splitting maul would do massive damage to those same targets and yet it is not the best axe to take into battle.

Do you have a study that shows the mortality rate of those that encounter the cinguedea vs other edged weapons? Yeah, didn't think so. Just a tv show making absurd claims for a knife that is silly looking to get attention.

The buck 110 or the AK-47 bayonet has probably killed more people than the cinguedea, I guess that means they're literally the most formidable edged weapon in existence, even laying eyes upon them makes people gush blood from every orifice in their bodies.

Well the CS Cinqueada came today

I’m rather impressed

I really don’t do cheap swords

Mearning most swords you see me post on are in the thousands range not the hundreds but for some reason when I saw this cold steel piece o was curious

Yes it was a sword design from a period of history in Italy that weapons of this like were designed more as gaudy accessories than actual combat weapons but being of Northern Italian decent and realizing my collection is all high end Japanese I wanted to check it out

I’ll give you first impressions on two accounts

Quality and feel

First I’m no stranger to cold steel and I’ve been buying their prouducts for decades

Love Lynn or hate him he has made a lot of junk and he has also made a lot of interesting good stuff

This piece is the latter meaning they did a good job

Quality is on par with sometching like HI but with a better finish

The blade came sharp with no blemishes or rust and the handle is done well. The edges of everything as in guard etc could be slightly softened meaning nock the edges down but all in all fit in finish is very good for a 130 dollar item

The sheath is typical HI quality which means that it’s cheap but serviceable

Feel

All in All it has decent balance and moves well

It is far from heavy and moves well in the hand

The studded grip bites into the hand Well and would serve its purpose as a tool meant to use for self defense. I would not want to split wood with it but it’s not meant to do that

The blade flexes nicely and the fullers are well done and obviously effect the feel

This is a small short sword or a very big dagger and imho it would make for a devestating weapon that due to its weight and balance would probale out perform a similar sized dagger

Due to its width I feel it would also make for an excellent blocking weapon

It is the cheapest sword in my collection but due to my lineage I’m glad I picked one up

I can put it on display in my office and not worry if someone drops it on the floor :)

I don’t know if I care for the design enough to commission a custom variant but as a conversation piece or part of a Blade collection looking to show case an odd sword it is an interesting piece and a very good value

In the spring I’ll put it through some targets

I was really excited when I first heard that CS was coming out with a cinquedea but unfortunately the rendition they did is kind of at the opposite end of the spectrum from the ones I like best. I would have preferred something more similar in form to these, but with the hilt simplified for obvious reasons:

6193030357_27b6819a9f_b.jpg

I think cutting pig carcasses elicits the same effect but let’s face it they are calling the blades on the show weapons and using them on test mediums that people want to see .....this is why the show is popular
Unsanitised for your benefit. Warning- blood.
[video]

Back