The Club and Improvised weapons thread (Post your Handy work!)

Cicatriz, those are some really bad scary boys you have there. Any pictures of things you have smashed? Can not see the raccoon lining. Is it to protect the Juniper handle from the forces generated when the Oak balls impact something?

Howard

Cicatriz, those are some really bad scary boys you have there. Any pictures of things you have smashed? Can not see the raccoon lining. Is it to protect the Juniper handle from the forces generated when the Oak balls impact something?

Howard

Thanks!

I haven't smashed anything with these in years. Sorry, no pics either.
Pumpkins are more fun to throw with a trebuchet anyway....

The coon hide was strictly for aesthetic purposes because I saw some on a war club in a museum.
It might have helped with impact concussion, I don't know.

The bend handle feels really good in the hand but the other is more intimidating.

How did you get that black finsh?

That was actually a propane torch. After scorching I applied about 3 heavy coats of mineral oil, because the torch really dries the wood out, then I finished with some furniture wax.

Cool. So the blackened parts don’t rub of carbon on your hand or anything? I’m going to try it out on my next club.
How about Irish blackthorns and Shillelagh clubs? Anyone out there have one of these?

The one used in Gangs of New York

Last edited:
Hey Edwood, Fire hardening has been used for centuries to produce wood edged weapons such as spears. Hardened wood was used as a emergency substitute for flint weapons during the Stone Age. Heat crystallizes the natural sugars in it. If you oil it before you heat it doesn't crack as bad. I do most of my 'hawk hafts. And scrape, don't sand afterwards......Randy

I'm postin this here 'cause Edwood7 said you guys would appreciate this here.

I had a piece of schedule 80 1" galvanized pipe with a 1-2 lb, 3" solid stainless steel ball on the top, I had a total knee replacement back in '06 and I needed a cane for gettin' around so I made one.

As a cane it was perfect but it also makes one hell of an impact weapon, it shatters cinder blocks like a cube of sugar, makes short work of doors, windshields and any extraneous limbs.

I'll try to post a better pic.

008-9.jpg

The ball was a SS door knob that I welded to the pipe, it has great balance, swings like a Louisville Slugger, twirls like a baton and handles like a blade heavy Katana.

I'm makin' a leather wrap for it with leather laces, it should look great.

I would hate to be on the receiving end of your bad boy. Better in a down and dirty than a Louisville Slugger too!

Howard

Have had these things for years. 1 1/4" ball bearing on chain, club I made out of a shovel handle, club my dad made out of a pick handle, and 2 aircraft aluminum "clubs":

002-23.png

The "clubs" actually break down into chuks. Ball bearing swivels and all:

006-15.png

Sorry for the crappy pics.

Sneaky ninja clubs; I like 'em!

Here's a pic of my ghetto fab CS warhammer; it smashes stuff pretty well:

IMG_5255.jpg

I went to my dads today to help with some stuff, and snapped a couple pics with my phone.

He found this Shillelagh(?) in an RV he purchased in the 80's. Sorry about the blurriness of the pictures.

2.jpg

Next to an old 8 cell Maglite;)

3.jpg

Here you can see the other side, up close it looks like one of the dogs got ahold of it awhile back

1.jpg

Here's a Spruce burl club with a sharpening steel spike and two more in the rough.

R

6244445526_26fd0d6c70.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
6244439520_918da2b2b5.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Im in love with that thing brother Robin..... Why do they grow like that ?

Hey Bro
Burls are caused by insect damage in many cases, basically a tree disease. I have wild Cherry trees all over our land, most are covered in burls. There is a tree in the valley behind my house that has a burl about 3 feet across. I'll try to remember to take a pic of some of the cherry burls tomorrow. Glad you like the club.
Keep safe
BroR.

Hey Bro
Burls are caused by insect damage in many cases, basically a tree disease. I have wild Cherry trees all over our land, most are covered in burls. There is a tree in the valley behind my house that has a burl about 3 feet across. I'll try to remember to take a pic of some of the cherry burls tomorrow. Glad you like the club.
Keep safe
BroR.

Very beautiful weapon. it is a very sinister beauty……….

Robin, that 3 foot burl would make a beautiful table top to add to your home, especially if its cherry.

Howard

We need a thread that shows the meanest and deadliest combo of weapons each contributor could put together. I can think of many combos from Robin, Randy, Edwood, and other that would definitely qualify.

Howard

Howard sounds good, start an arsenal thread. Shots of the full arms closet. I'd weigh in with my pitiful collection

Back