The "Official" Fiddleback OFF-TOPIC thread!!!!!!!!

Major D I love watching top fuel. I miss when they use to come twice a year and actually ran a 1/4 mile. Don 'the snake' Prudhomme was my driver. I don't get the time now to go much now, its been about two years.

So tonight I fired up the forge and had this awkward piece of 1084 welded to my holder bar (I need some better tongs, but I digress.) So I hammered away and got this pretty good looking blade. Kind of a sharp finger type shape. Then I quenched it and there was a little wave in the tip. So, I pulled out the mini-peen hammer and gave it a tap. OOPS!!! blade tip totally broke off.

So, I took it over to the bench grinder and gave it a little shaping. Now more leaf like. From there I realized that instead of putting the stick tang in the middle of the blade, I put it directly off the spine of the blade. Well, that's not going to work, so I figured I'd try a hook and then build a handle that fit into the hook. So here it is, without the handle.

IMG_1405-X3.jpg

I've got a long ways to go, but I'm starting to be able to think through the hammering and seem to be getting better. However, I need to build forge 2.0 since I put the burner too close to the mouth and I lose a lot of heat.

Hope all of you guys had a great weekend!

This was my afternoon...

those ribs look great _Westy_

Kylie and I spent the weekend at one of her cousins weddings.
IMG_20160521_234849_zps28gef6ul.jpg

When we got home I went straight to the store to cook something up.

blackened red snapper
20160522_210939_001_zpsxwfbepsr.jpg

20160522_211357_zpsyedzyzak.jpg

All of you eat so much better than I do!

I had a jug of chocolate milk for dinner.

No...I'm not feeling bad for myself.

maybe i am doing it wrong

you are much more fit than me

i did make a promise when when i quit wrestling after high school to never subsistence on rice cakes & tuna & mustard

maybe i am doing it wrong

you are much more fit than me

i did make a promise when when i quit wrestling after high school to never subsistence on rice cakes & tuna & mustard

My wife has us on a Whole 30 diet. It's like Paleo but without all the good stuff. Basically no dairy, grains, or refined sugar/syrups/honey. It really shows you how much stuff has added sugar and how much our food supply has been "doctored with." I've come to appreciate a pint of strawberries, a can of seltzer water, or a tin of good sardines over the last 15 days. Not sure if I'm losing weight or not (no scales allowed) but it's been interesting to try to avoid all the added sugar. Might try Salt next, but that may be a bridge too far.

Did you cut the top off with a Fiddleback? One quick snap cut, or more of a push cut?

Major D I love watching top fuel. I miss when they use to come twice a year and actually ran a 1/4 mile. Don 'the snake' Prudhomme was my driver. I don't get the time now to go much now, its been about two years.

This was a divisional race so they don't have any pro racing. My wife and I will go back in 3 weeks for the Summit Nationals. That is the pro race. I try to describe to friends what it's like to witness 2 - 10,000 horsepower Top Fuel cars launching but it's not possible in words.

My buddy qualified 3rd with a 6.07 at 228 MPH. He lost 2nd round. Overall it was still a great weekend at the track.

20160522_111056_zpse1db0nnz.jpg

Less that a week before I leave for Blade and my 3 yr old son gets strep. It is horrible seeing the little guy sick, and I think it cannot get any worse... and then both my wife and I come down with it. :thumbdn::grumpy::thumbdn:

Less that a week before I leave for Blade and my 3 yr old son gets strep. It is horrible seeing the little guy sick, and I think it cannot get any worse... and then both my wife and I come down with it. :thumbdn::grumpy::thumbdn:

Bummer! I hope you all are feeling better soon. We just had a nasty cold go through our family too. It is always way worse seeing your kid being sick than being sick yourself. I just drank a bunch of zero calorie monster, took advil cold and sinus and pretended everything was fine.

We had HMFD run through last october and it was so bad. Wishing you a quick recovery.

Magic mouthwash recipe: 1 part maalox, one part benadryl, one part lidocaine...

Don't swallow it. Works ok for a few minutes! Not appropriate for the three year old.

Question - Bought this leech lake fillet knife 17 yrs ago for my bro. Just saw it over the weekend and it is showing some corrosion spots, but I was able to rub most of one of the spots out w/ finger (it took a while though). Any recommendations for polish or other product to use on it?

FOwnQeL.jpg

Hey Jaz,

Mother's Mag Aluminum Polish should take that out. Work it in with a toothbrush and make sure to clean it off really well.

It is not a foodsafe material, but should wash off fine with hot soap and water (I confirmed this with the parent company).

The knife should be honed on a ceramic or stropped after use. It tends to dull an edge.

You might try isopropyl alcohol before going to metal polishers.

If you wash with a sponge, make sure it is not one with a brillow pad, you will give the knife a new scotchbrite finish that way (which would be bad, or at least marginally annoying, LOL)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, TripleT. I have those products right here at home and will give it a try!

I'm looking for a simple smoked salmon recipe. (Matt "Westy" ;):D) What do you guys do for brine, rubs and methods? My wife and I are taking the travel trailer out for the weekend. I use a mid-sized Weber Kettle for my smoking when I'm camping. I mentioned simple because I try to "keep it simple" while camping. I did salmon a few years back and I don't recall what I did. :eek: I need to start a log of recipes and results then I can reference each time I smoked.

Back