The "Official" Fiddleback OFF-TOPIC thread!!!!!!!!

Dave - salmon is one of my favorites and the way I do it is incredibly simple. I would set up an indirect fire in your Weber and use a chunk or two of some sort of fruit wood if you have it (apple, peach, plum, cherry) to provide a little smoke flavor.

On the salmon itself, give it a little rub with olive oil and then hit it with a little salt and cracked pepper. Cook it indirect - if you can dial in your temps to 275-325 that's usually where I like to cook my salmon but higher temps won't hurt, just watch for doneness, it won't take long.

Once it is done, squeeze a little lemon over it and dig in!

If you have some smaller pieces you can cook them direct, it won't take long.

Dave - salmon is one of my favorites and the way I do it is incredibly simple. I would set up an indirect fire in your Weber and use a chunk or two of some sort of fruit wood if you have it (apple, peach, plum, cherry) to provide a little smoke flavor.

On the salmon itself, give it a little rub with olive oil and then hit it with a little salt and cracked pepper. Cook it indirect - if you can dial in your temps to 275-325 that's usually where I like to cook my salmon but higher temps won't hurt, just watch for doneness, it won't take long.

Once it is done, squeeze a little lemon over it and dig in!

If you have some smaller pieces you can cook them direct, it won't take long.

Thanks Matt! I like that method and I will definitely try it but for this weekend I think I'm going to do a little more traditional version. This is from memory and that is why I am asking for tips. I vaguely remember doing a brown sugar, salt, black pepper rub. I marinated overnight then indirect smoked at about 175 to 200 for a couple hours. I let is rest overnight and it was fantastic.

i use this recipe from the Kamado Joe YouTube channel
2 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon

Marinate a 1.5 to 2 pound filet in this brine for one hour while your grill is warming up to 250 degrees.

When the brine is complete, drain the brine and pat the fish dry. Dust both sides with paprika and put it on the smoker at 250 degrees with your choice of medium to light intensity smoking wood (I used apple.) <<<<<I use Alder wood. I figure the Alaskans probably know something about smoking salmon.

Mix up your glaze:

3 tbsp honey
1 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
zest of one orange
1 teaspoon Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey

When the fish is about ready (30 minutes or so), brush the glaze on the top of the salmon and remove it from the grill....

Phillip, I'll pay you (in coffee...animal crackers...compliments...an honored seat in my living room...) if you come cook at my house! Last night was grocery store sushi and chocolate milk!

Phillip, I'll pay you (in coffee...animal crackers...compliments...an honored seat in my living room...) if you come cook at my house! Last night was grocery store sushi and chocolate milk!

sounds good Tony!

edit

most of the time i eat standing up at my house

Wow that salmon looks delicious!
I've gotten try that one out on the Big green egg!

My wife is interviewing for a position this week that is very important for our family in terms of what we believe in and where we are trying to go together. It is in the field of genetic medicine. Please keep her in your thoughts!

My wife is interviewing for a position this week that is very important for our family in terms of what we believe in and where we are trying to go together. It is in the field of genetic medicine. Please keep her in your thoughts!

All the best to your wife Jarrett. I'm sure she will be successful :thumbup:

I hope all goes well for your wife!

Good luck to your wife!!

I thought this would be a good place to post some pics of the scandi knives I have made in my garage. It is a low budge operation with a 1x42" grinder and a home made 2 brick forge. I have been amazed by how well they work. I tried a few convex knives last summer and I will probably try some more convex knives here sometime soon.

IMG_2332_zpsvg7b8pfa.jpg

IMG_0324_zpswtfviun1.jpg

I think the finish work is the hardest. So I bought a nice knife vise.

IMG_2343_zpszn6sfbo4.jpg

This is the third scandi I made and the only knife I have tried to hand sand the flats. That was a pain in the butt. You can see it was inspired by the three finger karda. The handle on this one probably doesn't pass Andy's poop test but it is super comfortable.

IMG_3456_zpsjjb7j1yz.jpg

This was very much inspired by the ed karda. I have since done more finish work on the handle so it looks a little better now than in this pic.

IMG_0730_zpspggw0kso.jpg

This was the first one I made. The shape is inspired by a knife made by Brian Sargent. The grinds look a little funky because I didn't have a good tool rest at the time but the knife works great.

IMG_0428_zpsbbprafpw.jpg

IMG_0536_zpsdgcmbkqn.jpg

IMG_0538_zpsqivntqmi.jpg

It has been an enjoyable process with a steep learning curve. I haven't done anything in awhile but I just started a fun project trying to convert a condor hudson bay into a wsk/tracker knife. I saw someone do it on another forum and his turned out incredible. We will see what happens with mine.

Thanks for looking!

Absolutely love that picture with the hand dril (Thumb Drill?) and the fire.

Just beautiful,

The shavings right below it comes in a close second.

Back