The "Official" Fiddleback OFF-TOPIC thread!!!!!!!!

I'm hitting the road in a couple days for a nice long weekend of camping and bushcrafting.

In addition to getting to play with my favorite knives (the Bushfinger, Camp Nessie and Camp will be going) I'll be testing a new day hiking setup. I've swapped out a Hill People Gear Highlander that I've used for the last 3 years for a HPG Connor.

Connor on the left loaded up:

Lots of redundancies here, some of which is because I like playing in the woods. I'm also medium speed, moderate drag, and don't mind carrying plenty of stuff, even if I'm just wandering around in the woods for the day.

I use Kifaru Pullouts to add some organization, although with the velcro panel in the Connor I plan on swapping some of those out for tool rolls and other pouches that I can mount to the panel.

Left to right and top to bottom:
Mountain Hardware Dry-Q rain jacket and Mountain Tech fleece with Air Shield Elite.
Water jugs and cup, TP and sanitizer, clothing pullout, technology pullout, poncho tarp, FAK pullout, fire kit and cookset pullout, paracord and braided ridgeline, saw, food pullout.

Unpacked:

Tech Pullout: spare batteries, spare light
Fire and Cookset Pullout: GSI minimalist, Trangia with extra fuel, HD aluminum foil windscreen that I keep having to replace (need to make something more permanent), matchcase, Ferro rod, fat wood, saw scraper, stand for Trangia, tinder (PJCB, lint, wet fire) in an Altoids tin.
Clothing: neck gaiter, hat, winter gloves, spare socks and sock liners

The other part of my standard carry is a HPG Heavy Recon Kit Bag with:
Map Case with map of the area I'll be in, Field Notes and pen and pencil, gloves, headlamp, paracord, Tops Turley #23 kit with most of the stuff replaced, more fire starting stuff, compass, ear plugs, marking tape, emergency blanket, sun stuff, potable water tabs and bag, TP, flashlight, TOPS Tibo knife, compact glasses. There would also normally be some food in here, Clif bar, Energy Gel, Drink mixes.

I'll also have various stuff stashed in pockets and on my belt like leathermans, SAKs, flashlights and of course a belt knife riding in a dangler.

Dang that looks good!

Any deer hunters around here? This is a hind quarters that I cooked up whole on the kamado this winter.

Cooker was all in:

That looks great!!

I'm an adult onset hunter. I've only been doing it for a couple years, but I fricken love it. My buddy was kind enough to offer to take me out and it has become one of my favorite things. Last year I roasted a whole hind for Thanksgiving. I'll see if I have some pictures I can share at some point. In the mean time. Here's my buck and bull from last year. I have both of these hunts filmed, though my bull wasn't the best footage. My buddy and I doubled up on elk and I got his kill on video but just missed mine off frame. It's tough to hunt and film at the same time!

Bull, just a rag horn, but he filled up the freezer and he's delicious. 300 yards, 1 shot with my .270 win.
me6o6SGl.jpg

Here's my buck. I am really proud of this one. Only my second year hunting, I was solo, and I got it all on film. Also with the .270, I don't remember the distance, maybe 230 yards.
v4f9bVLl.jpg

I'll share the videos some time soon. I have the buck hunt edited and uploaded.

Thurin, those Kifaru pull outs are sweet! I need to get more of those. I've got 1 for my "kill kit" that always rides in my Kifaru DT2 when I'm hunting but I could use a couple more...

Kifaru makes the best hunting packs you can get in my opinion.

I'm hitting the road in a couple days for a nice long weekend of camping and bushcrafting.

In addition to getting to play with my favorite knives (the Bushfinger, Camp Nessie and Camp will be going) I'll be testing a new day hiking setup. I've swapped out a Hill People Gear Highlander that I've used for the last 3 years for a HPG Connor.

Thurin, I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on the Conner when you get back. I've been really interested in one. It looks to be an awesome pack.

you definitely need a kamado.

its a game changer............no more dry chicken breasts!

i was very intimidated when i got mine. i didn't think i would ever be able to make smoking meat as easy as it seems on the videos.

but it is. once you set daisy wheel and the ash tray door to the correct place you can walk away and the temp will hold for hours. like 18

Thurin, I really like your new pack, it looks pretty versatile.

Great idea for a new thread Phillip. I had been wondering recently why we didn't have one.

You could say deer hunting is a large part of my job. Here are some venison backstrap steaks in prep.

c97fa14d6ae594fcd79c581e11478fbf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol not really Jerry :)

Once I finished my PK in the white 20K grit Suehiro and could shave my face without much discomfort :eek:

Maybe I'll stash a couple if mine in your next shipment and you can work your magic
:D

Tx...killing me with that pic of venison backstrap. And Phillip, I have a Primo version of the kamado. But I still don't know how to use it properly. How about a trip up here to North Carolina sometime soon?

Tx...killing me with that pic of venison backstrap. And Phillip, I have a Primo version of the kamado. But I still don't know how to use it properly. How about a trip up here to North Carolina sometime soon?

we can arrange that

those look awesome Tx

Thanks. I have found ageing venison (in a cooler, hide on, full animal - not broken down just field dressed) around 10 days does wonders and really improves the quality of the meat.

Back