1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The "Official" Fiddleback OFF-TOPIC thread!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by VANCE, May 9, 2016.

1. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    What temperature do you do this at?

I wish I had the ability to age the elk and deer that I kill using that method. It's tough to keep them whole when you're 3-6 miles in...

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  2. TxSportsman

TxSportsman Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    38(ish) deg F - If whole isn't an option then just quarter it down meticulously as to not get any fluids on the meat, that way you don't have to rinse it off with any water. Keeping the meat dry is something I make a point to do when I am looking at aging some.

3. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    I may try that with my buck this year assuming I draw a tag. It's tough with the elk because they're so dang large! It took 3 of us on the first trip, and 4 on the second to carry out two elk last year and they were on the smaller side of the bull scale. We normally bone out everything.

4. schmittie

schmittie

Nov 28, 2009
    I actually aged a young little buck for the first time this past season. This guy - (he wasn't fully mature and was only about 190 lbs on the hoof. I'm not smiling cause there is a story on how I shot him. Let's just say it was a Hail Mary that landed :( )

[​IMG]

I was only able to do 6 or 7 days though on account of the temperature.

Typically, when I get a deer, the temp is 20° or so for a high and we debone ASAP. I've had good results both ways but haven't had enough of the buck I aged this year to have made a decision on it.

TxS, can I ask what the real advantage is that you have found? I'm still learning and only average 2-4 deer a year for the past 8 years, butchering the whole deer for the past 5. I'm eager to learn from those that know what to do. :)

5. _Westy_

_Westy_

Dec 19, 2009
    Any revolver guys? Here is my deer "gittter" - S&W Performance Center 657 - .41 Magnum

[​IMG]

6. _Westy_

_Westy_

Dec 19, 2009
    I've been meaning to get a couple pictures taken for that thread!

7. Guhul

Guhul

Oct 30, 2015
    Sure thing...i dont mind where...keep 'em coming. I just got a 12 ga double barrel....maybe i should get one :D

8. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    i love the 41 mg round. its the only round i have reloaded for
    i used 250gr cast performance bullets

mine gun of choice was a custom built Ruger Blackhawk by Alpha Precision

9. MajorD

MajorD Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2007
    Nice Matt!! This a pic of mine. (I no longer have the Muk.) I need to take a few current pics.

[​IMG]

10. Tekton

Tekton

Mar 8, 2015
    Love that pic MajorD

11. Luca917

Luca917 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2016
    What he said!

12. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    this is almost as frustrating as when I reply to a PM only to find it wont go through because the senders box is full
    i try very hard to ensure my PM's are in check

13. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    thats a cool rig MajorD

14. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    this could be a problem come Friday
    [​IMG]

ive sent mentioned it in the tech support forum and sent a PM to Esav

15. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    on a side note im watching

16. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    the last alaskans

17. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    for some reason if i post that all in one post it blocks me

18. LavaWood

LavaWood Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 13, 2014
    That holster is badass!

19. Kymedic45

Kymedic45

Apr 28, 2013
    I'm just starting the last alaskans. Thank God for dvr. Then onto alone lol

Resident assistant thread jacker