The "Whatever" Thread

On Sunday the Will County SWAT Team will be at the New Lenox Target store to help needy children shop for Christmas. Connie and three other employees will be helping them out. Say what you want about Target, they do a lot of good things for the community, like feed the homeless in the Joliet shelter, and doing many fund raisers for cancer. All items that do not sell after price reductions are donated to different organizations.

That is a great photo of Sophie and hound. The expressions on both of their faces is classic.

On Sunday the Will County SWAT Team will be at the New Lenox Target store to help needy children shop for Christmas. Connie and three other employees will be helping them out. Say what you want about Target, they do a lot of good things for the community, like feed the homeless in the Joliet shelter, and doing many fund raisers for cancer. All items that do not sell after price reductions are donated to different organizations.
They do that take kids shopping thing out here also.
Sometimes it's the police and sometimes the FD.:cool:
Good for Connie of helping out.:thumbsup:

Yes, at Walmart. We also do a gift drop off at a few houses for kids that otherwise wouldn't have much of a Christmas. Several local agencies participate and we sing carols at the houses as well. I've done it twice and it was very heartwarming.

Will County has the Bearcat which is pretty cool to get a look at.

Yes, at Walmart. We also do a gift drop off at a few houses for kids that otherwise wouldn't have much of a Christmas. Several local agencies participate and we sing carols at the houses as well. I've done it twice and it was very heartwarming.

Will County has the Bearcat which is pretty cool to get a look at.
Great thing to do!

Everyone starting to feel the excitement of the upcoming holiday season? We drove to a tree farm Sunday for our Christmas Tree. It was a family event with my older son and his wife joining us. I loved every minute of walking through the many acres of beautiful trees with my family. My younger son was wide open running and laughing as he picked trees he knew were much too tall for our living room. After an hour or so of hiking we finally reached a consensus and sawed down our prize. It is a nice tree but in reality probably not any better than the hundreds of other trees we walked past. It's now decorated but looks nothing like the "designer trees" where everything coordinates. It's a mix of decorations we've accumulated over the years. I'm sure there are many who would turn their nose up and call it tacky. I couldn't care less about what others think. It's our tree and we love it. Merry Christmas

Sounds like a good day with family! Our tree is a hodgepodge of ornaments. Some were my grandparents, some were my parents, some from my first marriage, and the ones Connie and I got together. Some are close to 100 years old.

It's supposed to be a hodgepodge! My family started a tradition where the adults buy or make each other ornaments every year. It helps keep costs down (especially with so many kids to buy for), and it adds a unique touch to everyone's trees. My wife made some great ones last year, including a clear ornament filled with fresh hops for my home-brewing brother. We made a couple with our daughter's hand and foot prints and even one with the puppy's paw print! We haven't decided if we'll put up our tree this year. Our 18-month old like knocking things over right now.

That sounds like a great tradition. Love the idea of the hops filled ornament. We did make a couple last year with my son's handprint and Izzie's pawprint.

I hate to be "that guy", but after years of getting a fresh tree every year, we went and got an artificial this year. We have a rather tall family room, so our trees would be in the 10-12' range, and would cost a fair amount each year. Other than the nice smell, there's not a lot of draw for getting a real tree. They make a mess, you have to water them, etc. Plus, our son is 22, so we don't have the little ones anymore that would get into the whole tree thing.

Of course, now I have to find a place to store the tree every year, LOL.

We got a fake tree years ago, very thin about 6 feet, when it's lights stopped working we just wrapped some colored string lights around it. I think it was an after Christmas sale, got it for 39.00, waiting for my daughter to get home from college to put on more ornaments together. It is not really a tradition, but we like to go to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg to see their lights, just cool to see and do as a family, helps to get into the Christmas spirit. And we like to exchange ornaments with family too.

Last edited:
Back