The "Whatever" Thread

Got a shingles vaccine shot Friday. Kicked my butt, I was down for the weekend, felt like the flu. Feeling better tonight.

We got 10-18" of snow coming Tuesday, oh boy.

Got a shingles vaccine shot Friday. Kicked my butt, I was down for the weekend, felt like the flu. Feeling better tonight.

We got 10-18" of snow coming Tuesday, oh boy.
We got about a foot, it was a workout shoveling out the cars.

When ever churches can open up i need a super nice church knife folder. Im thinking northwoods or the gec 44. What does everyone else carry to church. Also keep in mind I carry a very nice custom weighted to my hand .45acp cocked and locked to church. But covid has made sure I can not worship.
When I'm wanting to carry a sheeple friendly blade it's usually my ZT 0230. It's the only non-traditional slip joint I own and I really like it.

I just measured the snow, 9”! More still coming down.
Our snowfall total yesterday was on the low end of the forecast and that's okay by me. It was enough for kids to sleigh ride in all day but not so much it was difficult for me to shovel.

Glad you like it, I enjoy making them.

I think it is interesting that the stop pin for the flipper when open is also the stop pin for the guard when closed. And that you have to have the guard filed just right to make room for the stop pin where it touches when closed. The pivot pin also has to be in the correct position to make the whole thing arc correctly. John, do you need some kind of radius to figure how it moves when opening and closing? There are a few details that need to come together. John, is there some different aspects you like about making folders? Thanks, John for your work. And just for curiosity, have you ever made a hidden tang knife? How is your forging experimentation working? That has been awhile ago if I remember correctly.

I made several cardboard patterns until I got everything how I wanted it, then when I got it right I made an aluminum pattern of the blade and handle.
I have not done a hidden stick tang knife, but I have done a hidden tang mortised tang knife. Can’t remember who has it. I stopped forging when the one bitchy neighbor complained to the police about the noise.

I'm feeling very optimistic about this year :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gonna get a physical for the first time in years, which I need even if I'm still pretty young...

and starting to slowly work on setting up a workshop for myself, and, especially, reducing the net total of I knives I have over the course of the year

it'll be tricky 'cause I know I'll be acquiring at least a couple new ones, maybe half a dozen or so, so I'll have to buy a Gold membership and get busy on the exchange soon :)

plus lots of other exciting things are bound to happen, I'm sure. hopefully nothing too interesting this time

just checking to see if anyone has heard how RIP De Quincey ( formerly known as Hijo de Luna) is doing? His inbox is full.

Last edited:
Also formerly known as MB. I haven’t heard from him since his order was canceled

thanks, I knew he had said he was taking some time away. Just wants to say hi and let him know we were thinking of him.

yeah, I mean

I look forward to not feeling miserable all the time, to the point others mistake me for suicidal - I mean, that's pretty miserable!

but I do look forward to picking up that Tool when things are a bit better

and thinking it'll be nice not spending oodles and oodles of money on knives I'll probably mostly end up giving away

totally worth every penny, just not every year like last year pls

am I right? happens the best of us, I'm sure

Back