Thrifty Thursday... Cheap Traditional Knives

Thriftiness from golden years of yore:
BeNRa3V.jpg

I know it isn't something uncommon and everyone interested probably has it already, but I just returned from the store with this one and I'm glad I managed to get it.
I wasn't sure if this model will ever reach my country, and when I got notification there was only 1 in the latest shipment, I quickly went to get it. Even a few EUR cheaper than Rough Ryders usually cost here. Surprising they didn't price gouge with a popular model.

About 3 years ago, I went on a thrifty barlow binge, and bought this Rite Edge Barlow for under $4:
View attachment 1420894
- GT
The last of the knives from my bargain barlow binge of Independence Day 2017. With a 20% discount code, this Sarge BSA Barlow with 440C blades cost about $8.
View attachment 1429317
- GT
I think I paid a little more for my Szco Rite Edge, and Sarge BSA Barlows, but they are fine knives, well worth carrying. :)
Hopefully the first in command will remember to bring my cigar box of knives to me, and I'll be able to carry them (and a few others) again.

It might be pushing the limits of "inexpensive"* at $16.99, but this Marbles D2 Sowbelly is the least expensive I'm carrying this week.
(*I don't own any "cheap" knives. I have "inexpensive" knives. There is a difference. :) )

View attachment 1429497

Bought sight unseen. About $20 for two lovely shades of Desert Ironwood.:oops: Made in China.

https://i.imgur.com/lAzFEMU.jpg[/img]']

The blades look (slight hollow?) ground nice and thin. I like the great big nail nicks on the secondarys.
There is an overall...I dunno, um, continuity or something, that I find so appealing. The level of finish appears to me as a consistant good or better, but without much polish. To me it does'nt look crude; but rather, workmanlike. It displays a refinement in terms of being a well made tool, more than being a pretty shiny thing. That is the first of the offshore Schrades I've seen, that make me want to get one.
I am checking out the new Schrade offerings.

The blades look (slight hollow?) ground nice and thin. I like the great big nail nicks on the secondarys.
There is an overall...I dunno, um, continuity or something, that I find so appealing. The level of finish appears to me as a consistant good or better, but without much polish. To me it does'nt look crude; but rather, workmanlike. It displays a refinement in terms of being a well made tool, more than being a pretty shiny thing. That is the first of the offshore Schrades I've seen, that make me want to get one.
I am checking out the new Schrade offerings.

The blade is nice and thin and takes a good, sharp edge. The 7Cr17MoV steel is fine for some things. Probably not for any heavy duty work though. :p

The blade is nice and thin and takes a good, sharp edge. The 7Cr17MoV steel is fine for some things. Probably not for any heavy duty work though. :p
My apologies. I must respectfully disagree.

7CR14MoV is "the same" (note quotes) as 440A.
Admittedly, I haven't used my offshore Old Timers as "hard" (note quotes) as I did my USA Old Timers with "Schrade +" (440A) blades.
Among other things, I'm no longer working in an auto repair shop, I'm not a fabrication welder any more, I shut down my lawn and tree trimming/removal business, haven't had hundreds of palm fronds a day to cut to fit in trash cans, etc., etc.

I have however, used a offshore produced BTI 858OT stockman with 7CR14MoV blades to clear brush along the bike trail, and drop over-long drooping branches (up to 3-4 inch diameter*) from the trees downtown, so people wouldn't get hit in the face.
The edge held up just fine. At least as well as my old 440A "Schrade +" blades. Admittedly, I haven't scraped any head gaskets, cut heater/radiator hose, and other auto repair shop tasks with any of my offshore Schrade's.
I would be surprised if the offshore Schrade can't peel just as many critters, clean as many fish, scrape as many gaskets, cut as much heater hose, strip as much wire/cable, whittle as many feather sticks and tent stakes, and so on, as the old 440A "Schrade +" did/can/does.

7CR14MoV is just as capable of "hard work" as 440A is. While 440A may not have a reputation for "hard use", it ain't no slouch.
When using my offshore Schrade knives on my last job, (over the road truck driver) I never thought to myself ... "golly ...if only I had a ___ instead of this knife..."

Like 440A and 420HC, 7CR14MoV has never let me down.

*I dropped the whole branch, from as close to the trunk as I could get, not just the itty bit hanging where folks was walking/rollerblading/skateboarding/biking etc..
Fix the problem right, not 1/16 arse, and have to do the job over in a couple weeks, or a month later. (city sure wasn't trimming the trees, or anything else.)

afishhunter afishhunter I agree that it is basically 440A. Really, they will get the job done. I have an old SOG in AUS6 and it works great too. Easy to sharpen and they will get screaming sharp. The heat treat on these Chinese Schrade knives is probably in the 54-56 HRc range but that is fine for no more than I do with mine.

Heres a older Chicago cutlery C102 parer I picked up today at Goodwill for exactly 19 cents.

I just finished giving it a minor clean up and sharpening, it's not pretty but it will go in my tackle bag as a general purpose knife I don't have to worry much about.

EDIT : I just realized this is page 19, and that's exactly what this knife cost me.
Interesting coincidence.

Last edited:
Fifteen dollars. I think I got a good bang for the buck.
kD4MzFQ.jpg

I think it's hand-made Pakistan. It doesn't have the polish of Chinese factory. I liked the shape and I bid low. Whatever the steel is, it's very hard.

It's a Louis Martin, by the way. There's a scathing speculative thread about them in a maker's subforum, from last March.

Last edited:
Heres a older Chicago cutlery C102 parer I picked up today at Goodwill for exactly 19 cents.

I just finished giving it a minor clean up and sharpening, it's not pretty but it will go in my tackle bag as a general purpose knife I don't have to worry much about.

EDIT : I just realized this is page 19, and that's exactly what this knife cost me.
Interesting coincidence.
Buy a lottery ticket.

Back