Traditional folders of Hungary

Few more pictures.

ac1e3452a41d2ca9d0f91ec69615d9bd.jpg

4837ac1dacac79ab03ed52bd45af5400.jpg

0f8d94154af1bdf9b360780d7716d1d2.jpg

Unfortunately, I do not know :(
The photographer: Ede Ellinger. He was famous Hungarian photographer.

He was Francesco Kossuth, brother of Lajos. And he has been friend of my great-great-grandmother. I have the photo and many letters between the two

Attila mentioned terms useful to know (I won't bother you with pronunciation :) ) i can complete with a few others.
kés : knife
bicska : folder knife
about the patterns :
Szénacél : carbon steel
Pakli : bolster
Réz : brass
Arató : harvester
Egyedi : special
Fejesgörbe # curved with head
Gombászkés : mushroom knife
Gráci probali comes fron the Austrian town Graz (spell Grác in Hungarian).
Juhász : shepherd (sheeps)
Körmölő : scrapper, another shepherd pattern
Nö(i) : (of/for) woman
széles : wide
Szalonnázó : derives of szalonna : bacon. Similar to the Melon tester pattern. Here is my father's (a very plain old one) in action :D
szalonnazo.jpg

Excellent, thanks very much Jolipapa! :thumbup:

I'm guessing your father hailed from that part of the world?

Nice photo and a very tasty looking lunch being prepared there. :)

One of the things I most enjoy about the Traditional forum is the avenues it presents to learn more about other countries and cultures through their edged tools.

This is shaping up to be a great thread!

Excellent, thanks very much Jolipapa! :thumbup:

I'm guessing your father hailed from that part of the world?

Nice photo and a very tasty looking lunch being prepared there. :)

One of the things I most enjoy about the Traditional forum is the avenues it presents to learn more about other countries and cultures through their edged tools.

This is shaping up to be a great thread!

Thank you Sir, you're right on all points! Dad was born in Budapest and came with my grand parents in 1922. They were bound to USA or Canada but the unexpected arrival of my aunt had them change their plans! Then Dad met Ma dancing the csárdás in a folk team. Her father had left the then Hungarian Nyitra for the Gai Paris at the end of the XIXth cent.
My other Grand'Pa was from Újvidék now Novi Sad. All transmitted me the love of the Magyar culture, traditions and FOOD! :D -

This is a really enjoyable thread. I don't have anything to add knife wise but it has peeked my interest in Hungarian knives. Some wonderful traditional knives being shown.

My paternal grand father emigrated from Gyor, Hungary, with his family, in 1902. He was four years old at the time. They immigrated to the USA and settled in Pittsburgh, PA.

Thanks that was great, I have to share those videos. :)

Here's my Nagypapa's bicska, my cousin gave it to me the last time I went home 10 years ago, it's a Gerlach pruner.

Some really nice pruners and hawkbills, here's mine, I've posted this one before so excuse my lazy butt, I just voted and pasted :) ;: The dates are off a few years now but I still use the knife whenever I have kielbasa.

This was my Grandfathers knife, from 40 years ago. The last time I saw him, (I was 15 then) he used it to cut Kielbasa and smoked/cured meats in the pantry for our afternoon meals along with cutting up bread and onions and peppers to go with the ham.

prunera.jpg

My cousin found it in the basement and gave it to me as a gift when I went home.

It's gotta be over 65 years old and other than the pitting/character it's as strong as the day he let me use it to cut myself a piece of kielbasa the last day I saw him.

prunerb.jpg

I hadn't even thought of that day or the knife in nearly 40 years, her giving me that knife brought a tear to this old Mad Hungarians eye.

It says Gerlach Poland on the tang I'm not even sure what kind of wood it has for handles, anyone ever seen or heard of this brand.

prunerc.jpg

The funny part, when my grandfather died 35 years ago his daughter in law threw it out and my cousin who's my age (56) garbage picked it and saved that and his Bull Horn that he used to keep his sharpening stone in and hanging on his belt for sharpening his scythe when working in the fields, the horn has to be 100+ years old.

Three more pictures to finish this story:

First is the horn my grandfather had that he kept the sharpening stone in:

horn.jpg

Here's a picture of my grandfather and 6 of my mother's brothers and sisters, if you look on his belt you'll see the horn hanging:

grnpalrg.jpg

For the old folk with bi-focals here's a closeup:

grnpalrga.jpg

I still have the horn sheath and knife, Here's the horn with a Laguiole my sister in law gave me. I need to take some better pictures to post here. :)

hMMcH2h.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Sir, you're right on all points! Dad was born in Budapest and came with my grand parents in 1922. They were bound to USA or Canada but the unexpected arrival of my aunt had them change their plans! Then Dad met Ma dancing the csárdás in a folk team. Her father had left the then Hungarian Nyitra for the Gai Paris at the end of the XIXth cent.
My other Grand'Pa was from Újvidék now Novi Sad. All transmitted me the love of the Magyar culture, traditions and FOOD! :D -

Very interesting. Thank you for that, JP!

About time you showed up Ted! I've kept wondering where you were (I didn't know of JP's Hungarian heritage)! :D :thumbup:

This is a great thread :) :thumbup:

Splendid!
A mai menü. Today's menu! :)

Ooh now you're talking, JP! That looks delicious.

I actually wanted to ask you about Hungarian food before, but didn't want to divert from the knives!

Thanks for the closer look at the Szalonnázó as well. :thumbup:

A slight diversion from the knives. In 1970 and 1971 I spent a year in Europe. In the dead of winter I visited Budapest for a couple of days. The food there was the best I experienced for the entire year.

Back