1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 17 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KaBar Becker BK 15 Mini Camp!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK 15, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Apil 27; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Traditional knives, traditional storage

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jnevill, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Thanks,
    I'll probably get a chest eventually, but like creating my own solutions when I can.

jnevill and Ramrodmb like this.
  2. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    @Pinemoon, that's a very cool idea for "standup storage"! :cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

jnevill, Pinemoon and zolthar like this.
  3. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    My storage is rather simple, just a couple of drawers in my desk. The left drawer holds my 3-1/2" knives, my right drawer holds my "hard use" knives, and the basket holds all my watch pocket knives. I also have my '19 Guardian knife and my most prized GEC locked in the safe for safe keeping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ramrodmb, jnevill, TheChunk91 and 9 others like this.
  4. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Very nice @Pinemoon. Clever and Cool.

jnevill and Pinemoon like this.
  5. zolthar

zolthar Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 9, 2015
    That looks great, wonderful solution! :cool::thumbsup:

jnevill and Pinemoon like this.
  6. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Thanks, GT!
    Now my knives are standing at attention, ready for the totin'
    :)

7. JB in SC

JB in SC Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2001
    Hard to beat a US made Gerstner's. I ordered a small one at Blade some years back for about a third of what one costs today.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    jnevill, Pinemoon and Peregrin like this.
  8. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    My dad gave me this tackle box several years ago for christmas. I keep a lot of knives in it, but nothing real fancy. Not any bones in here except the fixed blade that's showing, which is gone now.

IMG_3417.JPG

My best knives are kept in sack ups 18 pouch rolls. I have nine of those, eight of which are full. I have a ten pouch sack ups that holds big knives like full size lockbacks and folding hunters. I also have three small cedar chests. I will show those when I get a chance to take some photos.

peanutsxx, Jak3, Aryan29 and 7 others like this.
  9. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Another Gerstner fan here. I purchased this chest at a flea market during a vacation trip to Massachusetts, from the son of a retired machinist. It now houses much of my Victorinox collection.

A3470CE7-40F5-4DFF-8F38-9041ACF053AF.jpeg

peanutsxx, zolthar, Jak3 and 11 others like this.
  10. TheChunk91

Aug 15, 2013
    This cedar chest is all user schrades, old pre delrin/swinden knives.

IMG_3428.JPG

This one has some big stockmans and a few cattle knives with room for future things.

IMG_3429.JPG

This one is old imperials, all have the 1936-52 stamp and there's one old hammer brand. Mostly scouts and cattle knives.

IMG_3430.JPG

A different kind of chest with mostly pre delrin/swinden schrades and a few other knives. All small guys.

IMG_3431.JPG

peanutsxx, jnevill, jwb01 and 9 others like this.
  11. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    ...and here I was wondering what I was going to do to store what I thought was a lot of kniveso_Oo_O

Fodderwing and TheChunk91 like this.
  12. TheChunk91

Aug 15, 2013
    The amount of knives I have is ridiculous.

I could open up a museum, "Come and see the loony bin that is the knife accumulator's abode, and his collection of excess, for your perusal and gawking pleasure". $10 per tour. Then with that money... :eek::D

13. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    I'd pay $10 to gawk at em. :D

jnevill, JohnDF, 315 and 1 other person like this.
  14. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Touché

Cheaper than a movie and I’d actually remember what I saw:D

jnevill, JohnDF and TheChunk91 like this.
  15. TheChunk91

Aug 15, 2013
    Well that was an easy sell. Maybe I should have made it $25. :D

peanutsxx, jnevill and 315 like this.
  16. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    I'll go $25 and if you want to see mine it will be $50.

315 likes this.
  17. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    I bought a number of Harbor Freight plastic tray boxes. Translucent crappy plastic, removable inserts suitable for fishing stuff, small parts, fasteners, and KNIVES. This made my folding knife collection possible, along with my databasing method for finding the dang things again when I want to. Celluloid-handled knives are different. Cigar boxes with cocked lids, blades all opened, cool dark room. Fixed blades are everywhere, but often in padded 4 pistol storage cases.

jnevill likes this.
  18. Shankenstein

Shankenstein Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2015
    This is my current situation. Made some extra hooks for this Victorinox rotating display. Moderns are on the other side. These are the knives in my current rotation sans the A. Wright in my pocket, and the smooth green bone Rough Rider canoe that serves as my pajama/sweat pants knife. This setup is becoming insufficient. I have so many knives that I'd like to add to the rotation, but they instead sit in 4-50rd ammo cans, and I don't always want to dig through them. I'll be working on a better way to access and display.

[​IMG]

zolthar, jnevill, 315 and 3 others like this.
  19. jnevill

jnevill

Mar 8, 2008
    Did it come with the key? You can still get some of the keys from Gerstner.

20. TheChunk91

Aug 15, 2013
    I'll do $50. Do you have a gift shop too?

Fodderwing likes this.