Viper Dan club - super exclusive!

My burgundy was suppose to arrive yesterday, got hung up in Colorado, must be it wanted to see the sights before heading to PA ;) But tracking shows it's arrived at the local post office so it should be delivered today ! :)
G2

Well, the Burgundy arrived, very nice as well, but the texture, while being just only a little more texture than the Carbon Fiber, isn't enough to make me give up the CF ;) so I'll be putting the Burgundy up forsale later on today, and, it's not as pinkish as some of the forsale sites make it appear, it's more a real burgundy colour so that was good ;)
G2

Well, the Burgundy arrived, very nice as well, but the texture, while being just only a little more texture than the Carbon Fiber, isn't enough to make me give up the CF ;) so I'll be putting the Burgundy up forsale later on today, and, it's not as pinkish as some of the forsale sites make it appear, it's more a real burgundy colour so that was good ;)
G2

I think the only time the Micarta will have the traction advantage over the Viper CF is when the handle gets slippery wet with say oil not just water.

[video=youtube;PjNBYXtwpiw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjNBYXtwpiw[/video]

Thanks that does make sense on that material.
G2

I think the only time the Micarta will have the traction advantage over the Viper CF is when the handle gets slippery wet with say oil not just water.

Yep - micarta is a love and hate affair for me. I absolutely love the looks of canvans (and linen) micarta and like you said, offers great traction when wet...BUT, the canvas also gets dirty pretty damn quickly. it's harder to see on darker colors, but if you use your knives quite a bit with dirty hand, the canvas start darkening in no time. Still never prevented me from picking the "Micarta" option when available (unless it's a color I don't care for)

RRRRRRRAAAAAAAA I'LL KILL YOU, HUCK!!! GIMME MY VIPER DAN!!!!!!

*straightens tie*

...um....hey, so...I may have overreacted a scosch. Nice knife, there, I certainly am calmly awaiting my own to arrive...heh...

Very nice Huckleberry! and Craig it'll get there man ;) and they are worth the wait !
G2

I just wonder why they chose to put a half stop on the Dan. It seems to be completely unnecessary and makes one-handed opening and closing more difficult.

I just wonder why they chose to put a half stop on the Dan. It seems to be completely unnecessary and makes one-handed opening and closing more difficult.

That probably is the point. Made in Europe, & many European nations have restrictive laws on various designs.

Intentional by design for strict laws so that you're forced to use two hands?

I've found that you can open these designs slowly using one hand by pinching the blade using your thumb and index finger.

Last edited:
Intentional by design for strict laws so that you're forced to use two hands.

I've found that you can open these designs slowly using one hand by pinching the blade using your thumb and index finger.

I have no trouble simply opening it with the thumb and closing it with the index finger, and Viper's rep at Blade Show specifically made a selling point of it being openable with one hand, so this doesn't sound correct to me.

I have no trouble simply opening it with the thumb and closing it with the index finger, and Viper's rep at Blade Show specifically made a selling point of it being openable with one hand, so this doesn't sound correct to me.

The description of the Dan from the Viper website alludes to the one-handed opening but for non-violent uses:

The Dan model, answers to a specific contemporary need: to carry a knife, suitable for everyday life, not considered offensive. To this can be easily opened with one hand, but comes out without a locking system. Designed by Tommaso Rumici, it is our first sports folder equipped with mechanical Action Stopper®, now thoroughly tested after many years after its debut. The system is similar to that used on Britola and Regional series: opposing the right resistance to be safe in generic uses, such as multi-purpose Swiss, but definitely unsuitable for violent uses. The name is followed by a number that identifies the blade shape and hides the acronym "Daily Assorted Needs" that suggests the great versatility of this small folder.​

I actually like the half stop - especially when closing the knife one handed. I have no problem opening it either - I find it pretty easy to open with one hand (see video I posted in an earlier thread)

I'm liking the Dan 2 more than I thought I would. It's getting pocket time like 5 day out of the week. Love this knife!

In Australia we have a law against Auto opening, which is defined as " if you start the blade opening, it will continue opening fully." Flippers fall foul of this due to low friction. I suspect the half stop might make it acceptable.

I don't know what I'd do if they changed it to not have the half stop, so use to opening and closing it with that, it's second nature, and I agree, love this knife, very ideal at least to me!
G2

Back