Watch out! This might be a trap!

Time to put this to rest, so here goes:
----------------------------------------

Different applications

Keep in mind that the following are just some of the possibilities.

1st of all, it can be used as a trail set trigger with a lifting snare as shown by Doc Ron in his video. (If you want to check it out, you'll have to spring for the video - well worth it, though - link's in the OP).

----------------------------

Next, a simple lifting-pole neck snare, triggered by the bait being disturbed - I think Coote's pictures, demonstrate this well.

NailTrig2.jpg

-------------------------

It can be used as a drop snare: (Coote's diagram) (this could also be adapted as a 'drowning trap'.)

DropDownPoleSnare.jpg

Here, when the critter pulls on the bait, it releases the weight, tightening the snare around its neck and pulls the critter off the branch, where it hangs.

------------------------------------------

Here it is used as a deadfall or a drop net trigger with a trail set.

nailtraptriggerdeadfall.jpg

-------------------------------

A pail trap, to ensure the critter sticks its head through the noose. The angle of the snare to the lifting pole cord would not be as extreme as shown by the drawing.

PailTrap.jpg

-------------------------------------

Another type of drop snare.

ShowerTrigger.jpg

----------------------------------------

The one I was most pleased with, recently (you may remember seeing this from the "It was a BOO-tiful day" thread:

dropnetwithnailtrapsetup.jpg

Trigger detail:

dropnetnailtraptrigger.jpg

This one worked like a charm!

So now you've seen a few possibilities. Really, the variations are as limitless as your imagination.

BTW, you might be interested in this:

A few years ago, Slasher, Phil and I were camped out and decided to play with the nail trap trigger. Here's a picture of it made with Wood Nettle (Laportea canadensis) cordage and a stick. You might notice that this was the original method I used to locate the anchor loops. It was tied to an old cut off shrub shoot.

The reason I had the coat behind it was

Triggerwithcoat2-IMGP0071.jpg

tied with natural cordage, you can barely see it in front of the leaf litter.

Trigger1-IMGP0065.jpg

Anyway, however you tie it or set it, the Nail Trap Trigger is a beauty. Give it a try, the next time you're outdoors. Set it properly and you should have it nailed. :rolleyes:

Hope you enjoyed.

Doc

Last edited:
Late day at work today, playing with this again will have to wait. I'll get a video up when I do it :thumbup:

Doc, thanks for all your work in putting this thread together and helping us out :thumbup: I've said it before, but, you rock :)

Hey chopchop, while I was waiting for my wife (in WalMart) I was thinking about your attempt to make the anchor loops with a single loop around a stick. It gave me an idea, which I tried, and it works!

A-Marlinspikednailtrapanchorloops-resized-betterfont.jpg

Basically, I positioned the ends of the loop, so that one end would be longer than the other, and I secured this adjustment, with a modified Marlinspike Hitch, keeping in mind not to make the anchor loops too long (or the lower loop will continue to slide off).

At the moment, I can't think of any advantages it has over the Bowline in a Bight, but I'm going to think on it some more.

BTW, Edgyone, Coote, chopchop, rocketbomb and HikingMano - thank you for taking an active part in this thread. It's participation like yours that makes it worthwhile to post a skills thread.

Doc

Finally got a bit of time to play with this a little more. Weather's not great here though, so I'm playing with it at home. Nothing crazy today, I just wanted to get the basic trap working. I did get it triggering this time.

Set-up:

5703befb.jpg

829bf1fd.jpg

6c8c9d87.jpg

Videos :) I wanted to include slow-motion playback of the trigger with the first two videos, but, apparently, my version of iMovie doesn't allow me to play with speeds.:rolleyes::mad:

Triggering:

[youtube]OtygTEerf98[/youtube]

Close-up of trigger:

[youtube]a9Oc2MWYFgk[/youtube]

I still need to work on sensitivity. As demonstrated in this vid, sometimes it seems a bit of tension is required to tripper the trap. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, the paracord could just be getting caught on the metal collar at the end of the pencil. I'll play around with it more.

[youtube]U2DMDVXRV38[/youtube]

Suggestions for improvement, Doc (or anyone else)?

Hey chopchop, while I was waiting for my wife (in WalMart) I was thinking about your attempt to make the anchor loops with a single loop around a stick. It gave me an idea, which I tried, and it works!

Basically, I positioned the ends of the loop, so that one end would be longer than the other, and I secured this adjustment, with a modified Marlinspike Hitch, keeping in mind not to make the anchor loops too long (or the lower loop will continue to slide off).

At the moment, I can't think of any advantages it has over the Bowline in a Bight, but I'm going to think on it some more.

Nice. I really like the look of these various toggled knots. I'm going to have to play with them and see what happens.

One advantage might be that it could be easier to untie if you've left it out for an extended period of time. Does a bowline on a bight bind under load? I don't think a marlinespike hitch will. On the downside there could be problems with the snare getting hooked on the spar if it's windy or something.

On a participation note: I've been out of town with the family for the past week and came back to find I have at least one vole living in my basement. I thought about trying a figure 4 deadfall, but I'm going to see if I can come up with something using a nail trap trigger to catch the little bugger.

Russell,

The angle between the anchor loop and the pencil is too acute. It's the same problem you had with your first attempt. Compare the two pictures, below. Also, if you're going to use a pencil, have the rubber on the upper end - it provides more friction than the wood.

Russell1.jpg

Russell2.jpg

chopchop, depending on the type of cordage you're using, but normally there wouldn't be that much load to jam the Bowline in a Bight.

That's all for the moment - I'm late meeting my wife. :(

Doc

Russell,

The angle between the anchor loop and the pencil is too acute. It's the same problem you had with your first attempt. Compare the two pictures, below. Also, if you're going to use a pencil, have the rubber on the upper end - it provides more friction than the wood.

[...]

Yes, I was paying attention to the wrong angle. For some reason, I thought the angle centered on C had to be 90. I should have reviewed your earlier critique before trying again :eek: I understand why angle ABC has to be 90 or greater, and I'll fix it next time. :thumbup:

As for the pencil, it was just something at hand. I'll be using a found stick next time.

Last edited:
Doc,
My mind has been buzzing about your drop net except with a different trigger. I think I have the trigger I want figured out, I want a treadle tripped trigger for ground feeding birds such as dove and quail, I think it will also work very well for squirrels and rabbits. It is a variation of the Mohave Treadle Snare seen on this page http://www.primitiveways.com/survival_skills3.html instead of tieing the string directly to the trigger stick I was thinking of just using a loop so that when the trap is triggered the string will come off the stick to go throught he net. If that doesn't work a y shaped stick with the loop on the leg of the y should work great. Also thinking of guying out the corners of the net so that it won't turn in the wind and should put just a bit of tension on it so it will trigger easier and drop a tad faster.

It is driving me a bit crazy because I can't work on it here, I don't have many tools here, really need my hawk, and if I did, cutting on trees would be bad JuJu and I would probably go to jail. I am not sure if my rambling has made any sense but when I get home in a couple of months I will test it out and post pics. Chris

Doc,
My mind has been buzzing about your drop net except with a different trigger. I think I have the trigger I want figured out, I want a treadle tripped trigger for ground feeding birds such as dove and quail, I think it will also work very well for squirrels and rabbits. It is a variation of the Mohave Treadle Snare seen on this page http://www.primitiveways.com/survival_skills3.html instead of tieing the string directly to the trigger stick I was thinking of just using a loop so that when the trap is triggered the string will come off the stick to go throught he net. If that doesn't work a y shaped stick with the loop on the leg of the y should work great. Also thinking of guying out the corners of the net so that it won't turn in the wind and should put just a bit of tension on it so it will trigger easier and drop a tad faster.

It is driving me a bit crazy because I can't work on it here, I don't have many tools here, really need my hawk, and if I did, cutting on trees would be bad JuJu and I would probably go to jail. I am not sure if my rambling has made any sense but when I get home in a couple of months I will test it out and post pics. Chris

Hey Chris, why don't you use the Arapuca? You don't even have to make the cage, just use an old milk crate or similar - be sure to close in the handholds though.

Doc

I've yet to try this Doc, but you sparked my intrest. My son built an L7 yesterday on a hike. This looks beyond my skill, but I'll try and give it a go.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

wow, lots of material to take in. this kicks some buttocks.

mmm, i sense contest fodder :)

Ever see one of these, Doc?.... my own invention... probably done before but I figured it out when I was 9.

IMG_0032-5.jpg

trigger.jpg

Last edited:
Ya... but have you used it as a trap trigger?

No I haven't. I didn't notice, at first, what was happening there - the pin is pulled releasing the lifting pole etc. Actually you didn't have it labeled when I first looked at it.

I think the nail trap trigger would be more sensitive, but not a bad idea, at all, especially when you're 9 years old.

Doc

No I haven't. I didn't notice, at first, what was happening there - the pin is pulled releasing the lifting pole etc. Actually you didn't have it labeled when I first looked at it.

I think the nail trap trigger would be more sensitive, but not a bad idea, at all, especially when you're 9 years old.

Doc

I agree that the nail trigger would be more sensitive and versitile... but for spring snares and lift traps, its about as easy as it gets. No tuning required and you can even do without the little stick if you pass a loop from the snare lead through the hole, instead.

trigger2.jpg

I agree that the nail trigger would be more sensitive and versitile... but for spring snares and lift traps, its about as easy as it gets. No tuning required and you can even do without the little stick if you pass a loop from the snare lead through the hole, instead.

trigger2.jpg

That's cool too. Thanks for the picture. I'd seen that before but for some reason couldn't get it. The picture clears it up.

Back