What did you rehang today?

Agent_H--I really like the shape of the top haft in your last post. Both of these hangs are going to be very clean, with minimal haft swell below the eye (the way all axes should be hung).

Thank you Old Axeman and Square_peg. I try to pay attention. :thumbsup:

It certainly doesn't hurt that the cruiser came to me sharp enough to slice tomatoes.

HB is hults bruks, the kelly of canada

Phantomknives, it's funny you put that the way you did - both of those heads came from a Canadian member in friendly trade. Fun stuff.

20170423_201934_zpsal7ss0as.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] 4 pound plumb

Nice work there Junkenstien. Nice transition from handle to eye, and the straight haft should help you make good use of the hammer poll. Good work.
It that a plumb rafting axe? Hard to be 100% from the image but it looks to me like a plumb dreadnought miners/construction axe with a slightly worn toe. But the angle may be misleading. If it is then they are a really awesome axe and you should be very proud. Just get some BLO or something on the handle asap :)
Could also be a cedar axe

yep that's a nice rafting axe you got there. hold onto that one :)
I have a 5lb one of those.
I think it was just your image making the dimensions look a little funny.
cheers

Paid $60 for the lot. Came from a local farm estate sale.
283w2a.jpg

The one on the right is a Flint Edge. It just needed the handle to be reset and wedged. Came out great.
1zczdvq.jpg

34snwuh.jpg

The one with tape had a cracked handle so the fun begins. It didn't have any makers marks.
6zvqfs.jpg

295u2p1.jpg

2wnmtdh.jpg

4kbhie.jpg

ngyd6q.jpg

The grain orientation isn't great but it's the only handle i had that had enough meat to fill the eye.
a5dzc4.jpg

Last edited:
+1 on the big ball peen hammer. What did you do to the steel, it looks really nice! Just oiled it or something else?

On day one of the hang, I used a two to one mix of two parts paint thinner, one part blo all over the handle.
On day two I recessed the hardwood wedge by hitting it with a sideways file with a wooden "baton".
Then I rub/pour straight blo on the wedge and proud part of the handle.

The proud part of the handle is "locked" over the head. The proud part of the handle swells over the wedge "locking" it in.

Back