What did you rehang today?

another Spiller. I think this is a New England pattern but I'm not sure. Seems to small overall for a CT. Took it for a spin yesterday and it works great. The handle is Bethel Handle co out of Bethel, Maine.

C_jiHf8UMAAlP3l.jpg

C_jiHf_UwAACgAQ.jpg

C_jiHf9VoAEAwVz.jpg

20170511_191513.jpg 3 1/2 lb plumb national,old broad axe has latt gage lawrence cast steel stamped on it ,got the handle with it no kerf wedged it on side and in front of the handle.6lbs 2oz sharpest I have ever gotten a piece of steel

Attachments

• 20170511_191513.jpg
    20170511_191513.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 15
Hard to have a collection of axes without the Great Divider axe, even though it’s more of a curiosity than an awesome advance of axe design.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2e1_zpskmreju6o.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2ed_zpsinhwjqul.jpg

So I had to get one. It is awesome, and it works, although I’d never use if over my regular axes.

The one I bought off the ‘bay came poorly hung, with a couple nails driven into the wedge to tight things up. Even with the nails, the head was coming loose.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2e2_zpsmtubmcfa.jpg

I used a dead-blow hammer on the bottom of the haft to get the head to seat farther down the handle. It came up pretty easily, giving me a chance to remove the nails with a cat’s paw.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2e4_zpsnxawlfdj.jpg

When I pulled the wedge, it was too small — given the size of the kerf — and didn’t go very deep. And it was a little rotten.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2e6_zpscnjjsava.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2e5_zps3fuyq2oz.jpg

I used a larger wedge and banged it home hard. When done, it was really tight and I could see that mushrooming of the haft in the portion left proud of the head. You can see the difference in the size of the new wedge, compared to the pieces of the old wedge in the photo.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2e8_zpsuce5w5rl.jpg

Then I soaked it overnight in BLO.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2eb_zps5ulkzri9.jpg

Pretty tight hang at the end, although there’s a bit of runout below the back of the head that worries me.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2ec_zpscciabwdp.jpg

great divider? some kind of double bit "knock off(?)" chopper one or the other way around, or did they make the great divider

great divider? some kind of double bit "knock off(?)" chopper one or the other way around, or did they make the great divider

There was also the Chopper1 Axe that worked the same way. It was invented and patented by Bob Kolonia back in the mid to late ‘70s. At one time, he was selling more than 2,000 axes a day through major retailers. But he closed the business in 1989. I think a new company has taken to selling them.

The Great Divider Axe seems to be made by the Warren Tool Co. of either Penn. or Ohio. I don’t know how they got around the patent issue. My axe has no patent listed on the head, nor the manufacturer. Lots of Great Divider Axes show up on eBay. The thing weighs 8 pounds, including the 36-inch haft.

This is an axe that I intended to keep and use when I put it together:

bNMJZ9b.jpg

It ended up going to someone who really likes it more than I needed another axe.

It got returned to me with a broken handle. Broken cross the grain at the thickest part of the handle. It happens sometimes.

Anyway, he also needed a boy’s axe (who doesn’t after you pick one up?).

tdx8LPg.jpg

ppkT6Jx.jpg

3x5sezy.jpg

41A8BEF1-B0DB-49ED-B2AC-27C1A195DBB7.jpg

Neopolitan?

x15JlUp.jpg

Px2TVnh.jpg

l2Rr8HK.png

Happy Mother's Day!

(Call your mom) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back