What did you rehang today?

I've taken a liking to 3 to 5 pound heads on 28 inch straight handles, so in comparison my Wetterlings forest axe (a 1 1/2 pound head on a 26 inch curved handle) just didn't feel right. I found a 20 inch straight handle that House calls a faller's axe, and it is excellent.

yOwZ1UDh.jpg

DWwKeuyh.jpg

FcuRO9Ih.jpg

tmp_27452-2017-05-15 08.23.12-1555208628.jpg I picked this Norlund hatchet up at a garage sale for $1. It had a very poorly installed hammer handle on it. I cleaned up the head on the belt grinder and made a handle out of Brazilian cherry. The wedge is African black wood . I also made the edge cover. I really like the pattern of the head.tmp_27452-2017-05-15 08.10.501972196902.jpg tmp_27452-2017-05-15 08.10.21-887353306.jpg tmp_27452-2017-05-15 08.09.461705399570.jpg

Last edited:
Not quite a rehang but I spent a little time reshaping this House Handle to be more like the old E&S in the photo above. Still needs some sanding but it's coming along.
18485450_1481931941827240_6076748122724037576_n.jpg

Last edited:
20170515_103359.jpg plumb victory and craftsman boys axe.thanks agent h ,figure I keep trying I will be half as good as you.those last two you did are beautiful

20 minute job on that old plumb,my first try at making a handle was a fail and all I had was an old pick axe handle laying around ,looks like crap but works good.

My eye is drawn to these every time I see them. The handle is coming along well - typical HH fashion, they provide plenty of extra in the shoulder.

Not quite a rehang but I spent a little time reshaping this House Handle to be more like the old E&S in the photo above. Still needs some sanding but it's coming along.
18485450_1481931941827240_6076748122724037576_n.jpg

My first attempt at making a handle! (And my first post!)

It's an Ash handle on my old Belknap Bluegrass Single bit. I made it 28" long and used the original handle as a template. After I got the bulk cut-out of the block using a band saw, I used a rasp to get it into shape. It sits a little high off the shoulder but I used it to chop down a tree and the head is still seated firmly! So I threw a little boiled linseed oil on it, and it's curing right now. It's not pretty, but it was a good learning experience on my first attempt!

Edit: I also made my wedge out of Ash, didn't have any other options available at the time. Is this ok? Or do I need to cut the wedge out and use a different type of wood?

It's an Ash handle on my old Belknap Bluegrass Single bit. I made it 28" long and used the original handle as a template. After I got the bulk cut-out of the block using a band saw, I used a rasp to get it into shape. It sits a little high off the shoulder but I used it to chop down a tree and the head is still seated firmly! So I threw a little boiled linseed oil on it, and it's curing right now. It's not pretty, but it was a good learning experience on my first attempt!

Edit: I also made my wedge out of Ash, didn't have any other options available at the time. Is this ok? Or do I need to cut the wedge out and use a different type of wood?

That looks great, a bunch of time in that! Wedge should be just fine, maybe post pics of the top.

That looks great, a bunch of time in that! Wedge should be just fine, maybe post pics of the top.
Absolutely! Might have to wait til tomorrow, I didn't take a picture of the top. Mostly out of shame, I missed a punch strike with one of the step-wedges and there's a small but unsightly divett in the top. Not integral to the structure, just ugly....

Congratulations! You did a beautiful job of this. No one makes their own handles to save on money, time or effort. Grain orientation on your piece of wood looks to be great but you might want to read up some more about grain runout before you tackle the next one.
Wedge materials seem to be a personal choice; softer ones such as traditional Yellow Poplar (which isn't a true Poplar) are springy and compressible to fill voids whereas ones of similar or equal hardness to the haft have (so it's been told) the potential to deform or crack axe eyes if driven in too hard.

Back