What did you rehang today?

Finally hung this Walters. I plan to do a WIP thread once I get it all sorted out.

This is a light, 2.6 pound, full size on a full length 36" knob end haft I carved out of a stave sent to me by forum member Quinton. I'm lovin' this thing!!! It's pretty now but it will be relegated to trail work and will get ugly soon. That's what it's designed for.
Walters%20Finished.jpg
I'm spying the grain on this hang and it looks to be 'beauty'. Your 'Hickory Holler' sponsor didn't stiff you that's for sure, and you 'read the wood right' too while setting it up.

Maybe there are a bare HANDFUL of people that could make that handle look nicer, but I think that functionally it is probably as good as it gets. It has to be in the top %95 of all handles ever made. I hesitate to ask how many hours you put into shaping it. The swell is the greatest, I have a handful of top notch unused vinatge replacement handles with the exact same shape at the swell. I believe that they are left that way for fitting, and then are meant to be cut off at the ridge to form the fawn's foot when hanging is complete.

I agree. That's how I do all mine and I think it's not until you do something the way it used to be done that you discover these kinds of little details. My guess is that the handle makers looked at the knobs they'd always been cutting off and thought, you know these are kinda neat (and potentially useful), let's leave them on some handles .... that or they just wanted to save a little time. I'm guessing that's the same way octagonal handles came into being.

4lb Michigan 6 ridges in the eye 35 inch handle,epic fail on the paint job,most comfy grip I have done yet,been trying to break the handle or chip the edge or make the head wiggle loose so I can throw it in the woods and nothing's given guess I will keep it.

Attachments

• 20171130_160326.jpg
    20171130_160326.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20171130_160527.jpg
    20171130_160527.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 36
Great all the way around! That's a nice axe. Great hang. Perfect grain. Nice modified swell. Should be a real work horse. You obviously put a lot of thought and effort into it.

Is it a stock handle that you modified? I always preach, "Abrupt swell!" It keeps the axe in your hand with minimal effort.

Really sweet.

4lb Michigan 6 ridges in the eye 35 inch handle,epic fail on the paint job,most comfy grip I have done yet,been trying to break the handle or chip the edge or make the head wiggle loose so I can throw it in the woods and nothing's given guess I will keep it.

First class job and first class piece of wood!

Yessir a National. This baby's got a few miles on it (blade wear) but the poll hasn't been abused which is nice. The handle is not original and looks to be a 'straight' that was adapted and shortened. Time span for these was 1948 to the early 70s.

O1j4UZS.jpg
i04CEVl.jpg

My first re-haft in some time. I have built up several nice ones. I'm pretty sure this is a Connecticut. Please correct me if Im wrong. Also I would love to have more info about age and anything else. It takes a amazing edge and seems lightly used. It's much thinner than a Plumb that is my next project.(the Plumb has much more wear.) This is a 32" handle from House of Handles.

Do you think I should use a longer handle for the next one? It's also (I think) a 4lb Connecticut.

O1j4UZS.jpg
i04CEVl.jpg

My first re-haft in some time. I have built up several nice ones. I'm pretty sure this is a Connecticut. Please correct me if Im wrong. Also I would love to have more info about age and anything else. It takes a amazing edge and seems lightly used. It's much thinner than a Plumb that is my next project.(the Plumb has much more wear.) This is a 32" handle from House of Handles.

Do you think I should use a longer handle for the next one? It's also (I think) a 4lb Connecticut.

Looks CT to me.
Way to go, looks great!
Other than that I am not able to offer much without delving into past threads maybe...surely someone will help, knowing more from experience and being able to shoot from the hip.
It's a great ax

Skilgannon; looks good! Convention, when it comes to heads over 3 1/2 lb, is for longer handles but if 32" is comfortable (for you) you're the ultimate judge.

Back