What did you rehang today?

I recall my father having a long round handled carborundum rod/hone. I remember seeing him use it to deburr a hole in a stainless steel sink for our kitchen. But he was an electrician by trade and may have acquired it for deburring electrical knock-outs. Maybe @plumberroy or another tradesman can tell us what that tool is called. I've often wished I had one.

Something like this.

https://www.nortonabrasives.com/en-us/crystolon-sharpening-steel

Yep, any ceramic rod will do but this one has a handle which I dig.

This is a cleaned and refinished army hatchet on original handle, I assume made by American Axe & Tool. The other is a 2.5lb Snow & Nealley on a 20" handle. Kind of a house axe in spirit. I'd prefer the handle to be thinner, but I left it. I'll let the future owner do it if they like. Both have locust wedges and standard BLO/turp treatment.

IMG_20181124_082032 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20181124_082145 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20181124_082049 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20181124_082103 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20181124_082119 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20181124_082154 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20181124_082210 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
That USGI hatchet is especially awesome, it appeals to me some for some reason when a head tapers down at the poll.
If only I didn't have a hatchet coming from another forum member, I'd make you an offer on it.
It's getting close to Christmas though so I've go other people's gifts to think about.

ab9IwpG.jpg

not a rehang, a cleaning but apparentally wards's are welded bit, you can see the 3 different shades there.

If it isn't aethetic perfection, it's still darned good and perfectly strong and functionally excellent. Better than my first cross wedge attempt, I'll say that.

As I love to say, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
Thanks JB! It’s going to be a Christmas present for my dad along with a Plumb Boy Scout felling axe and a Plumb hatchet, IF I can get them done in time AND if I can let go of the felling axe. :)

It’s similar to S Square_peg Rockaway but admittedly rougher. My dad said he bought it at a yard sale many years ago.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/plumb-rockaway-pattern-axe.1032230/

What it looked like before:

This is one, curious case: Even late models of Plumb axes had decent finish. Possibly made by Mann for Plumb, however the visible hardened line that looks like high carbon steel insert confuses me a little bit. Late Collins Commander axes look bad, but I do not recall any of those to have that line. Maybe it was outsourced to Woodings Verona (Late 90's WV axes have that beyond bad finish). Yeah, Today I am one, deeply confused dude.

Last edited:
This is one, curious case: Even late models of Plumb axes had decent finish. Possibly made by Mann for Plumb, however the visible hardened line that looks like high carbon steel insert confuses me a little bit. Late Collins Commander axes look bad, but I do not recall any of those to have that line. Maybe it was outsourced to Woodings Verona (Late 90's WV axes have that beyond bad finish). Yeah, Today I am one, deeply confused dude.

Mann used overlayed bits. Therefore, if it's really an insert, you can rule them out.

Found this one in my dad’s barn. It had permabond so does that make it a Plumb?

Awesome job on that hang.
Sure looks like perma bond and Plumb is the only ones I know that had rounded ears on that pattern. If so that Plumb would very likely be of one piece construction and the line on the bit is just the difference in the corrosion resistance of hardened steel vs unhardened. Its been neglected a little which is much better than being abused.

Mann, I think could be a possibility. And there is more going on there than I thought when I looked at it late last night. Just a real rough die and grinding. Maybe even a knock off.

891EF8FA-1121-4241-9790-C6957A32AB41.jpeg 509DFED9-48C3-4858-91BF-F2ADBA03336C.jpeg 4F0D2700-D067-44AB-A353-9EAF671B89E0.jpeg E12558B3-BB80-403B-93BC-CE7A9F84ED61.jpeg EB69531D-E494-4CD8-9A5D-C096F4133544.jpeg Rehung this West German 2.5 lb head. Not a fan of wedges, but the eye had a funny kind of bevel around the top, possibly created at forging or perhaps by a previous owner. I don’t like the cracks around the circular wedge but hope they will tighten up once I soak the eye in BLO.

The wife gave me this beautiful plumb broad hatchet for my birthday.
Hfted this 1.5 lb Gransfors head on a 24" birch handle. Carved it nice and thin. A joy to handle.
0t5TlQl.jpg

Did you carve it from a piece of wood or was it a factory birch handle (I understand some parts you can still get these, not sure where you live)? Do you have a full picture of it?

Did you carve it from a piece of wood or was it a factory birch handle (I understand some parts you can still get these, not sure where you live)? Do you have a full picture of it?

This was carved from a birch I harvested earlier this summer. I will get some better photos of all angles. Our trees grow very slowly up here due to the short growing season which makes for tight grain. One problem I emcountered was when the grain curls. The grain switches direction abruptly and only for 3/8". I am having a tough time keeping it from tearing out at the curl.

Back