1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What did you rehang today?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Irongun324, May 1, 2013.

1. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Curly grain wants high angles, close chip breakers, and realllly sharp blades, ime. Skew strokes and even across the grain can work if you're setup right. Card scrapers and a scraper plane can also be great when you're finishing.

Agent_H and Square_peg like this.
  2. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Bad mushrooming
    The eye is pushed out from excessive hammering I am assuming

Rehung, walnut and hardware replacement wedges

PLUMB
    14" @ 1 1/2lbs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cityofthesouth, A17, garry3 and 4 others like this.
  3. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    Looks like she will be a nice little user right there. Well done.

Miller '72 likes this.
  4. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Thank you sir.
    Already had this guys place in mind, fireside :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

It's worked off its cost just tonight :cool:

5. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    It likely wouldn't have been difficult tto beat those eye bulges back in at moderate heat.

Miller '72 and cityofthesouth like this.
  6. Fmont

Apr 20, 2017
    I'm about to try that with a Connie I got from JB off eBay. Worst happens I chip it, or resort to the belts to zip it off. If anyone has any tips on how much heat and force etc it'd be appreciated!

Looking forward to that hang, gonna put it on a slim 30"ish haft with a legit scroll end. Needs filed too.

Hey JB, that tongue came out super easy even with that gnarly metal wedge.

cityofthesouth and Yankee Josh like this.
  7. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I'm really getting some mileage outta this axe. Last time I'll post it, promise. I hung it today on a less than perfect link haft. Mixed sap and heart wood and runout galore. But i bet barring an over strike it'll last a long time just the same. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I find this craftsman interesting. I haven't seen very many with bevels. It cuts incredibly well. 3-3/4# on a 34-1/2".

8. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Don’t think I will ever get tired of that head.Got a council tool handle in the mail looked like that and it’s held up the summer so far.

Yankee Josh likes this.
  9. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    Looks like a winner.

A17 and Yankee Josh like this.
  10. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Whenever you move steel at less than forging heat you're doing some damage to it. But I don't think much in this case. You're not looking to change the cross section, just push it back in shape. And recall that it more than likely deformed under no heat at all.

I've done a few of these with just a propane torch and a wet rag around the bit. Remember that whatever metal is hottest moves the most. So heat one side and beat it straight. The other side being colder will hold it's form. Then cool the first side and do the second side. If you shine up the steel a little bit and heat it until you see the first sign of a straw temper color appear than you're hot enough. You really wouldn't even need the wet rag. It's just a precaution. Even only too hot to touch will do it.

I recall building a dental clinic in a strip mall back in the 1990's. About a month after it opened the strip mall burned down with the exception of the dental clinic (fire walls work). But what struck me most was seeing the aftermath of the fire the next morning. The steel roof trusses had sagged and collapsed while the glu-lam wood beams that supported them were only charred but still standing. The wood survived the fire better than the steel. Same thing happened in the World Trade Center during 9/11. The steel floor trusses sagged under the heat and failed, separating the core from the shell (but no wood in this case). That's what brought them down. And no apologies to any conspiracy theorists who believe otherwise.

11. Fmont

Apr 20, 2017
    Thanks, awesome advice!

"And no apologies to any conspiracy theorists who believe otherwise."

Amen.

Moonw and A17 like this.
  12. Moonw

Moonw

Nov 19, 2014
    Thanks. We really like to see the different approaches taken around the world, with locally-sourced materials, and using local traditions, to basically reach the same end goal.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Square_peg likes this.
  13. quinton

quinton

Nov 4, 2006
    That's a looker, JB!

Yankee Josh likes this.
  14. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Thats a beauty JB. Hardly used.
    I wonder about those TT's that are rougher ground like the Plumbs during WW2. Same time frame?

15. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    I'm not the one to say, but this head is sure fresh. Doubles scare me and I wouldn't use one personally, but it is pretty.

Agent_H and garry3 like this.
  16. Nbrackett

Nbrackett Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2015
    These for a good buddy that has two young boys in scouts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I got to TN Hickory they didn’t have any hatchet handles complete, just blanked out like the one on the left. I took these and they sanded them for me. Can’t beat them for $2.00.

[​IMG]

17. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Plenty of material to make a nice swell.

Nbrackett likes this.
  18. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    This " Sager chrmicalaxe " ( unconfirmed ) had a bit of deforming to the eye, and I carefully put it back with a 14oz ball peen hammer.
    Did it cold and it's not exactly hard at the eye so it went perfectly fine, I also hammered back some mushrooming
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Them Chemical axes have really soft bodies. That thing is just begging for a nice grind.:thumbsup: