What did you rehang today?

Two more
20200229_103427_jpg-1296015.JPG

I think a straight helve looks really good on it! I bet it would look really awesome if it were straight right down until where your lower hand grips it but have it turn slightly forward. Same direction as the bit.(obviously). It's a really neat looking little axe. Very, very cool!

I agree! Stick with a straight handle on that guy, I don't think it looks too long at all. Without holding it myself, I'd only adjust the length if the balance feels off. A kick forward at the bottom of the handle would look awesome I think also!

I rehung the registered the other day. 32" vintage Kelly haft. I got the helve with a Kelly champion connie hung on it. And I'm all but convinced it's the original haft for that Kelly.
t0YlJr9.jpg

kkIoyxu.jpg

Left the tongue proud so I wouldn't mess up the bluing.
Ng4Nn4L.jpg

UndzLB1.jpg

gUE5axX.jpg

I'm so pleased to finally have one! :thumbsup:
Now on to the next ones on the list. :D. Thanks for looking!
Z1qVcTp.jpg

I rehung the registered the other day. 32" vintage Kelly haft. I got the helve with a Kelly champion connie hung on it. And I'm all but convinced it's the original haft for that Kelly.
t0YlJr9.jpg

kkIoyxu.jpg

Ng4Nn4L.jpg

UndzLB1.jpg

gUE5axX.jpg

Z1qVcTp.jpg
Looks great man! A looker forsure! Do/did you finish that bit with a stone? Did you put a file to it also?

t0YlJr9.jpg

kkIoyxu.jpg

Ng4Nn4L.jpg

UndzLB1.jpg

gUE5axX.jpg

Z1qVcTp.jpg
WOW! Beautiful man!!! that handle is PERFECT for that head. Love it!

actually, it looks suspiciously like a handle I got with an old axe. Can you tell me, on the left side of the handle, are there any words pressed into it. maybe something like 'Genuine Hickory' ? I think that's what the one I have says on it. I'll check when I get home.

WOW! Beautiful man!!! that handle is PERFECT for that head. Love it!

actually, it looks suspiciously like a handle I got with an old axe. Can you tell me, on the left side of the handle, are there any words pressed into it. maybe something like 'Genuine Hickory' ? I think that's what the one I have says on it. I'll check when I get home.
Thanks man! I'm very pleased with how it turned out. :D. There are no words in that haft anywhere! May have been at one point but nothing now. :thumbsdown:

Looks great man! A looker forsure! Do/did you finish that bit with a stone? Did you put a file to it also?
Thank you! I used diamond stones and then 7000 grit sandpaper by hand, dry. Then I just put a micro bevel(it's a little larger than usual) on it. It'l never be used but it's definitely sharp enough for it. :D

t0YlJr9.jpg

kkIoyxu.jpg

Ng4Nn4L.jpg

UndzLB1.jpg

gUE5axX.jpg

Z1qVcTp.jpg
That’s a dandy for sure. I like the contrast of the clean blued head with the old sweaty handle. :cool:

Here's the Wards Master Quality hatchet. Hung on a Plumb tested hickory helve with a take up screw.
TeOTkM3.jpg

wCamv5W.jpg

LEeO6gK.jpg

cn654zb.jpg

oGMisP3.jpg

84xnA8T.jpg

I didn't bore the tapered hole for the take up screw large enough and while installing it, by driving it in with my impact:confused:, I broke one of the ears off the head of the screw. I'll have to cut a groove in it to remove it eventually. Here it is broken;
gMSGOsR.jpg

And after I cut the other ear off and sanded and oiled it;
YcWBsaH.jpg

Evidently these weren't made for all that long. The steel is quite good for a hatchet. Thanks for looking! :thumbsup::D
XCZPtkd.jpg

Here's the Wards Master Quality hatchet. Hung on a Plumb tested hickory helve with a take up screw.
TeOTkM3.jpg

wCamv5W.jpg

LEeO6gK.jpg

cn654zb.jpg

oGMisP3.jpg

84xnA8T.jpg

I didn't bore the tapered hole for the take up screw large enough and while installing it, by driving it in with my impact:confused:, I broke one of the ears off the head of the screw. I'll have to cut a groove in it to remove it eventually. Here it is broken;
gMSGOsR.jpg

And after I cut the other ear off and sanded and oiled it;
YcWBsaH.jpg

Evidently these weren't made for all that long. The steel is quite good for a hatchet. Thanks for looking! :thumbsup::D
XCZPtkd.jpg
Nice little bag hatchet! Looks good with all the Plumb fixin's! What's the weight of that head? I'd be getting a belt sheath for that one!

Nice little bag hatchet! Looks good with all the Plumb fixin's! What's the weight of that head? I'd be getting a belt sheath for that one!
Thank you! Normally I wouldn't polish it but I messed up while using a scotch brite pad and put a couple bright spots in it. So I figured what the heck I'll polish 'er up! It weighs about 1-1/2lb. It would fill the role adequately enough but when I picture a belt axe it doesn't have a nail slot. One of my 1-1/2lbers I made a belt sheath for. It works very well!

My turn my turn! I've been slacking lately, somehow this project got bumped to the front, did it all yesterday. 4 lb. Merit I scored for $11, the haft was basically free, had a too far gone no name head on it I got in a package deal, but I figured the haft was salvageable. Ended up at 34" OAL. I'm pleased with the finished product. Should make a nice user. Can anyone help me identify the wood of this haft? It's noticeably lighter than hickory, I think it's oak but I'm a newb in wood identification still. Thanks for the input!

I am certainly no expert on types of wood, but it reminds me of ash or oak. It has been many years since I worked in a sawmill and the one distinguishing difference that stuck out to me from those days with ash & oak grown here in southern Minnesota was ash was more white in color. Most of the oak had a slight yellow hint to it.

Back