What did you rehang today?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Irongun324, May 1, 2013.

1. TJLyon711

TJLyon711 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Oh wow those are some deep gouges! Still a great looking axe. No idea why someone would do that.

Meek1 and Yankee Josh like this.
  2. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017

AxeYankee's Bucking Video
    Just FYI for those who do not know. This is Josh's idea of having fun.
    @Yankee Josh
    I am a little bit jelly when it comes to your collection of wedge user axes. I think you are in unique position to do some semi-scientific comparison (axe bucking) of single bit wedge pattern vs high center line vs phantom bevel, maybe even vs Rockaway. You have so many axes to choose from. I am sure you can find some with identical axe head weight and length of the haft. I believe you will have a looooooooooooooooot of fun
    videotaping series of videos for that project.

I have been hunting fleabay for cheap wedge heads just to figure out the the difference where it comes to chip throwing capabilities of those heads and overall performance(stickiness, overall speed, etc ).

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  3. npace

npace

Oct 24, 2019
    I know the frustration Josh I have that keen kutter axe I’ve posted on here in the past that someone filed the mark off of it as well. I never understood why. At least they left the r at the end lol. But like their slogan the recollection of quality remains long after the logo is ground off.

Meek1, Yankee Josh and garry3 like this.
  4. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Funny you mention that. A chopping comparison!
    [​IMG]
    This is the second quaking Aspen I've taken this year just for some bucking fun. The underhand chop has been my preferred springtime activity! I've used many, many different axes. And honestly I've found the most meaningful difference to be the grind instead of the pattern. That wasn't news to me anyhow. I've long since discovered that. Wedges are generally thinner than other axes in consequence of their shape. And because of that I've found they penetrate more but get stuck more and in fact don't throw chips as well as axes with a good grind and a high center line. My nicest cutting single bit axes are a three way tie.
    My NWTCO new england pattern;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My 3-3/4lb Collins legitimus connie;
    20200508_132726.jpg
    [​IMG]

And that really nice 3-1/2lb Kelly Perfect Jersey with the crisp poll. I'll have to load a couple photos of it in another post though because I've already had to rewrite this twice and I can't do it again. But I'll post it in a more appropriate thread. Like "let's use these axes for what they were meant for". It is an interesting subject though and I know I've got more to add!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::D

5. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Got my third registered!
    [​IMG]
    And man am I happy with it! It's rare that you buy an axe off the 'bay and it exceeds your expectations. But this one did! Measures 7" long and the bit is, get this, 5-7/16"!!! Damn near a 5-1/2" wide connie! Loving it. Hung on the vintage 29" helve it came with. Could be original but I can't prove it. I custom made a yellow birch wedge for it as there was a ton of room at the front of the eye. It's a full 3/8" you are seeing at the front of the eye.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    No 78123
    [​IMG]
    It weighs 3lbs 5.5oz.
    Couldn't be happier with it! I think the satin finish looks good on it too. It came like that but I did file it to a good working edge. 22.5°. Thanks for looking guys!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Meek1

Meek1 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 11, 2019
    Man

Yankee Josh likes this.
  7. Hairy Clipper

Hairy Clipper Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Very nice Josh!

Yankee Josh likes this.
  8. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Thank you both! I really like Kelly registered axes. I hear there's no real rhyme nor reason to the numbering. I was disappointed to learn that. But these were their top 'o the line product. And they are fun to look at!
    I know I just stated that I think the numbers are meaningless but i find it interesting that the numbers of the ones I own are fairly close to each other. Especially the latter two. They are No 61618, No 78123 and No 80109. Hopefully I can fill in all the ones in between someday. ;);):D:D:D

Trailsawyer, Hairy Clipper and Meek1 like this.
  9. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    [​IMG]
    I can't be the only guy hanging axes...! But I am the only one sharing them recently I guess. I've been waiting for someone else to post. But want to share my Spiller.
    It has a larger than typical eye even for a Maine axe. And being that I'm out of ash blanks I hung it on a 30" nos S&N helve. Has a huge tongue but not much of a palm swell. Still easy to hang on to though while chopping. I filed it to 20°.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The 3 is hard to see but it's a '34.
    [​IMG]
    This was 3lbs 8.5oz when i got it. And I filed off exactly .5oz of steel! So it's now right on weight at 3-1/2lb.
    I know I've gushed plenty about what a great axe this is so I won't go off on another tangent. But seriously guys, get one if you can. You will not regret it! This steel and temper sets the bar.
    [​IMG]
    Looking forward to seeing what you all are hanging! I've got another 3 or 4 hung to share but I'm not posting another till something else posts! Have a good one all! :):):thumbsup:

10. Hairy Clipper

Feb 28, 2009
    That is a beauty Josh! I have never seen that name or style of axe as of yet here on the Southern Minnesota Prairie.

11. Meek1

Meek1 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 11, 2019
    Man, I love that axe. But I'm pretty sure you got the last one. She is a beauty!! Thanks for sharing! And thanks for the reminder, I gotta get busy!

12. stevewest

stevewest

Nov 25, 2006
    I was out in the garage last night going thru my buckets of axe heads making sure they were oiled up and not rusting. I have a bunch of nice heads and not enough time to do anything with them right now. I was hoping that with the current state of affairs, I could get some slack time and hang a few but my work as a salesman in the concrete accessories business has really picked up and time has been hard to come by. I will get a Imgur acct set up and get some pics taken when things loosen up and I can get some hung. I always love looking at everybody's work - we have some real craftsmen in this group - you all do a wonderful job.

13. npace

npace

Oct 24, 2019
    I’m in the same boat. Heads in the garage patiently waiting for me but I’ve been so busy the past few months I haven’t had time to hang any let alone spend much time on the forum. Winter seems to be when I have most time for my hangs. Glad to see your still at it josh.

14. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    All my time is still going into the new house, the yard and the vegetable garden. Hopefully I'll get some time soon. I've got a lot of axe projects waiting.

15. gaucheist

gaucheist Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 26, 2019
    I’m new to posting in this forum, but many of you have pretty much taught me everything I know about axe restoration (and axes in general). I had some time this evening and hung a Plumb I won on the bay in 2019 with a handle I won in 2018. Still needs to be cleaned up a bit and oiled, but Josh seemed lonely.
    83BFECE3-8C31-4DE0-9385-13712B750D9C.jpeg

quinton, crbnSteeladdict, A17 and 3 others like this.
  16. gaucheist

gaucheist Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 26, 2019
    A few more of the Plumb Victory after the first coat of BLO
    IMG_4231.jpg IMG_4228.jpg IMG_4225.jpg IMG_4226.jpg

17. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    I haven’t hung anything for +/- 6 months as I was hospitalized from mid January of this year till early April and I’ve just gotten mobile enough and strong enough to swing a 2-3lb sledge/axe. I’ve got a lot of axe heads to catch up on, though. I’m hoping in the next month or two I’ll be able to contribute to this thread again.

18. Hairy Clipper

Feb 28, 2009
    A17: I am glad to hear that you are doing better!

19. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    I spent some time away myself. But I noticed your absence. Now I feel badly I didn't reach out to you.
    I understand if you don't want to divulge what happened. But at the same time I'm interested in why a young guy like you would find himself in such a quandary!
    I'm glad you are on the mend! And at least you are back to swinging things again! ;):D

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Hairy Clipper, Trailsawyer and Meek1 like this.
  20. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    I won’t delve into things too deeply, but due to a self-caused accident while torching off a burn pile I suffered 3rd degree burns to 45-50% of my body, specifically my torso/arms/hands. I ultimately ended up in the burn dept of the nearest Shriners as I was (barely) under 18. I’ve undergone 4 surgeries and will probably undergo several more in the next 2-3 years but, I’ve retained all my digits/limbs. So, that’s how a young guy ends up in such a lousy situation.