1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

What did you rehang today?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Irongun324, May 1, 2013.

1. Rise AU

Rise AU

Jun 15, 2018
    It's almost more like the traditional flared tasman pattern seen in some of the axes here. Like the hytest challenger 4 1/2 lb at the bottom. Rather than the more traditional flat top but upward angled Connie's.
    [​IMG]

Meek1, cityofthesouth, garry3 and 3 others like this.
  2. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Thank you! Much appreciated! :thumbsup::). I still can't believe my luck. 2 paper labels in as many weeks! :D

Yeah E&S Connie's are a little different. I guess they were just putting their own spin on it. I now have two connies from them. To me they both scream Connecticut pattern. Profile, poll etc. Though I do see what you mean. :thumbsup:

garry3, Rise AU, Meek1 and 1 other person like this.
  3. 7x57hunter

7x57hunter

Oct 27, 2014
    Anyone know what era this Kelly is from? I haven’t really seen another “registered” like this...just the typical early registered axes

Attached Files:

4. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    I have seen a couple of those. And, while I don't know for sure I believe them to be from the mid 50's to early 60's. And believe or not, they are quite desirable. So don't sell it or trade it cheap! I know guys who have been trying to collect them. They made ravens stamped that way too. They call them a "3 line registered" or a "3 line raven".
    I'll ask a guy I know about their value and dm you. They don't do anything for me, but guys that seem to know what they are doing like them a lot. :thumbsup:

Meek1, garry3 and Hairy Clipper like this.
  5. Desert_Fox

Desert_Fox

Jun 10, 2020
    Finished up on this Keen Kutter
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. KORASI

KORASI

Apr 30, 2020
    EDIT: Forgot to mention it was a Christmas present from the in-laws since I've gotten into axes lately. It came with an old pick and an unknown, possibly blacksmith tool. Tutuapp 9Apps ShowBox

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Meek1 and Hairy Clipper like this.
  7. Desert_Fox

Desert_Fox

Jun 10, 2020
    Just finished up on this classic True Temper Flint Edge. Got it two weekends back and it was very rusted on a loose cracked handle. I cleaned it up with my orbital sander and wire wheel. Hung it on a handle that I removed from a different axe that had no markings. I liked the shape of the handle but it had a parallel crack running down. I usually just try to wood glue it then some electric taped but this one I cut it out and reshaped it a bit. I sanded the top half of the handle during it that’s why it’s two toned. The bottom half is the original finish. It’s still soaking up the BLO and I have put on a dozen thin coats.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Desert_Fox

Desert_Fox

Jun 10, 2020
    Got this Jim Dandy axe head from a flea market and the handle from an estate sale. I thought the Jim Dandy Kelly Works marking would be something special but it looks to be a basic Kelly line with some good age to it. The damn wooden wedge split while I was setting it so I made due with it. I’m down to just a couple shitty wedges. I need to stock up with some good quality ones. What pattern would this axe head be it doesn’t look like a regular Michigan to me? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth

Jan 29, 2014
    I've never really been good with all the patterns but it does still look like a regular Michigan to me. I think probably the bit was just sharpened to the point of having a sharp toe and heal maybe? If I could make a suggestion I would recommend knocking down the extra wood at the shoulder - increase flexibility around the eye.

10. Desert_Fox

Desert_Fox

Jun 10, 2020
    I’m all for suggestions and tips. I just got into axes this year. Everything I learned was from Online, YouTube, here, etc. I will have some more rehangs to post soon, I’m sitting on a nice pile of projects.

11. disduster

disduster Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Oct 18, 2007
  12. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    One of our crews dug this up. They brought it to me as a joke. I told them there was a lot of good steel left. They laughed at me. :(
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Had to file 1/4" out of the eye. It had been beaten pretty bad.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I can't wait until they get here today. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry so many pics. It was a process LOL. Shout out to Josh for all the pointers along the way. Thank you for looking.

13. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth

Jan 29, 2014
    Nice! Is that HB a new production? The pattern has changed or maybe there are two variations of the CT HB?

ETA: NM that is the pound and a quarter head. I thought I had remembered them all being called "1.75lb" heads regardless of handle length but now they are 2lbs, plus the little 1.25 pounder. I'm sure I've misremembered all of it.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  14. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth

Jan 29, 2014
    Showed them, that bad boy is back to work!

A17, Yankee Josh, Meek1 and 1 other person like this.
  15. disduster

disduster Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yup 1.25lb sorry must of mis-typed. I do believe that the Hudson Bay belt hatchet is a newer model. I like it. Even better on the longer handle. Very nimble.

16. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth

Jan 29, 2014
    No problem. I went to banging away on the keyboard when I could have just asked google. I like the looks of that little guy for sure and the finish and overall forging looks nicer too.

17. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    What a transformation! Man, that looks
    in-cred-ib-le! Good on you for taking the time to bring it back. And you filed the hell out of it too! :D. I bet she'll cut like a demon. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:. Do you have an angle gauge? Do you know what your angles are on it? Super job Andy! Love it! :):thumbsup::)

crbnSteeladdict, A17, Meek1 and 2 others like this.
  18. Triplelock

Triplelock

Jul 12, 2020
    My first ever rehang!

Turned out great, not 100% perfect but it is on there like nobody's business, and more importantly I learned quite a lot doing it. I'm *very* pleased with this axe at the total investment of $20

Now to apply BLO to it over the course of a couple years to get that really perfect finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Desert_Fox

Desert_Fox

Jun 10, 2020
    R King double bit axe. 4 pounds 10 1/2 inches with a dark walnut stained handle. One of my favorites.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  20. JLRubicon

JLRubicon

Sep 3, 2019
    Had this posted in another thread about painting the handle and thought I would bring it over here. I hung this about a month ago, I really wanted to reuse the handle. The knob on the handle was pretty bad so I gave it a good amount of BLO and after it had dried I filled it in with wood filler. I figured it would be fine after a paint job and being primarily a wall hanger(unless I need it for the zombie apocalypse). It turned out much better than I thought and I am very pleased with it. Here is how it started.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is how it ended up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]