What knife would you like to see next from CPK?

Did you guys miss out on the skeletonized necker preorder? Mine just came in today.

F0gnERJ.jpg
What are the dimensions on that?

That must have been before my time, otherwise I would have one for edc and a spare.
Just missing the cap lifter though. Easily remedied with a drill press, carbide tile bits and a diamond file set.

You're welcome. The field knife is one of my all-time favorites. Also, I should amend the number I gave you before, since as I read back through you were asking specifically about d3v field knives. Not sure of the total number of d3v units produced, but significantly less than that 400 mark I stated earlier. I wouldn't pass up a field knife in any steel at this point, though, if I was serious about locking one down. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the kind welcome!

That's a valid point re steel (I wasn't even aware that the FK had been made in other steels).
Most of my small collection consists of folders in a variety of steels (from CTS-XHP to ZDP-189) and for daily use in the city, I get by with a smaller design with a thin blade (2mm). I also have a few fixed blades in various tool and stainless steels - e.g. LT Wright, BHK, Gene Ingram and White River - but they, too are on the smaller side (no more than 3 1/2" blades).

The FK would be intended as a tough utility (or even "SHTF") knife and for camping/hiking or trips to more remote places, hence the desire for a very tough steel. Based on Nathan's video and what I have read by others, D3V seems an exceptionally good choice - even if other steels are probably more than adequate at that thickness.

I will definitely heed your good advice and consider any that become available.

Thanks again!

Forum newbie mistake. Looks like I added my reply to the quote...

Last edited:

That must have been before my time, otherwise I would have one for edc and a spare.
Just missing the cap lifter though. Easily remedied with a drill press, carbide tile bits and a diamond file set.

It's a D2 Skinner. Nathan hasn't made them available for sale for a long time.

3 5/8", hollow ground, 7 3/8 OAL. They were quite thin @ the edge but still sturdy. Not sure about this one but mine was made in 2009 and was taken to 0.018" before the edge was applied.

They were sold with wood handles, pinned in place but this one is a special example.

Forum newbie mistake. Looks like I added my reply to the quote...
Apologies. Still learning how to edit/delete posts here...

No worries man. AFAIK the FK was produced in A2, 3V and D3V. I'm not sure if there were other options. It's a great blade.

Sorry NJBillK I was having some fun at your and Adam's expense, what with the necker talk. It's possible that I may have the only knife that Nathan has sent out without scales, thus my joke on 'skeletonized necker.' It really had just arrived that day. But Justin is correct, it's a D2 Skinner. I've looked for one of these for a long time, as Nathan had stopped producing these before I started chasing his blades.

I love the EDC as is. I need thinner scales to make it a necker.
For naked neck carry, the EDC needs a hole or a divot/detente in front of the first barrel hole for Kydex to snap into. Else, there is not enough handle exposed when sheathed for a full grip when one wants to deploy the knife. Handle also need to be chamfered all around. I forgot to bring a pigtail to work today, nail gun was put to the side, spent a few hours straight driving 16d sinkers the old fashioned way. Hands were a bit numb, but I still noted the unchamfered handle of a naked EDC as uncomfortable. I may send an EDC to REK for handle chamfering, a FFG and the addition of a swedge. Not sure yet, 50/50 at this point...

For naked neck carry, the EDC needs a hole or a divot/detente in front of the first barrel hole for Kydex to snap into. Else, there is not enough handle exposed when sheathed for a full grip when one wants to deploy the knife. Handle also need to be chamfered all around. I forgot to bring a pigtail to work today, nail gun was put to the side, spent a few hours straight driving 16d sinkers the old fashioned way. Hands were a bit numb, but I still noted the unchamfered handle of a naked EDC as uncomfortable. I may send an EDC to REK for handle chamfering, a FFG and the addition of a swedge. Not sure yet, 50/50 at this point...

Very interesting .. Josh will certainly make the most of it.

Back