What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Thalestin

Thalestin

Jul 20, 2006
    Been carrying my GEK toothpick all week. I must say I am really enjoying this blade and it is getting a great Patina on it :)

I was a little worried that I may find it too large as I usually have used clip knives but I dont even notice it in my pocket. I even got myself a bandana for my pocket to keep it safe:)

2. dalee100

dalee100

Mar 15, 2008
    Hi,

I've been pretty enamored of my Schrade 108OT since I got it. But like every other Schrade I've ever owned, this one tried to make an escape from my pocket! And it almost made a clean get away!:eek:

It slipped through an un-noticed hole my pocket during an exrication yesterday afternoon. Didn't notice it missing until after we left the hospital. Went back and walked the shoulder this afternoon and found it laying on the shoulder. Frozen and a bit dirty. It's back in the pocket safe and sound.

[​IMG]

dalee

3. jnevill

jnevill

Mar 8, 2008
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Roefisher

Roefisher

Feb 20, 2005
    Regardless of whatever else I carry, I always have one of my two James Barber ERA penknives on me.

The first one was bought brand new by me a good few years ago now. I had caught my very first salmon that same day and was in the shop to get him weighed for the local club competition. I saw the knife in a counter display box and had to get it. I sold the fish immediately and went straight back to buy the knife. It was a short ownership the first time round as my mother took it off me as soon as I got home! My father claimed it and he carried it, as far as I remember, every day until he died and then I took it back again. The second was my uncles knife. Again, when he died, my cousin gave it to me as he knew I loved knives. They're a great reminder of both men so I always enjoy having one of them on me at all times.

My own one is the smaller (shown bottom in the first picture and top in the second) and it would be a simpler design with steel liners. My uncles knife would have been a fancier model with brass liners :)

Here they are,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Mark

5. neilashton

neilashton

Sep 19, 2006
    Those are lovely Mark. Great story too....

Had to pull my own ERA James Barber out after seeing your pics. Lovely really sturdy little knife his, it'll ride in my watch pocket for today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Absintheur

Absintheur Banned by Moderators Banned

Jan 31, 2008
    I got up this morning, slipped on a old and soft pair of jeans, wandered into my study and looked at the knives. Suddenly it just felt like a KaBar day, snow on the ground, geese on the river, quiet in the house. So into my front pocket along side my wallet went this KaBar CH089, the burl wood reminds me of my father's pipes and the one handed man main is so easy to open on the pocket of my jeans. The scout went into the DM Bullard belt pouch that lives on my belt, while I might not have to open a can or tighten a screw, or even punch a hole in leather it is nice to have it on my hip...yep it is a KaBar kinda day....

[​IMG]

7. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    This Remington stockman. The scales are garish. But I love the shape of the clip blade. The Camillus alloy steel holds an edge really well and of course takes that wonderfully sharp edge.

[​IMG]

8. Rick

Rick Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 1998
    Just finished reducing some large boxes to recycle bin-sized pieces with the Wharnie on my Case/Bose Norfolk. I love this knife. It cut through 200 pound test double-wall corrugated like a hot wire through bee's wax. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Coonskinner

Coonskinner

Mar 28, 2001

I got one of those in a trade the other day, and you are right.

The scales are seriously ugly, but the quality is there.

takes a wicked edge and holds it.

10. Coonskinner

Coonskinner

Mar 28, 2001
    I felt like carrying my old Camillus today, the one with the funky looking bolster pins.

[​IMG]

11. dispatch 510

dispatch 510

May 17, 2005
    Case Copperhead and a RR Peanut
    [​IMG]

12. hunterfisher808

hunterfisher808 Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Doin' that muskrat love thing today:D
    [​IMG]

13. thejamppa

thejamppa

Aug 20, 2009
    I love the handles of that Muskrat, its a real looker ^^

14. RedEdge77

RedEdge77

Jul 13, 2005
    I too have been carrying the GEC toothpick lately, actually everyday since Christmas :D. It is a great little knife and I have fallen in love with it. Mine is also developing a rapid patina compared to some other knives I've used which only adds to it's character.

15. texasflyfisher

texasflyfisher

Aug 17, 2007
    After a year of slicing BBQ meats and sausage, it's time to stop displaying the older photo of the Queen City canoe when it was new and shiny. Hot, salty, greasy meat sure puts on a good patina though I didn't capture the blues and pinks all that great. The bolsters were scuffed so I took a Scotch Brite pad and evened it out. I was slicing tiny threads off my EDC pack the other day. It was like using a razor blade. Love this knife!

[​IMG]

16. Thalestin

Thalestin

Jul 20, 2006
    Had this guy in my pocket yesterday, and will again today. Great little buddy. Carved up a spoon for fun yesterday. Great little carver and edc. Blade isnt nice and shiny anymore and will have an updated pic in a few weeks:)

[​IMG]

17. Franciscomv

Franciscomv

Feb 7, 2005
    It's really, really hot and humid today. I'm wearing pants with small pockets, so I had to go for a SAK, I just use the extra tools too often to leave it at home.

I've got a nice O1 custom Roach Belly fixed blade in my backpack just in case there's some serious cutting to be done. I guess it's kind of traditional, so here's a pic:

[​IMG]

18. ddml

ddml

Nov 4, 2009
    today i've got my brand new case canoe in cv and a fifteen year old vic spartan
    so happy together

19. Buck_Fan

Buck_Fan

Oct 14, 2008
    This was todays choice. I think it is going to be these for a while.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also had with me a tactical knife. But that is off topic here.

Bill

20. slingham

slingham

Jan 8, 2010
    Just picked up my first Case this afternoon....

[​IMG]

Stockman #0128
    6347 SS
    Amber Bone

This will be in my pocket for many days to come.