What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Rats! :mad: I included too many photos in my quotes; my apologies to those of you whose pics I'm about to remove. :(

...I broke a tendon in that finger about 10 years ago, had to have surgery, and the scar zig-zags right down my finger :eek: :thumbsup:
Ow! That sounds less than ideal, Jack! :( No lasting effects, I hope.

Happy Friday, Everyone! I'm welcoming a warm weekend right—or should I say Wright?—this morning with a Lambsfoot and iced coffee.

QS2o9frh.jpg

Have a wonderful weekend!
Another lambsfoot kinda day.

UdV68oUh.jpg
I enjoy seeing your horn lambsfoot, Greg! :cool: I've mentioned before, I think, how its "looks" seem to change depending on the lighting. Did you put a more acute edge on it than the original edge?

Quite an intriguing pair, Alan! :thumbsup:

Thanks GT! Great knives, that is a beautiful Barlow. Looks like a fun and/or frustrating project to fix those edges :) :thumbsup:

And challenge accepted regarding my photo methods :).
Thanks for the comparison photos, Tom! :cool: There are fewer differences (to me, at least) than I had thought there would be.
Thanks for the Barlow comment; I think my attempts to fix the edges would currently be quite frustrating, so I'll probably wait until my sharpening skills have developed further. :rolleyes:

I'm headed to the Adirondacks tonight, for the annual camp opening celebration weekend. Eleven family members crammed into our tiny cabin in the woods. Much wine and IPA to drink, huge amounts of grilled chicken to eat, and bags and bags of marshmallows for the kids to roast over a camp fire. The designated marshmallow stick maker for the weekend will be the Camillus C4.

81gQCoGh.jpg
Sounds like a great time, Buzz, and you sure have the right tool for it! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks GT! She is a stunner, for sure. Going to give it a few days before I put it to work and lose that pretty etch...
Today I opted to carry my Camillus Stockman or #67 Premium Stock knife (Thanks @Buzzbait ) and my 2016 Forum knife. I opted to give my new #54 a day or two to stay pristine... Though she is still with me a work, sitting pretty on my desk.
I can certainly understand your carry decisions, Dylan! :cool: A trio of beauties you've posted today! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bret Dowell...
Delightful Dowell! :thumbsup:

TGIF, great knives by everyone. I have been struggling to keep up with the forum lately. Today I was Totin' this Case Copperhead in Tru-Sharp SS. :)

35217815141_9916b0b08a_b.jpg
Epitome of elegance, Ron! :thumbsup:

Well I am about 100 pages behind at this point.. but I just spend about 30 drooling mins staring at all of your cool knives! Today I was able to check off perhaps my greatest grail hunt...a Scagle Fruitport in ivory arrived from a member I am very grateful to. This one is going straight into the rotation :)
IMG_2398_zps9zkr6zre.jpg
It is Drew. Just very thick. But, very special.View attachment 721160
Drew and Alan, your Scagels are absolutely exquisite! :eek::thumbsup::cool:

Stag Jack for the traditional carry today.
DSCN1138.jpg
Mykel, that's distinctive coloring on your stag Forum knife!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Has it always looked like that, or is that the result of letting a jigged slug crawl over it??? :D;)

Just arrived today, a 2010 Bladeforum Moose. A very SOLID and BEEFY knife. I quite like this robust knife. Thick edge on both (more on the spear) blades but after sometime she cuts very very well now:thumbsup:
Congrats on the BF Moose, Paul! Sounds like it lives up to its name! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Cutting my way with this pair by William Rodgers today :) Have a great weekend everyone :thumbsup:

Yet another fantastic lambsfoot/ pen knife pairing?? And in black and white! The tip bolsters are top-shelf! :thumbsup::thumbsup: (Jack, do you ever take requests? :rolleyes: I'm kind of longing to see the Abbeydale jack again sometime. :p)

...Wishing everyone a fine weekend! Today I'm carrying two that are special to me! I bought the 1972 Case Stockman new in 1973. I carried it as my daily knife for probably at least 25 years. I gifted it to my Father for helping me with a project in my home! After my Mother had passed in July 2009 and my Dad had advanced problems with Alzheimer's Pam and I were staying nights with him in his home. I discovered the knife tucked away in one of his many tool boxes. He had managed to break the Spey blade. I showed it to him and asked his permission to take back possession. I will never forget his response as long as I live! "Take care of that knife, my oldest son gave it to me!" He passed in December 2009. I sent the knife back to the good people at Case and they replaced the Spey and gave it a good sharpening. The Stag teardrop is a past Fathers Day gift from my Daughter! :D
15668397519_8a6a43415d_b_d.jpg

15482990244_a3d7bfc513_b_d.jpg
Thanks for sharing the touching 3-generations stories behind these gorgeous knives, Ron!! :cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Two special ones Ron. :cool::thumbsup:
Due to another trade, I have a Stagurday carry today.
Sublime stag, Bob; congrats!! :cool::thumbsup:

And now, for something completely different!
View attachment 721404 View attachment 721405
Thanks for the reminder of how cool the old Kents...are ! I dug her out and stropped the edge a little. Thanks r8shell ;)

Picture taken Dec 18 2011 :eek:

6534082719_5bb33c0712_b.jpg
Kool Kents, r8shell and Gev! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Great tip bolsters, r8shell; lovely long pull, Gev! I especially like the shields! I'm a 30+ year resident of Kent County, so I'm going to have to keep an eye out for that brand! :D

I felt like carrying a colorful pair today. Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Colorful it is, Tom! :thumbsup: Amarillo y azul, like sunshine and blue skies! :D

I really enjoyed Randy's posting where he showed us around his property so I thought maybe I would show you around where I spend almost all of my time .
First the knife content . My #1 & # 2 favorites . 73 Stag and jigged bone TEW ....

Harry
Both of your knives are knockouts, Harry! :thumbsup::thumbsup: And thanks for a tour of the grounds; beautiful! :cool:

Dandy with dandelion, Travman!! ;):cool:

My knife rotation schedule is set up so that my "big" knife and "Euro" knife of one week move to kitchen duty the following week before moving to the storage boxes for a long layoff. This week my kitchen knives were a Case SBJr (thanks, Bob) and a Wright & Son lambsfoot:
RPWknfZ.jpg

iw9iaIb.jpg

Turns out that neither of them had many cutting chores this week, though. I got a new shipment of knives in recently, one of which was this L'Ecureuil from the same company that makes Douk-Douks. This Squirrel is a BIG knife with a lot of slicing power than I tried out at almost every opportunity in the kitchen this week:
iUzlnQ4.jpg

- GT

Another lambsfoot kinda day.

UdV68oUh.jpg

Great pic my friend :) :thumbsup:

Yet another fantastic lambsfoot/ pen knife pairing?? And in black and white! The tip bolsters are top-shelf! :thumbsup::thumbsup: (Jack, do you ever take requests? :rolleyes: I'm kind of longing to see the Abbeydale jack again sometime. :p)

RPWknfZ.jpg

iw9iaIb.jpg

iUzlnQ4.jpg

Thanks GT, those are three outstanding knives there :) :thumbsup: I actually ended up carrying my Abbeydale last week. It's a bit big for trouser pocket carry, and so I usually carry it in a Max Capdebarthes belt sheath. I carry my Stan Shaw Sheepsfoot in an identical sheath, and got them mixed up! So here is my Abbeydale in the Rivelin Valley in Sheffield last week :D

I should carry it again soon, but today I have pocked these two, another A Wright Lambsfoot and a Sleeveboard Penknife by Croisdale of Leeds :) Have a great Sunday everyone :thumbsup:

Traditional folders and teapots!
That's a Case lightweight stockman hiding under the Harrod's. It's been very hot lately, and I can just run this under the faucet when it gets sticky.
619tMwS.jpg

Yesterday was a crockery-heavy day. The teapots were still there on half-off day, and I can't resist a good English teapot for $5. The blue one is Japanese, of course.

Traditional folders and teapots!
That's a Case lightweight stockman hiding under the Harrod's. It's been very hot lately, and I can just run this under the faucet when it gets sticky.
619tMwS.jpg

Yesterday was a crockery-heavy day. The teapots were still there on half-off day, and I can't resist a good English teapot for $5. The blue one is Japanese, of course.

Cool pic Jer. Opposite the old George Wostenholm Washington Works in Sheffield, there was, and still is, a pub called The Washington, where the landlady collected teapots. She had hundreds arranged on a corniche-level shelf running round both rooms of the pub :thumbsup: They're not there anymore unfortunately :(

I enjoy seeing your horn lambsfoot, Greg! :cool: I've mentioned before, I think, how its "looks" seem to change depending on the lighting. Did you put a more acute edge on it than the original edge?

My knife rotation schedule is set up so that my "big" knife and "Euro" knife of one week move to kitchen duty the following week before moving to the storage boxes for a long layoff.

Thanks GT. I think you were the first to point out how much variation there is in its looks depending on the light. It's proven to be a fun quality. And, good eyes, I did put on a more acute edge.

Thanks for more insight into your rotation system. I'm glad that it benefits your lovely lambsfoot and allows it an extra week of use.

Great pic my friend :) :thumbsup:

I actually ended up carrying my Abbeydale last week. It's a bit big for trouser pocket carry, and so I usually carry it in a Max Capdebarthes belt sheath. I carry my Stan Shaw Sheepsfoot in an identical sheath, and got them mixed up! So here is my Abbeydale in the Rivelin Valley in Sheffield last week :D

Thanks, Jack.

From my perspective, your sheath mixup is a happy occurrence. I always enjoy seeing your Abbeydale. I can't articulate what it is, but there's something special about that one.

Beautiful knives today, r8shell. I particularly like the Esquire. May I ask its length closed?

Great photo. Who doesn't like starting their day with a cup of coffee and a lovely old Schrade? :thumbsup:

Have a great Sunday/Father's day everyone.

I'm waiting for my kids and grandson to arrive for our Father's Day gathering. I'm also thinking of my own father who passed on almost 12 years ago. I've got my (I'm finally admitting it) favorite folder in my pocket. Maybe it will cut something today, maybe not.

I hope all of you dads have a wonderful day. If you have the chance to wish your dad a Happy Father's Day, I hope you do.

yF3wbLP.jpg

Thanks, Jack.

From my perspective, your sheath mixup is a happy occurrence. I always enjoy seeing your Abbeydale. I can't articulate what it is, but there's something special about that one.

Thanks a lot Greg :) :thumbsup:

I'm waiting for my kids and grandson to arrive for our Father's Day gathering. I'm also thinking of my own father who passed on almost 12 years ago. I've got my (I'm finally admitting it) favorite folder in my pocket. Maybe it will cut something today, maybe not.

I hope all of you dads have a wonderful day. If you have the chance to wish your dad a Happy Father's Day, I hope you do.

yF3wbLP.jpg

Hope you have a great day Gary, fantastic-looking pair :) :thumbsup:

Back