What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Happy Wednesday, folks. I have these two with me.

FMr3qTq.jpg

Does your stropping belt work OK with all those holes? I have an old belt I found decades ago with 3 or 4 rows of holes on the entire belt that I thought would prevent it from being an effective strop. I should try it!

I've never had a problem with it GT but a long time ago I went to a barber that had a couple of barber strops hanging off the side of his chair and he was always using them to hone his straight razor. His name was Tom and he taught me how to strop a knife properly and told me an old leather belt would work fine. I've been using this one for about 7 or 8 years.

Troubleshooting the issues in the cobra today. Turns out it’s just a pressure sender. Hopefully the fine metal is just from new motor machine work. My very trustworthy buddy says it is. Drive it. Al Warren stockman helping. Great knife. So great, I asked him to make me one at 3 7/8”.

3009A1A6-5379-4CF7-A46A-A0E6A1EE3D62.jpeg

Jack, that likeness of me in the M. Malcolm Ross advert set me aback. I thought that image had been properly destroyed; I'll never live it down.
- Stuart
:D:D:D

You post lots of interesting pairs, Todd, and always anchored by that enchanting ebony Churchill! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Today's tote
27246986067_35a804015f_h.jpg
Choice pic, FBC! :cool::thumbsup: Cool Queen stockman, but the Chuck Taylor's stood out to me. There was a time when I wore only white or black All-Stars, but I would never pay more than $10/pair, so that time was LONG ago. I still have 3 pairs in the closet I think (2 white and one LNIB Carolina Blue pair that was too good a bargain to pass up), but back then I always bought size 9 1/2 and nowadays I wear size 11! :eek: (I suspect shoe sizes have changed more over 50 years than my feet have. :rolleyes:)

Sublime knives, Dylan, that remind me of the cereal my wife sometimes eats for breakfast: Great Grains! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

... I'm going to trash this knife, when I got it I really should have had to send it back. Back then I just did not know better.
20180515_091849_zpsqv4hfhaq.jpg
Sorry to hear you've had such problems with the knife, @HFinn . :( I have a yellow CV Case slimline trapper (thanks, Tom) that's served me very well so far.

Today with my second GEC # 83 in stag, this has clip blade and is not serialized...
2vkb5e1.jpg
Another lovely stag 73, Senhor Pinto! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I like the drop point blade better than the clip point, but the stag on both seems exciting to me! ;):cool::cool:

Titusville and Sheffield in the pocket today. :)

40286011635_fda6703c01_b_d.jpg
That's a handsome couple, Ron!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Marvelous mod, @HeathH !!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm enjoying your comparison shots. :cool::thumbsup::cool:

View attachment 906285
Trying to get my vitamin C. :D
When you mentioned your cold, I wondered if you'd been eating the citrus I've seen in recent pics, or just slicing it up for photos and letting the cat eat the fruit afterward! ;):D:thumbsup:

Both pic and sig inspired another smile, Ken! :cool::cool::thumbsup::)

Packing a Parker and my ever present Case, just in case, today.

CWpGUTL.jpg

- Stuart
Thanks for telling us about your EDC Case, Stuart; sensational choice!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: And that curved Parker Barlow is quite unusual (to me, at least) and attractive! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

This on my wife's graduation day, she is getting her RN today!!
Congrats to your wife (and to you) on her major accomplishment!! :cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::)

That red bone Case is the cat's meow, Gev!! ;):cool::cool::thumbsup: Was the open blade originally a pen blade?

Added a few more to my carry for the afternoon! ;) :D :thumbsup:

View attachment 906508

View attachment 906509
From this day forward, I expect no more gentle gibes from you, Jack, over my carrying a mere baker's dozen of folders!!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::p

I like the edge on that spear, Dylan! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That is a fine stockman, as well as a stunning crimson and coal pairing! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Carried this with us to exercise and then coffee today...
Then changed out to these to get some work done this afternoon . I guess it ended up being a Two TEW's Tuesday again.

Harry
Had to be an enjoyable day for you, Harry; social stag and working bone seems a great way to go! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool:

... This one (087 from 1940-1964) is a bit larger and doesn't get the sunshine it should, but I still like its feel in hand. ...
xKhdmxg.jpg

- Stuart
High class stag stockman, Stuart! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I am woefully behind on this thread after a rough past ten days. ...
I’m carrying a GEC Calf Roper Jack this week. (I’ve always had a soft spot for a medium stockman)

View attachment 906704
I hope the next 10 days and beyond are much smoother for you, @Ratbert ! :thumbsup::):thumbsup: That's a very handsome Calf Roper stockman!! :cool::cool:

Thanks, Gary! They're real and they are spectacular!
Take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning! :D
:D:D:D

Gary, I feel that way about all knives, just some more than others.
:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

No I have not, but you've noticed it before and it's probably been in there a year now.
Btw fine blades on your end, I'm always interested to see what you're carrying.
Thanks for the reply and compliment, H&S. :) Sorry about not even remembering that steer inlay; my mind is mushier than my morning oatmeal these days! :eek::rolleyes:

5K Qs 5K Qs , I do prefer the GEC version of the medium stockman by a small margin. Aesthetically I like the more full clippoint blade of the Calf Roper compared to the more slender Case clip point. Also the blades feel tighter on the GEC. There is more blade play on the Case, nothing to complain about, but when you wiggle them back-to-back it is noticeable. The Case is a solid knife. No complaints. Well, except for the shield which looks pretty lame. Overall, I like the Case a lot. I’ll carry it when I travel. Since it cost significantly less, it won’t hurt as bad if it gets lost.

One more thing that I have noticed about the Case. Case sharpens their knives at a very sharp angle. I haven’t measured it, but it seems like about 10 degrees per side. This gives a newby a great feeling that they have received a super sharp knife, but this is probably not good for edge retention. Spyderco does the same thing with their knives.
View attachment 906745

Here it is after a recent RIT dye job with Coco brown dye.
View attachment 906755 View attachment 906756
Thanks for the review, @Travman !! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: That dye job on the Case amber bone turned out more than satisfactory IMHO! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Hard to beat the steel quality for the money you pay for a Higo' .

Haha, yes, I think you nailed it. The spey is a great little carving blade.

That's a classic! :thumbsup:

The song of the Humpback was calling me today.
27268832867_c5cf19b760_h.jpg
Thanks, FBC. :) G-10 covers on your humpback whittler? :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

W:eek:W, that's a cool marlin spike model, @Makael ! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I didn't even know Buck made one like that. :cool::cool:

While I'm beguiled by a BSA knife, that Tinker is tantalizingly terrific. And the baseball mitt slip is a real catch, too.
- Stuart
Thanks, Stuart! :) And I enjoyed what you did there with the slip! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I save all those little dessicant packs that come in vitamin and other pill bottles, and throw them in with the knives...
Great idea, Jeff! :cool::thumbsup: I have to be more vigilant about finding the little packs. My knives are in 6 Plano boxes, but only one of them has a desiccant pack so far.

Stockman of the Week for me is an Ireland Imperial linerless model (thanks, Dave):
n78vvRe.jpg

I'm backing that up with a bigger, heftier Böker stockman I won in a recent GAW (thanks, Will). It's serving as my Free Choice Knife of the Week.
NH.stock.mark.3open.jpg

Euro Knife of the Week is a John Watts ring-opener from Sheffield (thanks, Jack):
Zp8ICOz.jpg

- GT

I'm going to try to put the Churchills away & give this one some carry time.
IMG_0761-X3.jpg

Careful, it is a suitable replacement. My Churchill has resided on the dresser quite a lot since placing my 77 in my pocket.

I've been pretty much alternating between my 77 and the Churchill this week.

When you mentioned your cold, I wondered if you'd been eating the citrus I've seen in recent pics, or just slicing it up for photos and letting the cat eat the fruit afterward! ;):D:thumbsup:
I've never met a cat that liked citrus fruit, so I've had to eat it all. :)

Here's today's carries with Echo in one of her "rolling spots"
Echo and 35, 09  002.jpg

Yesterday's mail call, today's carry.

Beautiful acrylic that one Ken! The Churchill is a fine pattern too, love my Cougar Claw. Bird watching is one of my keen interests too. Cuckoo has been calling all this week, very early too. I marvel that birds come from Africa/Asia to here in the Arctic. Still no Swallows yet.

Thanks, Will

Back