What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Enjoying this new Ancient (oxymoron that it may be :oops:) Barlow today.

1ozD33z.jpg

This was at a watercress farm in Panama of all things

iwY4Pkv.jpg

Up on the hill behind my grandparents Missouri house, there was a spring. Way back when, a homesteader had walled it in with rock and mortar. An iron pipe from the spring pool filled a small hand dug pond. I presume the spring pool was their drinking water. The pool and the little outflow creek was filled with watercress. Having grown up in the Smokies of eastern Tennessee, and losing his dad in the big coal mine disaster of 1906, he and his brothers did a lot of foraging for the table. Spicy, peppery watercress was a staple and a favorite.
He pronounced it “watercrease”.

Edit: Check this out about how nutritious watercress is!
I think I'm going to have to find a source closer than Panama.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/vegetable/watercress.html

Last edited:
Up on the hill behind my grandparents Missouri house, there was a spring. Way back when, a homesteader had walled it in with rock and mortar. An iron pipe from the spring pool filled a small hand dug pond. I presume the spring pool was their drinking water. The pool and the little outflow creek was filled with watercress. Having grown up in the Smokies of eastern Tennessee, and losing his dad in the big coal mine disaster of 1906, he and his brothers did a lot of foraging for the table. Spicy, peppery watercress was a staple and a favorite.
He pronounced it “watercrease”.

Edit: Check this out about how nutritious watercress is!
I think I'm going to have to find a source closer than Panama.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/vegetable/watercress.html

They had just harvested but here's a shot of the terrace pools of watercress

Edit:
Boil pork neck bones (any kind of bouillion works too) for 30 minutes in a pot of water with 4 ounces of sliced ginger, salt and pepper to taste, add 2 bunches of cleaned watercress let boil for 5 minutes and serve.

This is a favorite and super fast Cantonese style soup that is served before dinner. I often just eat it with some cooked macaroni thrown in. Bc the watercress is still bright green and cooked only for a little while when served the soup comes alive with flavor.

Xlyl0e0.jpg

The soup is in this photo I had weird cravings and made el salvadorean pupusas, brussel sprouts and Earl grey sea salt pork chops to go with the soup.

Last edited:
Back