What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Went on a hike this morning as the weather was pretty nice for a change. I brought my mini Grip with me and my Case mini trapper. Which has veen my main carry for the last few weeks.

The weather was amazing
9vrQf9g.jpg

As the forest I hiked through was close to the North sea you still come across some signs and remnants of ww2. This is part of the Atlantic wall the Germans build during ww2.
ZVfIU6Z.jpg

Can't wait for Autumn to arrive, might be an even better combination with the orange jigged bone handle.

GEC#62 Golden Rod for Tuesday.
cZrByia.jpg

Great pattern and I think the Camel-Bone is my favourite, it's a tough choice mind as all the options are so good :cool: I see you've opted for matte look on the bolsters, I'm the opposite, every matte finish bolster I get always visits the strop, even CASE/Bose Collabs :D This would exclude that ludicrous Sausage Comb bauble GEC are successfully peddling though, I wouldn't give it house room :rolleyes:;) But, I like it shiny ;)

Thanks, Will

Last edited:
I like the chunky, stout feel of the Camel Bone GEC#62, sure it only comes in polished/glossy bolsters. It’s I who made it matte finish by hand :). for me, in a matte finish the scars and scratch marks are less visible, and we can use ‘em knives freely.

Agree that glossy shiny has it’s charm too :thumbsup:

Many Thanks,
Aryan

Great pattern and I think the Camel-Bone is my favourite, it's a tough choice mind as all the options are so good :cool: I see you've opted for matte look on the bolsters, I'm the opposite, every matte finish bolster I get always visits the strop, even CASE/Bose Collabs :D This would exclude that ludicrous Sausage Comb bauble GEC are successfully peddling though, I wouldn't give it house room :rolleyes:;) But, I like it shiny ;)

Thanks, Will

Last edited:
My Cocobolo Pocket Carver and Micarta (for Micarta Monday) 2013 O1 tool steel Bull Nose today.
Pq9p5j.jpg

That looks like a practical pairing Paul :thumbsup:

Good morning! I’ve put these in my pocket for today. A Northfield Jigged Bone #48 Improved Trapper is keeping my Wright’s Ebony large Lambsfoot company. Y’all stay safe out there! :) :thumbsup:

50345053027_e68c078c0a_o_d.jpg

Ditto Ron :) :thumbsup:

Very handsome :thumbsup:

Hope everyone's week is going OK, so far. Got my Hartshead Barlow, and a Camillus What-A-Knife, gifted to me by Barrett @btb01 , today :) :thumbsup:

6S5QoA6.jpg

Vbyp8t3.jpg

I would never say spear points are my favorite, but that long slender spear and pen could change that. Wow. On a dogleg, no less! Beautiful.

Thanks! The dogleg, pointed butt bolster, and slender spear were what piqued my interest. Happily the fit and finish were solid as well as the fine looks.

Thank you Gary, this is my 1st venture with a Saddlehorn and I'm quite impressed, very comfortable in my hand and I'm a sucker for single bladed knives, also it is a looker for sure.
Thanks for your reactions to your fine new saddle horn, Chuck. :)

I was on the fence about carrying my Buck 301 today, then I decided to go with it.

View attachment 1416997
I'm a little slow - I didn't catch your "on the fence" comment until the second time I looked at your post. :rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup: Boffo Buck big stockman, Dean!

Todays totes are a couple of tough old soldiers from both sides of the pond. :)
I've been toting these early Imperial BSA Scouts for Saturday. :)
A couple of pairs of astonishing aged aces, JJ! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

5K Qs 5K Qs ~
You walked 12 miles? I am impressed.
Thanks, Jeff. :) Probably not so impressive when you consider that the total was spread from 4:30am to 8:30 pm, so an average speed of less than 1 MPH! :eek: And I never walked more than 3 miles without stopping to do something else: a little over a mile buying groceries and putting them away; 3 miles home to office, then desk work for 30 minutes; 2 miles to the doctor, almost an hour spent sitting around there, then 2 miles back to office; after more work at desk, 3 miles from office to home; and another mile of evening chores.

Good thing this is a user. First my friend sharpened it for me because he thought it needed it (maybe so), then because it developed a patina he thought he ruined it (he didn’t), so he sanded it down. The upside, no worries about getting it scratched. HahahahahaView attachment 1417428
Quite an adventure for that knife, Alan! ;) The textured handles are very appealing! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Saturday, and the rain continues. Just a light rain, but over the past few days, it’s adding up. The trees are sighing in relief, the grass is greening up again, and the huge cracks are disappearing from the ground.
Two of my all time favorite patterns today, nothing fancy or collector worthy, but for sure User worthy.
Have a wunnerful Saturday, ok?View attachment 1417434View attachment 1417435 Bonus shots of my best friend snuggling up for some lovin while I look at BF.View attachment 1417432View attachment 1417433
I enjoyed the pics of your nice knives and your companionable canine, Jeff! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I'm carrying my Ancient bone Teardrop today.
View attachment 1417619
Very cool photo, Dean! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thank you, Gary! Your A.Wright desert ironwood Lambsfoot is an eye pleaser. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thank you Gary!!!

Great threesome for you today; the desert ironwood covers on your lamb are marvelous!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, Dean & JJ; Jack Black got some incredible ironwood for his SFO lambsfoot. :)

Thanks, GT. Scruton was an English philosopher who sadly passed away back in January. He wrote an excellent introduction to the topic of Beauty for the Oxford "Very Short Introduction" series, and he is one of the last great public intellectuals. He's probably most popular for his defense of Burkeian Conservativism (as in Edmund Burke, the great English statesman and early opponent of the French Revolution).

The Soul of the World is Scruton's defense of immaterial meaning over and against the contemporary scientific reduction of all explanations to biological necessity. It isn't a defense of religion, per se, but certainly of transcendence and the sacred.

The thing I like best about Scruton is how clearly he communicates. Even very difficult philosophical problems get treated with a clarity that makes them seem simpler than they really are when you try to think them out on your own. But he doesn't clarify in such a way as to make his own perspective seem obvious--he isn't an arrogant writer--but as one who shows much respect for the thinkers before him, even when he wishes to disagree, extend a point, or acknowledge a deficiency.
Thanks for the Scruton synopsis, Joshua. :) One of the reviews I skimmed characterized Scruton as a Christian neoplatonist, a position for which I have a lot of sympathy.

5K Qs 5K Qs Thanks GT, tractor supply is where I got mine as well. Mine has been a constant carry since I got it as well, very handy and compact tool. Your packing some great knives this week:cool::thumbsup:
Thanks, David. :)

Sunday stag for me :) Have a great day everyone :thumbsup:

8eVwqwf.jpg

uVtpioy.jpg
The Abbeydale Jack is a fitting complement to your stag HHB, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Someone went to the orchard, so guess what our church snacks were?
View attachment 1418276 I passed on the apple cider donuts.
I’m in training.:eek:

edit: Ooh! Apple patina really is a thing.
Forbidden fruit, eh!?! :D

194OT and an Imperial Cattle knife today

9pxf6en.jpg
Sweet pair, Steve; that golden cattle knife is especially inspirational!! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

I never would’ve guessed I would enjoy the 23 as much as I do.

Grand grain on the covers of both those knives, Jon! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I think the 23 would probably be too much knife for my lifestyle! :eek:;)

Beguiling bonestag Barlow, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Waiting for the rain that probably won’t reach us.
cIYBlmU.jpg
Beauteous blade and brew, Dave! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

kpeVjWo.jpg

this ole' Powderhorn has a few miles on it, and many more to go :)
I like 2-blade toothpicks, and your ebony #12 is ravishing, Duane! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Among the knives I'm carrying this week are a big and 2 little Rough Riders.
Big Knife of the Week is a RR liner lock work knife:
bigwork.mark.open.jpg

Watch Pocket Knife of the Week is this RR smooth tobacco bone canittler:
tbone.canittler.mark.main.jpg

Peanut of the Week is this RR amber jigged bone peanut:
peanut.mark.2open.wookie.jpg

- GT

Back