What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. K33ncutter

K33ncutter Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 24, 2020
    Mini Trapper and the Camillus today.
    [​IMG]

2. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Toting these two for Friday both wearing black micarta. :)
    [​IMG]

315, btb01, Whetstone39 and 27 others like this.
  3. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I added my Buck Buck flat-ground 303. I think I finally got it sharp- very hard steel.
    [​IMG]

315, Whetstone39, guy g and 26 others like this.
  4. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Eureka Jack and a Camco Barlow
    [​IMG]

315, Whetstone39, guy g and 24 others like this.
  5. Dschal

Dschal

Mar 18, 2016
    This one, mostly in the house, on the first snowy day of the season.
    [​IMG]

Whetstone39, guy g, SteveC and 28 others like this.
  6. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    D1CC1E33-F2FB-4797-A7B4-A774DB3D0545.jpeg
    Apparently we had enough to get Mahi Mahi to add to the cod and salmon for Ezra’s dinner.

7. RDaneel

RDaneel Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2000
    Thanks, Paul.:) It's an 1862 USA half dime. It had the hole in it when I bought it.

Aryan29, paulhilborn and sitflyer like this.
  8. Gevonovich

Gevonovich Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2011
  9. GuestWho101

GuestWho101 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 5, 2013
  10. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    @r8shell Er, I eat them raw and I've known others who like them too ;) But this is only when I'm in countries where they grow- Italy, France, Spain, England etc and you can get them direct from the trees in those funny spiky/furry coverings they come in:cool: There is a rather bitter epidermis on them that needs rubbing off first. Let's say an acquired taste but sweet. They are wonderful in cakes or as a purée in crèpes, roasted are top and satisfying.

Here's a nut you're certainly familiar with, Pecan. I remember seeing them for the first time and fascinated by the colour & smoothness of the shells, a great snack, then there's Pecan Pie when I'm ignoring the edicts of wise calories:D Shown here with an Ettrick which unfortunately, I've fallen out of love with. I used it last Christmas time to score open chestnuts prior to making stuffing. I don't know what type of carbon steel Wright uses but the tip didn't break- it shouldn't on a soft shelled nut, but it BENT horribly :eek: Knife looked nice and it's unusual but...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  11. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Appreciate that Jeff:cool: It's a nice pocket size too, think GEC 15 open. The handle is a mix of Birch and rings made or Reindeer antler and spacers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  12. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Well, I'm back from the mailbox run so it's time to retire the Case Sod Buster Jr. I posted earlier and break out these two heavy hitters for Halloween Eve after dark..

[​IMG]

I've got a dilly picked out for tomorrow - Halloween Day.

13. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Clip point cocobolo Pemberton [​IMG]

14. Spydergirl88

Spydergirl88 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
  15. JB in SC

JB in SC Basic Member Basic Member

May 19, 2001
    @r8shell

Italian chestnuts are quite tasty, that’s what I buy when I can find them. The American Chestnut Foundation found a stand of trees unharmed by the blight near Warm Springs Ga.

They were the kings of the southern forest. Not in my lifetime but perhaps my grandchildren will see them again.

16. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Such a lot of wonderful knives folks have been posting all week! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: I wonder if I'll ever make time to post my daily retrospectives on the knives that most catch my fancy?? I HATE the coronavirus and all the changes it has made to my life and times! :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::(:mad:

Watch Pocket Knife this week is a Case mini copperhead, IMHO perhaps the prettiest knife I own:
    minicop.mark.main.jpg

Big Knife of the Week is a Rough Rider ram's horn bone cotton sampler. I've been frequently using it for food prep this week, and it takes me some getting used to best ways to use this big-bellied blade for chopping fruit and vegetables!
    lcs.mark.V.patiopost.jpg

Miscellaneous Knife of the Week is a Case CV chestnut jigged bone muskrat. I love the knives in this series, but I wish the dye job were a little more uniform on this muskrat that I bought very early this year and haven't carried much at all:
    rat.mark.2open.glove.jpg
    Gotta love the tang stamp, though! :)
    rat.tang.jpg

- GT

17. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    If trick-or-treaters come to your door, you should give them Spam instead of candy--it's better for them.

Mayonardo, JohnDF, Jack Black and 4 others like this.
  18. mbkr

mbkr Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Stray feathers.
    Cat hmmm.gif

:eek:

sitflyer, Gevonovich and Jerbhola89 like this.
  19. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    We’re having dolphin (M.M.) too.
    Not counting fish we caught ourselves, it’s become our favorite. We bounce around a lot, though ~ haddock, cod, pollock, salmon,...as long as it’s wild caught and processed domestically, and not too spendy.
    Enjoy that seven year old. One of the best ages ever. Old enough to do things together, like play catch, fish, teach to shoot, get a first knife (of course). Young enough that they still want to hang out with you rather than friends, too young to drive.:eek::D

That reminds me of our elms. When we bought this place, a two or three hundred foot row of elms was dying from Dutch Elm Disease. All but one.
    Some accident of genetics, I suppose, but it’s 100% healthy, gotten huge, and best of all, it has seeded a whole generation of trees that seem resistant as well.
    People often wonder what could justify egging someone’s house, soaping their car windows, and covering their trees with toilet paper...

Dschal, r8shell, Will Power and 4 others like this.
  20. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    I see what you did there...:thumbsup: