What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

I added my Buck Buck flat-ground 303. I think I finally got it sharp- very hard steel.
piM0OBU.jpg

@r8shell Er, I eat them raw and I've known others who like them too ;) But this is only when I'm in countries where they grow- Italy, France, Spain, England etc and you can get them direct from the trees in those funny spiky/furry coverings they come in:cool: There is a rather bitter epidermis on them that needs rubbing off first. Let's say an acquired taste but sweet. They are wonderful in cakes or as a purée in crèpes, roasted are top and satisfying.

Here's a nut you're certainly familiar with, Pecan. I remember seeing them for the first time and fascinated by the colour & smoothness of the shells, a great snack, then there's Pecan Pie when I'm ignoring the edicts of wise calories:D Shown here with an Ettrick which unfortunately, I've fallen out of love with. I used it last Christmas time to score open chestnuts prior to making stuffing. I don't know what type of carbon steel Wright uses but the tip didn't break- it shouldn't on a soft shelled nut, but it BENT horribly :eek: Knife looked nice and it's unusual but...

FpMdCXf.jpg

Last edited:
Such a lot of wonderful knives folks have been posting all week! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: I wonder if I'll ever make time to post my daily retrospectives on the knives that most catch my fancy?? I HATE the coronavirus and all the changes it has made to my life and times! :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::(:mad:

Watch Pocket Knife this week is a Case mini copperhead, IMHO perhaps the prettiest knife I own:
minicop.mark.main.jpg

Big Knife of the Week is a Rough Rider ram's horn bone cotton sampler. I've been frequently using it for food prep this week, and it takes me some getting used to best ways to use this big-bellied blade for chopping fruit and vegetables!
lcs.mark.V.patiopost.jpg

Miscellaneous Knife of the Week is a Case CV chestnut jigged bone muskrat. I love the knives in this series, but I wish the dye job were a little more uniform on this muskrat that I bought very early this year and haven't carried much at all:
rat.mark.2open.glove.jpg
Gotta love the tang stamp, though! :)
rat.tang.jpg

- GT

Well, I'm back from the mailbox run so it's time to retire the Case Sod Buster Jr. I posted earlier and break out these two heavy hitters for Halloween Eve after dark..

ZWLyvsO.jpg

I've got a dilly picked out for tomorrow - Halloween Day.
If trick-or-treaters come to your door, you should give them Spam instead of candy--it's better for them.

View attachment 1446569
Apparently we had enough to get Mahi Mahi to add to the cod and salmon for Ezra’s dinner.
We’re having dolphin (M.M.) too.
Not counting fish we caught ourselves, it’s become our favorite. We bounce around a lot, though ~ haddock, cod, pollock, salmon,...as long as it’s wild caught and processed domestically, and not too spendy.
Enjoy that seven year old. One of the best ages ever. Old enough to do things together, like play catch, fish, teach to shoot, get a first knife (of course). Young enough that they still want to hang out with you rather than friends, too young to drive.:eek::D

@r8shell

Italian chestnuts are quite tasty, that’s what I buy when I can find them. The American Chestnut Foundation found a stand of trees unharmed by the blight near Warm Springs Ga.

They were the kings of the southern forest. Not in my lifetime but perhaps my grandchildren will see them again.
That reminds me of our elms. When we bought this place, a two or three hundred foot row of elms was dying from Dutch Elm Disease. All but one.
Some accident of genetics, I suppose, but it’s 100% healthy, gotten huge, and best of all, it has seeded a whole generation of trees that seem resistant as well.
If trick-or-treaters come to your door, you should give them Spam instead of candy--it's better for them.
People often wonder what could justify egging someone’s house, soaping their car windows, and covering their trees with toilet paper...

Back