What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

View attachment 1476240 I last saw Ron @Half/Stop on November 28, when knowing my like for old Schrades and whittlers, he surprised me by pressing this into my hand as we shook hands to say farewell.
Harry @Old Engineer introduced me to Ron and Pam at the Badger Knife Show a couple of years ago, and I remember thinking at the time how remarkable it was that this here forum, and a strong common interest had brought these two gentlemen together, with their wives, and how they’d forged such a deep friendship. Right before we parted that day, we all put our feet up and compared what we’d found knife-wise. I had to go pick up my daughter, and the four of them were heading back to Harry and Nancy’s where Harry was going to be grilling Wisconsin bratwurst. I was a bit envious.
Harry, I’m so sorry you’ve lost your good friend.

I’ll be totin the Whittler Ron gave me.
The berries are Bittersweet, which is what this knife will be for me from now on.
Y’all have a great day, think of our friends who’ve moved on, and hold your loved ones close.View attachment 1476253

A wise words, a fitting tribute and a beautiful knife to remember Ron by.

This may not be the place where this should be posted , but since it is one of the Highest Viewed threads there is , this is where I am going to post it and this will be tough for me to do .
Today I lost a very good friend to me and a good friend to many of you . His wife has asked to let you all know that @Half/Stop Ron passed away . He had open heart surgery for a Torn Aorta about 3 weeks ago and was back at home for about 2 weeks . He collapsed this afternoon and was rushed to the hospital but was not strong enough to survive . I know some of you asked about him , but he did not want it to be known as to why he wasn't on the Forums . At one point , it appeared that he was Okay a couple of weeks ago , but that eventually changed . I know for a fact that I will miss him and his phone calls .
When Ron was young and running a Paper Route he would go down to the local hardware store and buy a knife on lay-away . So you know he had been collecting for a few years . He was 66 years old . In the Louis Lamour books about the Sacketts , they talked about " A Guy Good Enough To Ride The River With " . I would have " rode the river " with Ron .

Harry
Very sad news. A great contributor to the porch. He will certainly be missed. My prayers to the family.

Firstly and foremost...dang. I’m so so saddened to hear about Ron’s passing. My prayers and thoughts go out to his family and all the members who knew him better than I.
He and I had a few interactions, and he was becoming a friend to me. I will deeply miss the opportunity that I had, but savour what had become. @Half/Stop ’s collection is incredible, and I tagged you one last time, sir, because I know you would have enjoyed these two.

D6BED13C-988A-4172-8F69-A71BDD78F706.jpeg

And to contribute some happy thoughts... @Pàdruig hooked me up with these two! I bought them both from him, and sent the Pocket Carver off to Jake Newell for some work. I can’t express my happiness to have been hooked up with two knives that are just phenomenal and will never leave my collection. Thank you, Dylan.

What a bittersweet day. I will be reminded of both of these gentlemen every time I slip these into my pockets.

RIP Ron.

This may not be the place where this should be posted , but since it is one of the Highest Viewed threads there is , this is where I am going to post it and this will be tough for me to do .
Today I lost a very good friend to me and a good friend to many of you . His wife has asked to let you all know that @Half/Stop Ron passed away . He had open heart surgery for a Torn Aorta about 3 weeks ago and was back at home for about 2 weeks . He collapsed this afternoon and was rushed to the hospital but was not strong enough to survive . I know some of you asked about him , but he did not want it to be known as to why he wasn't on the Forums . At one point , it appeared that he was Okay a couple of weeks ago , but that eventually changed . I know for a fact that I will miss him and his phone calls .
When Ron was young and running a Paper Route he would go down to the local hardware store and buy a knife on lay-away . So you know he had been collecting for a few years . He was 66 years old . In the Louis Lamour books about the Sacketts , they talked about " A Guy Good Enough To Ride The River With " . I would have " rode the river " with Ron .

Harry

This is such sad news. I never met Ron in person, but we had forum comments to/from each other here over the years. He was always a friendly and kind person. And really had a love of knives.

My condolences to his family and to all here who knew him personally.

RIP, Ron!

Absolutely love that barlow, beautiful covers and CV steel! What a great knife, not to take anything away from the stockman, but that Barlow is a show stopper.

Thank you. It does look like CV in that photo, but it's stainless which does not take away from its beauty.

I carried this BladeForums knife for Stagurday. This photo was taken the day I got it, I think.

View attachment 1476269

Splendid idea, think I will join you. OH
Buck_301_-_2018_Blade_Forums_Club_Knife__2_(1).jpg

Harry
Sad news to hear. I didn't know him or really have any interactions with him here that I can think of. Even in my short time here, certain names have become familiar including Half/Stop. Someone earlier (Will Power, I think) mentioned that Ron appreciated Case knives, so I slipped my peanut back in my watch pocket to pay my respects. It also happens to be one of the few knives I have that has half stops.
It's a recycled photo, but these are in my pocket today.
IzYwu30.jpg

Ron’s passing is terrible news. He was always so kind to me. His messages were always a bright light even when he was struggling. Just a good friend. My sincerest condolences to his wife Pam and to his family and those he touched. His signature line summed up best what we feel here and what kind of person Ron was and will always be to us.

There is a thing that we find on The Porch that goes much deeper than the depths of our pockets. It's called friendship! R.I.P. my friend

We're house-bound today so I'm desk totin this Case Sway Back Jack with Stag covers..

bQLmFyc.jpg

Edited to say:

Upon hearing of Ron's passing, I've replaced the Sway Back Jack with a Rosewood "Big-un" to be carried through the upcoming Christmas Week.

MqPYulc.jpg

Last edited:

Harry
Very sad news. I always enjoyed seeing Ron's prolific posts. My thoughts are with you Harry and with his family at this time. RIP Ron.

Back