What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Finally got around to epoxying my brass Daily Customs scales onto my new SAK MiniChamp. Now I just need a brass Otter (or brass Shuffler, Mike ;)) to round out my all brass lineup.

PXL-20201219-190606239-PORTRAIT-01-COVER-2.jpg

Christmas Bird Count today with below zero temperatures! I’m trying to warm up.
7yMsWor.jpg

Edit: I just caught up and am so sorry to hear the news of Ron's passing. This is awful. He was such a wonderful presence here on the Porch, and we will miss him terribly. My condolences to Ron's family and to Harry and many other friends here.

Last edited:
Case Heavy Jack and a Utica Cattleman today

mAnxAqf.jpg

Your Utica Cattleman’s knife is very nice indeed!

As you likely know, big fan of the Buck Forum Knife, it merits a lot of carry and use. Mine is a nice one, but got to say I have envy over that one, well smart :cool:

I maybe need another one.....;)

I appreciate your compliment and hope you can find one like it if you look - this one surprised me in how I took to it. OH

This may not be the place where this should be posted , but since it is one of the Highest Viewed threads there is , this is where I am going to post it and this will be tough for me to do .
Today I lost a very good friend to me and a good friend to many of you . His wife has asked to let you all know that @Half/Stop Ron passed away . He had open heart surgery for a Torn Aorta about 3 weeks ago and was back at home for about 2 weeks . He collapsed this afternoon and was rushed to the hospital but was not strong enough to survive . I know some of you asked about him , but he did not want it to be known as to why he wasn't on the Forums . At one point , it appeared that he was Okay a couple of weeks ago , but that eventually changed . I know for a fact that I will miss him and his phone calls .
When Ron was young and running a Paper Route he would go down to the local hardware store and buy a knife on lay-away . So you know he had been collecting for a few years . He was 66 years old . In the Louis Lamour books about the Sacketts , they talked about " A Guy Good Enough To Ride The River With " . I would have " rode the river " with Ron .

Harry
My heartfelt condolences to Ron's(Half/Stop) family and friends. I will miss his posts here.
R.I.P Ron @Half/Stop

This may not be the place where this should be posted , but since it is one of the Highest Viewed threads there is , this is where I am going to post it and this will be tough for me to do .
Today I lost a very good friend to me and a good friend to many of you . His wife has asked to let you all know that @Half/Stop Ron passed away . He had open heart surgery for a Torn Aorta about 3 weeks ago and was back at home for about 2 weeks . He collapsed this afternoon and was rushed to the hospital but was not strong enough to survive . I know some of you asked about him , but he did not want it to be known as to why he wasn't on the Forums . At one point , it appeared that he was Okay a couple of weeks ago , but that eventually changed . I know for a fact that I will miss him and his phone calls .
When Ron was young and running a Paper Route he would go down to the local hardware store and buy a knife on lay-away . So you know he had been collecting for a few years . He was 66 years old . In the Louis Lamour books about the Sacketts , they talked about " A Guy Good Enough To Ride The River With " . I would have " rode the river " with Ron .

Harry

Thank you for letting us know, Harry. I am pretty crushed by this news - Ron was one of my favorite people here. Always friendly, gracious, and he appreciated a high quality knife. I'm going to miss him terribly - my condolences to his family and friends.

A bit of the joy I have had in carrying these today has been sucked out.

006XORp.jpg

That’s a nice one! Yeah the “bigfish” thing is sort of like when a large man is nicknamed “Tiny” because anytime we go fishing I always seem to catch the smallest fish. :rolleyes: That, and the fact that bluegills are probably my favorite fish to catch, especially with a fly rod. Around here our season is over, looks like it’s still going strong there!
The fishing season is always “on” in Florida :p:)

Thank you very much, Jack!!!

Beautiful shot of your awesome horn covered lamb and that pocket cleaver is quite a looker, as well; excellent Friday pairing!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

For today I kept the precise slicing Pocket Carver and added a black covered Pioneer X. :)

Thank you very much JJ, that's a highly practical pairing :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack.
That's a neat little chopper. I'll bet it could do a job mincing garlic. :)

Thank you Rachel, I might bisect a "sausage sammich" later, in honour of our friend Ron :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 1476240 I last saw Ron @Half/Stop on November 28, when knowing my like for old Schrades and whittlers, he surprised me by pressing this into my hand as we shook hands to say farewell.
Harry @Old Engineer introduced me to Ron and Pam at the Badger Knife Show a couple of years ago, and I remember thinking at the time how remarkable it was that this here forum, and a strong common interest had brought these two gentlemen together, with their wives, and how they’d forged such a deep friendship. Right before we parted that day, we all put our feet up and compared what we’d found knife-wise. I had to go pick up my daughter, and the four of them were heading back to Harry and Nancy’s where Harry was going to be grilling Wisconsin bratwurst. I was a bit envious.
Harry, I’m so sorry you’ve lost your good friend.

I’ll be totin the Whittler Ron gave me.
The berries are Bittersweet, which is what this knife will be for me from now on.
Y’all have a great day, think of our friends who’ve moved on, and hold your loved ones close.View attachment 1476253

Lovely post Jeff :thumbsup:

This news has shocked and saddened me.
Ron was such a good guy and he will be missed by so many.
In Ron's honor, I will carry my #73... We both had a love of Orange Osage.
Rest in Peace my (forum) friend...

Very appropriate John :thumbsup:

My condolences to Ron's family and many friends.
kTPP5XX.jpg

Beautiful photo Rachel :) :thumbsup:

Toting these two Cases today. :)

Both gorgeous JJ :thumbsup:

Thank you for letting us know, Harry. I am pretty crushed by this news - Ron was one of my favorite people here. Always friendly, gracious, and he appreciated a high quality knife. I'm going to miss him terribly - my condolences to his family and friends.

A bit of the joy I have had in carrying these today has been sucked out.

006XORp.jpg

Well said Dylan :thumbsup:

Carrying my Ashley's Choice Lambsfoot today, another favourite of Ron's. Have a rerlaxing and restful Sunday everyone :thumbsup:

MWJs1gO.jpg

Back