What was the spyderco that got you hooked?

My all stainless Delica 4 not only turned me into a Spyderco fan it pulled me out of a traditional folders only mind set. Often carry one of each now and feel they compliment each other, not redundant at all.

Jim

I first saw a Spyderco (a Delica) in the 1997(?) movie Anaconda. Then not long after, I got a catalog that just came in the mail from a knife dealer in Washington state that showed several knife brands. I recognized the Delica as what I saw in the movie. Later that year, I got my first Spydie, a PE Delica in AUS-8. I don't know if that's considered a Delica 1 or 2.

Before that catalog came (I never asked for it), I'd been completely unaware of knife companies like Spyderco, Benchmade, Kershaw, etc. Although I never actually ordered from that dealer, that catalog got me back into knives, for better or worse. For the 10+ years prior, my only EDC had been a SAK Spartan.

Jim

My first quality knife was a fuly serrated Endura, purchased about 20 years ago when I finished high school. Which was the first spyderco to really get my juices flowing? Hmmmm, not sure, but could well have been the original Temperance or Perrin Street Bowie. First folder? - perhaps the original Manix.

I keep getting re-hooked to Spyderco with every knife purchase I make. I have other Spyderco's (Pacific Salt, Centofante, Endura, smallfly, warrior, street bowie, civilian, and translucent blue Manix) but I when Bought and held the damascus endura with orange jigged bone I was hooked. Bought a szabo, was hooked again. Got the PM2, I absolutely love it. I have to buy the Domino and the Southard though as I love flippers

Plain Jane black/satin PM2 was my first and the one that hooked me. Up until that point, I thought they were butt-ugly and I wanted nothing to do with them. Hanging around here too much tilted me toward pulling the trigger on the PM2 and it's been all downhill from there. I think I have about 25 various Spydie models now, in less than 2 years mind you.

NOT MY IMAGE

This is the Spydie that got me hooked. It was in 2005 and was a Spyderco Scorpius in plain edge (all stainless).

szWFzLx.jpg

For me, it was something of a progression. My first Spyderco, a Peter Herbst, convinced me of the value of the Spyderhole, but it was wrong handed and about as ergonomic as a stick. The Native convinced me the midlock was the best lock for me, and that the 50/50 choil was a very desirable feature, but the gimmick grind, partially occluded Spyderhole, and less than totally comfortable handle left room for improvement. The Calypso Jr, came closer to the mark, its only annoyances being the silly beveled spine and the sharp transition between the thumb ramp and the rest of the spine. Then the Stretch came along, perfect ergos, great blade, only the SS/Kraton handle as a downer. CF version cured that, but was still a bit too thin. FRN version fixed that.

Of course, the one that got me hooked the worst was the Kiwi. Perhaps because I was never one for rings, bracelets, chains, or watches, it became my perfect little platform for highly functional jewelry.

Paul, so what is your preferred carry Stretch? I'm interested because I know you've loved the Strech for so long. What's funny......to me at least, is that the older I get the more I use and pocket the Stretch. :)

The "2" that got me hooked were the Endura & the Delica.! Still got me hooked to this day as I believe I have more of those 2 than any other Knife period.!! So many Colors and different Steels that at times I think about calling myself Spydie or at least making it my middle name.!! lol ****SPYDERCO****

Endura4 FFG was my first Spyderco. I liked it, but wanted something a bit smaller for EDC. Picked up a Delica4 FFG a bit after, and then I was hooked. It remains one of my favorite Spydies, behind only the Caly3 CF.

Back