What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Here’s my new Tombstone Marauder V2 ready to glue up tomorrow. I started the sculpted guard on Dec 15 and been working on it every day possible since. Every process seemed to take a long time.

52100 with blued steel guard and pommel and tri color G10 spacers between the bocote and leather. The antler pith was removed and replaced with a slotted dowel. Handle elements are reinforced with 1/8” threaded rod. Stainless pins in the blued pommel really stand out. The edge is near sharp already and so is the swedge! Time for some leatherwork.wip1.JPG wip2.JPG

Here’s my new Tombstone Marauder V2 ready to glue up tomorrow. I started the sculpted guard on Dec 15 and been working on it every day possible since. Every process seemed to take a long time.

52100 with blued steel guard and pommel and tri color G10 spacers between the bocote and leather. The antler pith was removed and replaced with a slotted dowel. Handle elements are reinforced with 1/8” threaded rod. Stainless pins in the blued pommel really stand out. The edge is near sharp already and so is the swedge! Time for some leatherwork.View attachment 1257382 View attachment 1257383
Gorgeous knife! It's going to make someone a very happy customer.

52100 with blued steel guard and pommel and tri color G10 spacers between the bocote and leather. The antler pith was removed and replaced with a slotted dowel. Handle elements are reinforced with 1/8” threaded rod. Stainless pins in the blued pommel really stand out. The edge is near sharp already and so is the swedge! Time for some leatherwork.View attachment 1257382 View attachment 1257383
I really like the shape of that knife. Classic!

Here are a few finished the last couple weeks. A little utility knife (Christmas present) with 52100 and Bethlehem olive wood handle,and a couple 26-C3 Nakiri's one with Rosewood and one with Koa. Maybe for the new year I will get better at photography.
Happy New year!!
vxO1Porm.jpg
VSaqcvom.jpg

Inwmjihm.jpg
UmrYBM8m.jpg

AfPjynIm.jpg
gX8kDwUm.jpg

Call for wood experts. This is a piece of a 120 year old oak, still fresh. What is the curly part? I hope it extends in the wood inside. Tomorrow I will cut it up, seal the ends and get rid of shreaded ends.
8BCKsGn.jpg

Call for wood experts. This is a piece of a 120 year old oak, still fresh. What is the curly part? I hope it extends in the wood inside. Tomorrow I will cut it up, seal the ends and get rid of shreaded ends.
8BCKsGn.jpg
Usually called spaghetti oak. It looks good and takes dyes really well.

Aw
Usually called spaghetti oak. It looks good and takes dyes really well.
Awesome, thanks. I will ask him if the trunk has anymore spaghetti in it, hopefully al dente. It was a huge tree. So, dry, dye, stabilize, fill gaps with (colored) epoxy sounds like a good plan?

Cutting it in to larger blocks will make it dry faster. But there are people who know a lot more about drying wood then me.

Cutting it in to larger blocks will make it dry faster. But there are people who know a lot more about drying wood then me.
Plan is to cut in 5 cm thick blocks and dry first in my basement workshop which is quite moist. Germany is not fat from Austria so if I manage to succeed in the above plan you can count with a block or two :)

How solid is that wood? That looks so weird - like it wouldn't even hold together if cut into blocks!

Aw

Awesome, thanks. I will ask him if the trunk has anymore spaghetti in it, hopefully al dente. It was a huge tree. So, dry, dye, stabilize, fill gaps with (colored) epoxy sounds like a
Plan is to cut in 5 cm thick blocks and dry first in my basement workshop which is quite moist. Germany is not fat from Austria so if I manage to succeed in the above plan you can count with a block or two :)

I’d go bigger on the blocks initially. Spaghetti moves around a lot while drying.

If it's anything like oak burr it would need stabilizing to fill in the holes and pores,yours looks even more holey than burr
Should look great tho

Finally a knife making weekend. Remember that big santoku? It got smaller after the tang broke. I can't believe I finally glued it up. I am bit pissed about missing the 3 hole, but it is what it is. Good day today :)
8KkZ6AK.jpg

xrI20Ig.jpg

Progress on the handle. This is 220 grit, I left it soaking in DIY daenish oil. Can the 1/3 of petroleum damage the epoxy bond? I was planning to wet sand tomorrow with 320, leave to dry and then give it another 320 and wax/polish as finish. Any steps you would do differently?
dsgiV7q.jpg

Back