What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

I just finished this one .....it is light as a feather. And now I see that I have no more danish oil ????
ziUEpI3.jpg

mC2XKoe.jpg

TZDyFvn.jpg

Shellac? If so, not waterproof.
Many finishes used in the furniture industry.
Have a picture of the container?

Shellac? If so, not waterproof.
Many finishes used in the furniture industry.
Have a picture of the container?
No , it is not Shellac. Ok , I used google translate and it is wood stain ...I have no oil in this moment so what you see is just color of wood stain

hey, I have a Pro Tip for everyone;

if you're gonna take the time to finish a knife to 400 grit before heat treating, don't be a dumbass and 'clean it up' with a 180 grit belt after heat treating.

Got a small pairing knife in 1.4034 at 60-61 HRC (1.2 mm stock thickness) almost done. These grind very fast and I will be doing more of these. Finish is 400 grit and then no grit cork belt with orange compound. This one has a cocobolo handle, the other one got padauk that is soaking in oil cut with terpentin over night.
MOu18pT.jpg

1YRPx05.jpg

And now for something completely different. I've been wondering what to do with deformed elk tines and came up with a coat rack to hang by the door. In this case the left one has a weird curve at the tip and the right one's long axis of the oblong base is horizontal instead of vertical. Nothing's glued or finished yet. The tines are secured with 3/8" fluted dowels. My wife doesn't think it's totally stupid either, so that helps.

Coat rack.JPG

And now for something completely different. I've been wondering what to do with deformed elk tines and came up with a coat rack to hang by the door. In this case the left one has a weird curve at the tip and the right one's long axis of the oblong base is horizontal instead of vertical. Nothing's glued or finished yet. The tines are secured with 3/8" fluted dowels. My wife doesn't think it's totally stupid either, so that helps.

View attachment 1607046
Last week i make this for my daughter , she liked it :)

bEgoVLZ.jpg

ObhvDMX.jpg

well, it was a little touch and go yesterday- this chef had some weird kinks and was a little tweaked out after austenitizing, but partly straightened out in the freezer. Clamping it straight for the first temper seemed to do the trick. The edge had a bit of a wow in it, so I clamped that straight with my file guide during the temper and it's within range of disappearing almost entirely now during the final finish. Hoping to have the blade finished to maybe 400, but I've been known to get carried away so we'll just say 400 grits minimum. If I'm extra successful, I'll be going into tomorrow with the handle installed! Wish me luck :)
FgJ9R0F.jpg

Shined this thing up a little bit, then gave it a quick dip in zinc phosphate ( parkerising solution) and that's the way I'll send it to Peter's! When I get it back I'll only need to buff it! That's the beauty of Peter's,clean up is easy! And by the way I did five of this pattern because it feels so good in the hand ! Three in the 52100/410 and two in the Hitachi blue paper San Mai! I ordered some Tasmanian blackwood for the handle on this one! I'm so happy! IMG_20210725_175433434~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210725_175433434~2.jpg
    IMG_20210725_175433434~2.jpg
    623 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210725_175435208~2.jpg
    IMG_20210725_175435208~2.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 5
Back