What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

who here doesn't love hand sanding?
bFDCneX.jpg

I made a machine to make the task less tiresome.
Then started using Boride soft stones (CS-M) and the time sanding was lowered even more...

Pablo

I would definitely end up hurting myself if I had something like that in my shop.

Picked up some new material at the scrapyard while recycling some other junk.

IMG_20210728_141213-small.jpg

Was curious how big it was, so I busted out the big guns to measure it:

IMG_20210802_193101-small.jpg

Just kidding, it's not big enough to need that - we'll just throw the mic on it:

IMG_20210802_193825-small.jpg

28.250"! :D

The late S and I used to sport-shop at the Pratt & Whitney Surplus Store before they discovered the 'bay. Can you tell? 😁

(img host down again, repair pending)

Last edited:
got that chef pretty close to finish sanded today, and took the handle for a quick first pass on the grinder
qpobOkr.jpg

ezZRX66.jpg

note to self; aka; I'll not make that mistake again- finish out the profile of the handle to almost finished grit before shaping it, dumbass.

started messing around with this hammer;
hCxBq1Z.jpg

ZVgvEAK.jpg

rxZF1Il.jpg

6xopjcD.jpg

"finish out the profile of the handle to almost finished grit before shaping it"

Yep, and then don't touch the profile again.

fortunately, there was just enough flat plane action going on that I was able to get the handle profile cleaned up enough for hand finishing. Yay.
second pass on the grinder;
O2xUrwy.jpg

FBSDGuO.jpg

still messin around with my hammer. Lol.
U7apwXo.jpg

Q2cqQ6z.jpg

Do all those glue joints weaken material making the scale less durable?
I was thinking of doing something similar and drilling holes for gluing pins in place to more solidly connect the pieces.
You’ve got to scuff.....scuff again......clean very good.....2-3 times. Then I always glue up with a newer bottle of G~Flex. Use new belts, keep cool, and go slow not letting the metals heat up.

Ive done 7-8 handles like this. Had 1 knife returned because of a separation on one bolster. The rest have held up nicely. Anytime you do multiple pieces you up the problems that could arise. Many times I’ve caught a separation during the shaping process and have either had to take a few steps back and repair or start over.

I use 1-2 ounce pig skin glove lining from Tandy Leather.
Not sure what your getting at......I always make my sheaths to fit the knife not the other way around. A freshly sanded knife should not be pushed in and out of a sheath until the knife is completely done and ready to ship. I COMPLETELY finish a knife except for sharpening BEFORE I make the sheath. You don’t wanna be adding remnants from the build process to your sheath.

Back