Who The Heck Are Ya?

get a piece of rr track or a big sledge hammer head for an anvil, if all you can find is cast iron anvils. expect to pay at least $100 for a good anvil. dont get a harbor freight one the tool steel face isnt hardened very well.

So cast iron is definetly not the way to go? I actually hadn't gotten that impression exactly. Been lurking about for a while and just hadn't picked up on it.
Just to be real clear then, this wouldn't be a good deal, it is cast iron.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41369&item=8155689155&rd=1
or this, which says cast steel
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13869&item=6139312437&rd=1
or this one, much more affordable to start out, promise it'll be the last one I bug ya about
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13869&item=6140287882&rd=1
Thanks ahead of time for the reply and Thanks for the tip
Jon :D

hi, i am dave meier aka 334 dave the 334 is a number that is used as too many dave's around and is in my phone no. i am a wantabee knife maker and have made about 3 and still have one. i collect buck knives and they are the only brand i know much about. i like to mess with metal and want to learn to make a good knife but know of no one around to get a lesson or two from but thinking of asking this one guy in md. if he could give a free lesson or two if i bring a 6 pack with me... ;)
i like to chat and am retired now so my hardest job is staying off the wife's nerves! i have done schrimshaw for a long time (folk art style)...
most respectfuly yours
dave meier in west virginia

My name is Luke Smart and I live in Spokane Wa. Made my first knife when I was 14 and haven't quit since. I'm a fulltime machinist and also run a cnc lathe and cnc mill. I think I will always be a part time knifemaker as I love my day job too much. I have a lovely wife (Chari) and 3 chidren. Truely blessed I am. :) I mostly lurk quietly here on the forums as I am somewhat shy( although my daughter would disagree ;) ). I love forging cable damascus, 5160 and O1. Oh yeh, and I love brass and bronze on my knives. :D :D Well there ya have it. This is me in a nut shell :) :) :) Luke

I am Riley White, like it says. I have been reading the forum off and on for a year now. I have been making knives as a hobby for seven to eight years now. I made my first one when I was 12 or 13. It was a "Branded" knife/bowie from the TV show. Life has brought me through several types of carriers (From law enforcement to welding). I have been teaching HS Social Studies, PE and Shop (It's a small school) since 1993. Now I look forward to the afternoons and weekends to grind or hammer on something. I'm not sure weather I'm grinding to relive stress or whatever but It's great therapy. My favorite kind of knife to make is one of the Cow boy/Buck skinner eras.

Most of you guys live in the East where everyone is more likely to be close to another maker. I live in NM almost in the center (a little to the east of it) of the state. It is 100 miles to any place larger than 20,000. If anyone feels like visiting while coming through the state I would be glad to see you.

Hello, my name is Frank Eaton, I have been making knives for about 1 year. I have another full time job that occupies alot of my time, but retirement is just around the corner and I hope to do more then. I have been on the forum for several months and I think it is great. It is a great tool for us who do not have the benefit of great teachers close to us. Thanks

Hi, my name is Fred Frontino, but I have been going by FredlyFX for many years on the web. I am a hobby blacksmith and have made a couple of knives, mostly out of rail road spikes. (Yeah, I know they are junk, but they look cool.) I have a lot of hobbies including medieval recreation, shooting, building computers, and gaming.

I work at a community college training disabled students how to use adaptive computer hardware & software. It's very rewarding, but can be very frustrating also. On those days it's nice to come home and pound hot steel. Makes all the frustrations go away.

I guess that's it. If you want to see my shop or more about me check out my web site at http://fredlyfx.com

Army Ranger said:
Hello, my name is Frank Eaton, I have been making knives for about 1 year. I have another full time job that occupies alot of my time, but retirement is just around the corner and I hope to do more then. I have been on the forum for several months and I think it is great. It is a great tool for us who do not have the benefit of great teachers close to us. Thanks

:confused: what!
you have many great teachers right here as close as your Computer :)

edited to add :) the biggest thing here you don't adapted to a style of one guy or gal if you have a tendency to, and you have choices to pick from, unlike one mentor

Hi everyone,

My name is Dwight Hazelett. I worked for Randall Made knives for thirteen years and have had my own shop also but decided to try something different a few years back and got out of knifemaking and got rid of most of my equipment. :( After trying a few different things I have come to the conclusion that I am a better knifemaker than anything else I have ever done. Now all I gotta do is put another shop together.

I have read a few of the post and especially liked the one on the trials and satisfactions of being a knifemaker. For me it seems that making the knives is the easy part, finding people who want to buy them ain't always easy.

BTW, I am from Ocoee Florida so if there are any knifemakers in Central Florida who need a hand or have any equipment for sale or just want to get together for a cold beer give me a shout or an email or whatever.

Dwight Hazelett

sharpcracker said:
Hi everyone,

My name is Dwight Hazelett. I worked for Randall Made knives for thirteen years and have had my own shop also but decided to try something different a few years back and got out of knifemaking and got rid of most of my equipment. :( After trying a few different things I have come to the conclusion that I am a better knifemaker than anything else I have ever done. Now all I gotta do is put another shop together.

I have read a few of the post and especially liked the one on the trials and satisfactions of being a knifemaker. For me it seems that making the knives is the easy part, finding people who want to buy them ain't always easy.

BTW, I am from Ocoee Florida so if there are any knifemakers in Central Florida who need a hand or have any equipment for sale or just want to get together for a cold beer give me a shout or an email or whatever.

Dwight Hazelett

hi Dwight
welcome back to the knife world..
yes the selling part can be a stinker. but 13 years for Randall I'd think you could put that bit of info to use for yourself.....it's a plus for you to start again with alone.. welcome.. :)

I tend to overlook this thread since it's in plain view :)

Welcome to all you makers that have came on since the last time I looked. I think it's great that you either post with your real name or make it easy to find. Using it will build familiarity between you, us, and your potential customers.

Feel free to join in any of the discussions with questions or input. We all learn from each other.

All I ask is that you put your brain in gear before you let your fingers do the walking :)

Enjoy.

Dan Gray said:
:confused: what!
you have many great teachers right here as close as your Computer :)

Dan,

That is what I was pointing out, the Forum is a great tool because of all of the knifemakers at your finger tips...like yourself.

Dan,

That is what I was pointing out, the Forum is a great tool because of all of the knifemakers at your finger tips...like yourself.

That's burnt finger tips :D :D

Kit I didn't meen too?? :confused: I don't think so anyway :) sure I did :D
I think :p

Howdie, My name is Shane Ivie. Skivie is what everyone tends to call me. Im a purchasing manager for a large Commercial Printing co. Im a part time Knifemaker even though I tend to spend as much time doing that as my real job. Fairly new to Blade forums but have made many incredible friends on the knife network forums. Lately ive been wondering around here alot and enjoying every minute of it. My wife Kathy and I have 5 kids, live in Utah and love to be in the outdoors huntin Elk & Deer and whaterver else gives us an oportunity to be as a family. Everyone feel free to visit my website and shoot me an email if ever you want to chat.

Shane

www.shaneivieknives.com
shaneivie@gmail.com

Well.. my name is Frank Sawyer.. I have been making knives for over 2 yrs.. but I have to this day.. sold... 3 the normal way.. and 4 the desperate way (E-bay). I have a all but ignored web site: http://www.sawyerknives.com

I love making knives.. but am a terrible salesman... I have a real job that I work at every weekend.. (12 hr shifts). I have never been to a custom knife show because there is only one in Austin Texas and it is of course on the weekend.. when I work.
I don't make much money and can't afford to take off to go to other knife shows.
Those of you that get to travel around the country to knife shows in places like Las Vegas.. don't know how lucky you are. I'd like to go to Las Vegas some day.. I hear it's nice.
My knives.. look real good.. sitting on my shelf gathering dust.. but I'd rather they be used by someone.. someday.

Frank, Hey buddy.....Hard to believe you have a hard time selling your knives. You make some dandies. I really like your small fighter and the drop point hunter. I always enjoy reading your posts in the different forums. Dont let those knives gather dust.......Maybe we can make a trade one of these days.

Talk to ya soon,

Shane

www.shaneivieknives.com
shane@gmail.com

Hi - My name is Scott Tucker. I live in Delavan WI (Southern). I make knives for hobby and it has pretty much overtaken my previous passion for woodwoking. I have only made about a dozen and I see improvement with each one but wow, I've got a ways to go! I dabble with forging and want to get more into that. Don't get on the Forum that often but I really enjoy it. I always seem to learn something and thats great. I work as a CNC programmer for a forging company so I would have a good supply of rough steel except it is almost always too big for me to hammer out. If anyone has a press or power hammer and is interested, I have some D2 and some 440C thats too big for me to work. (Maybe work out a trade) Thanks - Tuck

Just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself to those here don't already know me. Many of the folks here will know me from the outpost on ckd as the same name.

My name is Joshua Lange, born in AZ. Lived in KY, CA and TX and now live in Bloomsburg PA. Most of my work is rustic, love a forged finish, love to make hawks and bowies.

howdy to all the folks who frequent the ckd but never see me post here. Will try to keep up over here.

Howdy to Gib, Chuck and J. and all the rest who I have seen over here so far(lots more names but the mind is bad), I'm guessing Bob Appleby is around here somewhere too.

josh

Hi all. I made a bunch of knives a few years back, and actually posted on this forum. Since then, I have married and have more children, and now that I am starting to put the forge back together, I decided to maybe check this forum out. I apologize for the "handle" , I post on a custom rodbuilding site under my actual name. Which is Levi Farster by the way. I just dont like to put my name out there for anyone to see, just superstition I guess. I dont really have too many questions, over the 3 years that I made knives, I made alot but never sold any. A labor of love. For those of you who remember, and advised me against it, I did make some ( 2) magnesium blades. They were disappointingly easy to break. Still alive, by the way. Im going to make some fishing poles and fillet knives in matched sets, Im thinking Ibex horn handles or something. Respectfully and as always, Levi Sinclair Farster.

Back