Who The Heck Are Ya?

jdlange said:
Just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself to those here don't already know me. Many of the folks here will know me from the outpost on ckd as the same name.

My name is Joshua Lange, born in AZ. Lived in KY, CA and TX and now live in Bloomsburg PA. Most of my work is rustic, love a forged finish, love to make hawks and bowies.

howdy to all the folks who frequent the ckd but never see me post here. Will try to keep up over here.

Howdy to Gib, Chuck and J. and all the rest who I have seen over here so far(lots more names but the mind is bad), I'm guessing Bob Appleby is around here somewhere too.

josh

Josh you should tie up with J. and come up to one of NECKA's hammer-In's this spring.

Well, My Name Is Tony Mock, I'm not a knifemaker, I'm a blacksmith who also makes knives.

When I began blacksmithing, my goal (like many other begining smiths) was to make knives, I made a few at the very outset, they worked, and I even sold a few of those early blades, but while I was making them, I fell in love with iron, absolutely fell in love with it. I started making all kinds of things, mostly decorative, but usually functional as well, things like candle holders, wall sconces, chanderliers, pot racks and the like.

A few years later, I started getting a lot of business from museums who wanted artifacts duplicated to the enth detail, including materials used, and procedures. (ever done a damascus blade start to finish without even the convenience of sandpaper?) So I started doing that, this was when I started playing with damascus and wootz steels, and trying to find a large source for wrought iron.

If you're ever in a museum (over in europe mostly, over a dozen at this point) and there is iron work on display, look for a small mark of YS on the lower (or back) portion of it, if you find it, it's my work.

lately I've been getting more and more orders in for knives, and so I've begun to make more recently.

I'm far from a highly skilled knife maker, but hey, I enjoy all aspects of it, and they sell alright.

Tony

P.S. I make knives when I'm not making other stuff like these: (each of these has a minumum of about 15 forge welds, all drop tong)
rose_close.jpg

1-11-05rose1.jpg

Howdy All,
My name is John Reeve. I'm a knife-maker newbie going on about five years now... Probably a familiar story...

Anyway, I live in S.E. Washington, about 20 minutes north of Bruce Bump.
A truly inspirational maker, that Mr. Bump is...

Kate and I live on a small farmette where we practice self-sufficiency and self-sustainment as much as possible. Kate's becoming a very accomplished sheath-maker.

I chanced upon this site/forum and it looks to me like a very talented, collective bunch of "brains" to pick :) Looking forward to all the reads...
P.S. I would've used my real name but am so used to "user" names when I register... now I don't know how to change it...

Hi my name's Brandon Jones I'm 18 years old. I live in Benton City, Missouri, whish is a small town of about 180 people give or take a few. I kind of stumbled accross this forum when I did a google search for a review of Cold Steel's OSS. Which is an allright knife as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, I've been interested in knives since I was around 10 years old, and just lately I've realised that what I'd like to do with my life is make knives. I've yet to actually make a knife all though I did try to make one out of an old mower blade, lol. Yeah that didnt work :). Well this is the best knife forum I've ever come across, and I thank the people who keep it up and post such interesting topics.

My name is Jimmy Fikes. I lurk here occasionally. I learn more by reading the posts than I do posting my own nonsense. I'm one of the original five ABS Mastersmiths... along with Jim Schmidt, Don Fogg, Don Hastings and Bill Moran. I've been forging blades since 1969 and Damascus blades since 1972. With the help of Don Fogg, Jim Schmidt and others I set up the first Ashokan seminar at the request of Kent Reeves, the then director of the Ashokan Field Campus. I'd lectured each year for some time at the hammerin for blacksmiths at Ashokan. All this and a buck will get me a cup of coffee almost anywhere. I don't take myself seriously (nor should you)... but I take my work of forging blades very seriously indeed.

The handle I use... Oley Fermo... is a character in a novel I wrote that was published in audio format a few years ago. Oley's a blacksmith / bladesmith... of course.

Lots of information here and a bunch of good guys and gals. Hope that the new year is treating you all well.

Cheers!

Jimmy

OleyFermo said:
My name is Jimmy Fikes. I lurk here occasionally. I learn more by reading the posts than I do posting my own nonsense. I'm one of the original five ABS Mastersmiths... along with Jim Schmidt, Don Fogg, Don Hastings and Bill Moran. I've been forging blades since 1969 and Damascus blades since 1972. With the help of Don Fogg, Jim Schmidt and others I set up the first Ashokan seminar at the request of Kent Reeves, the then director of the Ashokan Field Campus. I'd lectured each year for some time at the hammerin for blacksmiths at Ashokan. All this and a buck will get me a cup of coffee almost anywhere. I don't take myself seriously (nor should you)... but I take my work of forging blades very seriously indeed.

The handle I use... Oley Fermo... is a character in a novel I wrote that was published in audio format a few years ago. Oley's a blacksmith / bladesmith... of course.

Lots of information here and a bunch of good guys and gals. Hope that the new year is treating you all well.

Cheers!

Jimmy

Wow! I am seriously humbled.

John

Welcome everyone. It's nice to meet all the beginners and Masters at the craft. Hope ya'll are having a great new year. Lookin' forward to many new an exciting things here in shoptalk.

I am Emre Kipmen, 32 years old , male, from Turkey. I finished two Universities, first Computer Programing, finally Protohistoria Middle Eastern Archaeology. I have been working sometimes as a programmer sometimes as an archaeolog in several excavations dating from 7000 BC to 550 BC. in 2003 there was a sudden change in my life. I had to fulfill my military obligation (In Turkey every male has to attend to army for 8 months to 18 months). Before i went, i quit my job and left my master studies in University. I returned back to Bodrum, where my parents live, and i started to build a forge. The decission was sudden and for no reason. May be i was bored of city life and carrier oriented life style.

I am making tools for my friends needs, knives for my liking and sometimes selling them. Sometimes i start forging a sword but never finished one. I am a perfectionist and it is a kind sickness for me. I never make anything completely if its not going perfectly (for me). Therefore my production speed is very low compared to a knife maker but I am a fulltime bladesmith.

Yes i am a newbee in this business but i have a constant income (rented my house in Ankara), i never spend it and the income is spent on my projects. I am pretty sure of i will be somekind of decent bladesmith in 20 years or so. I have all the time, no need to haste :)

OleyFermo said:

Cheers!

Jimmy

Jimmy, we need to get your post numbers up some here. :)
I'd welcome the input for sure..and
I don't Think you'd throw much nonsense this way.. :)

welcome the new and the old. OLD :confused:
that would be that IG guy,
he remembers when dirt was new.. :) :D

Welcome to Shop Talk, all you new folks! Good to have you hear. Fresh blood is always good (it gives Indian George someone else to pick on besides me).

Now if you all will take a moment to fill out your profiles and put your real names somewhere in your signature, we can all get down to the magic of making knives! :D

jhiggins said:
Welcome to Shop Talk, all you new folks! Good to have you hear. Fresh blood is always good (it gives Indian George someone else to pick on besides me).

Now if you all will take a moment to fill out your profiles and put your real names somewhere in your signature, we can all get down to the magic of making knives! :D
Higgy: But you are so easy to pick on.
:p :p
Real name and where you are located. I have a open invite (except for Higgy) for people to visit my shop.
I'll be taking on another student this spring since GrassHoppa is pretty well on his own. :D (Thank God) ;)

My name is Ron.
I live in winnipeg canada I want to build a few knives, well put the handles on the blades.
My father had a old hunting knife that I had broken the tip off when I was a kid, my father had taken it to work and ground a new tip on to it. I reciently found this knife and wanted to re work it and fix it up for my son. This led to the idea of building him something new. So far I have been searching this fourm for how to and ideas of what I can make. So so far I am a real newbie as I have not really actually made anything yet.
Cheers Ron

Ron: Welcome We have a bunch of nice guys here (Higgy??) and don't think any question is stupid. Just ask and you will receive help no matter how incidental. :D

I am Gerry Drew, a part time maker that produces about 100 knives per year. With my day job and working in my shop in the evenings, I seldom get to use this forum (that and I hate computers, ATMs and other electonic gear.) I sold my first ugly knife in 1980 but my work has improved greatly since. I will be retiring in a few years and hope to make my hobby a part time job. I have to agree with fsayer, making knives is easy; sales are tough. I could easily make 10 knives a week in my shop but would have to stand behind a table in a gun and knife show every week-end to get them sold. Not worth it!

Back